PDA

View Full Version : Luggage for Full Size Car

Curious
12-02-2009, 15:20
I am hoping to book a mid-size and be upgraded to a full size. Does anyone have any experience with how much luggage fits in a full size? I need to fit 2 large luggage and a stroller.

Thanks[msnsmile]

blott
12-02-2009, 15:59
Just a small point but what happens if you don't get a free upgrade and end up with the medium size that you booked? It's always pretty unwise to rely on a free upgrade at the rental desk as sometimes free upgrades don't happen.

If you've booked an all-inclusive rental (for example through this site), then if you have to pay to upgrade at the rental desk it will cost you far more than the price of a higher grade vehicle was if you chose to book this initially.

Trunk size isn't too huge on either a medium or full size car - there's a guideline on the website at the top of each forum page. If you have the 'hard' type large suitcases, they're unlikely to fit into the trunk of either size car (in my experience as the trunks aren't very high) but the stroller and one large hard type suitcase will probably be fine. If you've got the 'squashy' type suitcases, they'll probably fit fine in either.

sammibabe
13-02-2009, 00:45
I would go along with Blott and book what you want. If you have to pay it will cost you more. Could you get by without an upgrade if you don't get it free and you don't want to pay? How many people in the car; could you use a back seat. We have managed with 5 of us in a full size but it was very packed to and from the airport (but it is only 2 journeys) Last time with the children being older (2 teenagers + 1 child) we had a 7 seater.

Curious
13-02-2009, 01:38
I have 1 large and 1 med. size soft luggage & one stroller folded down. Then I have three kids (one car seat). At home we manage to drive around in a mid-size car. There is not a lot of room. The luggage will only be in the car to and from the Airport. I am just trying to justify paying the extra if it's not necessary.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Katys Grandad
13-02-2009, 09:05
Like you, I don't like to spend money unnecessarily but when looked at in terms of the overall holiday cost, paying the difference between mid and full size is pretty insignificant.

Don't forget that the same upgrade offer is available from the Full Size to a Premium with Budget. Not guaranteed but it does seem to happen quite often.

lafifille
13-02-2009, 12:58
Don't know about you but I always come back from the US with more luggage, sometimes way bigger, if not necessarily heavier (they sell very appealing stuffed animals in the parks [msnwink]). I'm really not a shopping person, but now I always bring an extra soft luggage for those $1 or $2 souvenir T-shirts, mugs, keychains, blah blah. And Florida is the place for bargains on well-known brands. All in all you cannot really escape it, and you want to bring back the usual souvenirs from the parks anyway.

I would go for the size I really need to begin with, as Katys Grandad says the cost isn't significant (less than £20 ?) and you might very well be upgraded to Premium which is even nicer. Renting a car in the US (from economy to full-size) I've always been upgraded, but maybe I'm just lucky [msnsmile].