PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trip Planning

Sunnysider
04-12-2003, 02:18
Hi all,

Trying to sort out some sort of itinerary for our trip at Christmas. Trip is for two adults no kids. Really want to cram in as much as possible, not too bothered about where we are for Christmas Day or NYE but just want to try and avoid the busiest days at the parks - although know they will all be busy at that time.

What do you think of this, any comments or suggestions:

Tue 23 - Animal Kingdom AM - Magic Kingdom PM
Wed 24 - Seaworld
Thu 25 - Epcot
Fri 26 - Magic Kingdom
Sat 27 - Universal
Sun 28 - Universal IOA
Mon 29 - Busch Gardens
Tue 30 - Free
Wed 31 - MGM
Thu 1 - Universal/Universal IOA

I know its busy but just want to get up early and go for it. Really don't mind what park we do which day but if there are any days that are busier than others, want to avoid them. Any ideas?

Many Thanks

fiona
04-12-2003, 03:42
We have always found Universal quieter on Christmas Day than Disney, and they put on special Blues Brothers with a Christmas Theme. There is also the Macey's Parade.

Don't get me wrong - it is still busy, but not as busy as Disney. Anyone been to Epcot on Christmas Day? Or at least, Universal parks are not full by 10.00am.

esprit
04-12-2003, 06:22
I would swap Seaworld to Xmas Day and do Epcot on Xmas Eve. Seaworld isnt so festive but will be a lot quieter than any Disney park on Xmas day. I dont think you can do Animal Kimgdom justice in four hours. Universal is quieter on NYE than the Disney parks so I would swap Universal Studios and MGM over.

caroline
04-12-2003, 11:23
I think you maybe a little ambitious only allowing one day free, I'm shattered just from reading your itinerary;)
But maybe your legs are younger than mine:D

chrisj
04-12-2003, 12:57
I agree, think only one rest day isnt enough

chrizzy100
04-12-2003, 19:13
quote:Originally posted by caroline

I think you maybe a little ambitious only allowing one day free, I'm shattered just from reading your itinerary;)
But maybe your legs are younger than mine:D

We did everything in one week...with a small child and two older people without a days rest.....I don't think we've ever have had a days rest any time we've gone....the longest I've had my bum on a sofa in Orlando was when we were there looking at houses...and we spent the day in the villa we ended up buying to make sure it really was the one.....well we knew it was....but it was nice to be able to hang around so long and be extra sure.....most of the time we leave the hotel at 8 in the morning...and don't see it again until 11 at night.....I just can't stay still when I'm away...I lose tons of weight walking...and I eat like theres no tomorrow....:D

Ruth
04-12-2003, 22:48
We did Christmas Day at Epcot 2 years ago and it was fine, much quieter than the Magic Kingdom which had a HUGE queue at the car park:)

Sunnysider
05-12-2003, 00:56
Thanks for the advice. Initially I did have Seaworld for Christmas Day and Epcot for Christmas Eve, and am still undecided between the two. Really don't mind where we are for Christmas just want to avoid the busiest days if possible.

I totally agree about the rest days, the schedule scares me looking at it, but, we are just going to go for it, and, if we need to take more rest we will. Leaving on 2 Jan to go down to Miami and chill out there for a few days before going home so there will be some rest just not during the parks!

esprit
05-12-2003, 08:19
If you go to Epcot, either on Xmas Eve or Xmas Day, try and book the Candlight Processional package ( you book a meal in certaim restaurants and get reserved seats at Candlelight Prccessional) Ir really is lovely and Christmassy but very difficult to get a seat unless you have reserved. People who missed one showing were starting to queue up immediately for the next which was hours later when we went on Xmas Eve. Just a thought.

Sunnysider
05-12-2003, 11:12
Thanks for the advice. How do I go about doing this? & is there somewhere you would recommend, or at this late stage is it just a case of anywhere there is a space?!

Harmony
05-12-2003, 17:27
You can find details and options under special events on the WDW web site. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/waltdisneyworld/parksandmore/parkevents/parkeventindex?id=SEHolidaysAroundTheWorldPrkEvt We have just booked for the 23rd as Xmas eve was fulled booked. We had to phone WDW dining reservations to make the booking.

Jeff

MTP
07-12-2003, 20:09
Just a quick thought. We were one of those people that Esprit describes last year, queing up for the Processional on Christmas Day - but well worth it. This year we were thinking of getting PS package for a meal after the later show, for either the 29th of 30th December. I was thinking that if we choose the right restaurant then it would be possible for us to see the Candleight Processional and then be able to watch the fireworks from our restaurant. Obviously there will need to be a certain element of luck on the night for it to work, but we can but try.

For both those nights the Illuminations are at 9.30pm. From memory the last show last year was at 5.00 pm, so it may not be possible to even do. Would anyone have any recommendations as to which restaraunt to watch the fireworks from?

Ruth
07-12-2003, 23:55
I tried to book a package on Friday MTP but the restaurant I wanted as we have small children was already sold out for the whole time we are over[msncry]I guess we will just have to queue for the Candlelight Processional. Can anybody advise how early we will need to get there to get seats?

MTP
08-12-2003, 00:49
I phoned tonight and there seems to be plenty of availability of seats at the processional for the 29th and 30th (6.45 show), but not for the restaurant that I thought you could watch the fireworks from (The Rose and Crown Dining Room) at the time of the fireworks. So we will ditch that plan. But as we are wanting to see the Candlelight Processional anyway we will just book PS seats for a restaurant and show to give us ease of access to the show. Anyone have any recommendations for dining at Epcot - we haven't done any real dining there yet.

tinkerbell
10-12-2003, 14:25
No me either!

Does it cost to book PS for this show?

I have booked the Epcot Aqua Tour, or something like that! It's 3 hours learning about behind the scenes of the Living Seas and then a 30 minute air-snorkel through the main aquarium! Can't wait! Was wondering, if this tour does not require park admission, does that mean that we could forget to leave straight away and stay for IllumiNations?!

MTP
11-12-2003, 04:26
For busy times (like Christmas Day and NYE) I think they have a cancellation policy, but don't take a deposit, if you don't cancel with 48(?) hours notice then you will be charged if you don't show. For dining packages, like for the Processional or Fantasmic, then I am not sure about for normal times, but we have paid in advance for a package price for the 29th Dec. There are three levels of dining "experience". We are going to the Teppanyaki Dining Room and for three adults and two infants it is $140. This is appetiser, entree and desert and I think soft drinks. Not including Lobster or specials.

I beleive that there is a lounge next to the Teppanyaki dining room, with a balcony that we will be able to view the fireworks from.

Ruth
11-12-2003, 12:17
Tink, I would be very surprised if this tour does not require park admission, most of them do.

quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell
I have booked the Epcot Aqua Tour, or something like that! It's 3 hours learning about behind the scenes of the Living Seas and then a 30 minute air-snorkel through the main aquarium! Can't wait! Was wondering, if this tour does not require park admission, does that mean that we could forget to leave straight away and stay for IllumiNations?!

tinkerbell
11-12-2003, 20:28
The CM who booked it for me told me clearly that this tour does not require park admission. So I'm hoping he's right, otherwise I will now complain when we get there!!!

Ruth
12-12-2003, 02:57
Well you should be fine then, the CM are usually very well versed in the rules:)

quote:Originally posted by tinkerbell

The CM who booked it for me told me clearly that this tour does not require park admission. So I'm hoping he's right, otherwise I will now complain when we get there!!!