PDA

View Full Version : Travel City Sunshine First

poopppy
03-12-2003, 19:23
I ahve just booked my wife, or two children and myself on a fly drive with Travel City and we have gone for the Sunshine First upgrade and I just wondered if anyone else has upgraded to first class with Travel City and if so, did you like it. Was it worth the extra, as it certainly seems excellent value.

suemoo
04-12-2003, 12:17
Hi
We upgraded August 2002 worth every penny
I slept for 6 hours solid on return journey never done that before (wonder I didnt get DVT)
champagne or boarding ?????? dont know what legroom as we were the front seats so unlimited. Our teenage daughters loved it, but sadly now we are homeowners we cant afford it!
We did try to book it again but they said only if we booked their accomodation, as if! dont know how you managed to get it without accomodation but good luck to you
have a super holiday
sue
[website address edited out]

kay9jess
24-12-2003, 15:43
i`ve been thinking of booking with tc,but the age of the aircraft have put me off,one was built in 1970 and 1972 both run by japan airlines,they also use air icelandic air which was also built in 1970.after reading previous posting with regard to the interior of the aircraft it does not fill me with confidence..

MrEktion
02-01-2004, 17:21
Poopppy - I think the pitch in Sunshine First is 54".

Kay9Jess - I have travelled with TCD cattle class 3 times now and found the experience reasonably pleasant and significantly cheaper than scheduled flights with the same 31" seat pitch as BA, BMI and Virgin.

I think they use European Aviation Air Charter exclusively on their flights not Air Atlanta Europe or Air Atlanta Icelandic (who Virgin lease their Manchester 747-200 from) anymore.

The aircraft are old late 1970's planes the current fleet were all ex-BA aircraft unitl 2001 (They are 5 x 747-200's G-BDXE, F, G, H, & J) In fact many of the major airlines are still using the same type and age of planes - the Virgin Manchester to Orlando service for example.

They have 4 more 747's due in 2004, two of these (G-VCAT & G-VRUM) are ex-Virgin and were previously owned by Cathay Pacific I think.

All of this Anorak nonsence can be found at

http://www.jethros.i12.com/FLEETS/Listings/E_A_A_C.html.

if you are interested[msneek]

With regards to the interior they are old but not falling apart, it's not as light and airy as a brand new 777 or Airbus 330 but it's still better than flying any other charter with 28" seat pitch or Virgin (from Manchester) for £250 per seat more!!!

Mr Ektion

DaveL
02-01-2004, 19:05
The posts in any of the Florida forums on EAL seem to be either 100% for or 100% against with no middle ground. I have never flown with them but two sets of my recent guests have and I asked both for their views.

They both thought that it was good value for money. Food was normal cattle class, movie on a main screen hard to see in some seats but as your really buying transport from UK to Orlando they said they would use them again.

Regards Dave

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
02-01-2004, 19:12
The aircraft must be maintained to a very high standard as the CAA is one of the most stringent authorities (if not the most stringent) in the world and they would not grant a Certificate of Airworthiness to any aircraft they did not consider safe. I would have absolutely no problem travelling with them on this aspect alone.

MrEktion
03-01-2004, 04:03
John, you are absolutely right about the CAA!

We have just booked our 4th trip with TCD and got 6 seats and a 7 seater van fully insured for less than £1800 flying late April.

The best scheduled flight I could get from Manchester was £297 with Air Canada to Tampa via Toronto. So on that basis we got the van & insurance free, saved some more money and got a non-stop flight without the hassle of a change in Canada. The next best prices were with BMI/United via Washington and came in at £336.

I know TCD sometimes get a bad press and I can only vouch for the 3 good trips I have made with them in the past but at these kind of prices it is a no brainer[msnsmile]

Mr Ektion

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-01-2004, 08:25
I know - I'm an aircraft owner myself and the hoops they make you jump through to keep your aircraft airworthy are unbelievable (but very safe) [msnsmile2]

quote:Originally posted by MrEktion

John, you are absolutely right about the CAA!

steph_goodrum
03-01-2004, 12:32
We've paid £270 each to fly with Virgin from 13th -22nd April this year, (car hire £195) and we get air miles. So I doubt we would have saved anything by going with TCD and since Virgin offer the twilight checkin at Gatwick we know it will be a much more relaxed start to our holiday. When we can get the flights for under £150 then we may try them.

nina
03-01-2004, 22:20
We have been using TCD for over 3 years and use them twice a year, We have flown BA/Delta and American Trans Air. No one could beat TCD price on those flydrives. We have not yet gone on the jumbo but that is now booked for the 29th april. We have always found them pleasant and professional, We would not want to book on the high street ever again.

We use TCD for the fly drives and Private villa owners for our accomodation, we find this the best way, and when you have found your ideal villa owner like we have it makes a good combination. Book with TCD with confidence, im sure some people have had a bad time with them but like most companys you always do get a few people that are never satisfied, you pay your money you take your choice and with the price TCD charge you can afford to go every year. If I paid high street prices i would never be able to go out twice a year.

Just hope with all this TV advertising TCD prices don't increase too much [msncry]

MrEktion
04-01-2004, 14:43
Steph,

I agree with you on your deal from Gatwick. However, we travel from Manchester.

Unfortunately Virgin have no competition on non-stop scheduled flights from Manchester, we don't get prices of £279 from MAN-MCO very often up here.

We paid TCD under £300 each all in including car hire and full insurance, Virgin wanted almost £500 for the flight alone. Any other charter wanted over £300 plus car hire but didn't have the 31" leg room. From Manchester there is currently no better deal I can find.

I also agree that these flights with TCD may come down further to less than £150 but I needed 6 seats and couldn't risk not getting them.

Mr Ektion