PDA

View Full Version : Car hire for October.

Oceansplasher
24-01-2009, 20:32
Hello there everyone.

Just wanted peoples opinion on what they think will happen with car hire prices between now and October. Are the prices set to increase and we should book through this site now, or do you think the prices may come down in a while and it is better to wait?

Any opinions are appreciated. I am sure other people may be wondering the same thing

blott
24-01-2009, 21:12
As you can book through the OV car hire site and pay only £25 deposit until about eight weeks prior to picking up the car, why delay and risk any potential price increases? If the price happens to go up after you've booked, you don't pay the increase. :)

In my experience, prices rarely go down but more often go up. If the price does happen to go down more than £25, then cancelling your booking and making a fresh one isn't going to be financially ruinous anyway.

Paula D-S
24-01-2009, 21:31
How far in advance can you book a car through OV?

blott
24-01-2009, 21:37
As far as the system will let you so far as I know. With some car rental companies, ie Dollar, Alamo, etc this will be further ahead than others.

Katys Grandad
24-01-2009, 22:14
One of the many excellent aspects of the links above is that we always seem to get advance notice of rises so we can lock in then. Having said that, in the great scheme of things, if you're happy with the current rates, £25 to stay that way isn't a fortune. However, be careful to select what you want. I think I'm right in saying that certain changes made after a price rise aren't protected by the advance deposit.

There have just been some quite hefty rises quite recently and I'd hope that means it might be a while before we have more. It's anybody's guess though.

Oceansplasher
24-01-2009, 22:51
Thank you all for advice so far. Has anyone driven any distances in a Ford Taurus as it looks like this is probably the car we would get for Full size 2/4 door.

Thanks, Stuart

KevinT
25-01-2009, 15:06
Hi Stuart,

How many adults, children and suitcases are there in your party?

We got a Ford Taurus a few years back and found it to be a very spacious and comfortable car. On the model we had there was plenty of room for three BIG suitcases in the boot (or trunk.... as our US friends call it) and still had space for a few small bags!

The models may well have changed (I think there's now a TaurusX model that looks more like a 4x4) but certainly the one we had was great and although we didn't travel any long distances in it, I would be happy to rent one again [msnsmile2]

Try a Google search on fordvehicles.com/cars/2008taurus/ for some idea on specs.

shona
25-01-2009, 20:29
WE GOT AN EARLIER TIP FROM RODGER THAT PRICES WERE ABOUT TO RISE AND BOOKED WITH ALAMO. WE HAVE ALREADY SAVED £100!!! OUR FLIGHTS HAVE SINCE BEEN CHANGED TO ANOTHER AIRPORT AND WE WERE ABLE TO CHANGE THIS WITH US CARHIRE WITHOUT ANY COST AND WITH NO HASSLE AT ALL, THEY WERE MORE THAN HELPFUL. THIS WILL BE OUR 6TH VISIT TO FLORIDA AND OUR SECOND WITH US CARHIRE, WE WOULDN'T LOOK ANYWHERE ELSE NOW. PRICE IS IMPORTANT BUT SO IS THE SERVICE WHICH IS EXELLENT.

Oceansplasher
25-01-2009, 22:33
Hi Kevin

There will only be me and the wife on this trip, 2 suitcases of reasonable size going out and certainly 3 suitcases coming back plus hand luggage. We have normally only hired an I2 before but as we will be touring around more (maybe driving 1500 to 2000 miles) wanted something a bit nicer and more comfortable to drive, so thought of the Taurus level. What do you think?

Stuart

KevinT
26-01-2009, 15:07
I think the Taurus would be an ideal choice in that case Stuart!

Have a really great time in October. (We like to go then as the weather is normally perfect!!).

(I can certainly recommend Roger (UScarhire links from this website)if you want a hassle free car rental with superb customer care!!) [msnsmile2]

Oceansplasher
26-01-2009, 21:36
Thanks then Kevin. Will get it sorted sometime soon.

Yes, it is an annual trip for us, usually in October as we can combine Halloween which we love and also start of christmas items in stores, and of course great weather!! (Less people around in parks also!)

Cheers, Stuart

roger
26-01-2009, 22:20
With changes to existing bookings, if you are amending airports, times, dates etc that result in the same length of rental then the price will not change even if the rates have since increased (no admin /amendment fee and no change in the rental rate).

If you change the car type or the number of days of the rental then you move on to the new rate at that time as effectively your order is rebooked. Again, there is no admin fee, so only the difference in rental price is charged.