PDA

View Full Version : esta forms

maisy
20-01-2009, 05:23
Just to let you know
Travelled with virgin Jan 15 filled in esta forms before travel this made no difference still had to fill in green forms
Also anybody interested coldest weather in jan for yesrs

dcnurse
20-01-2009, 08:09
WE were told at Atlanta that the esta did come into effect from Jan 12 but they were just reminding people that these should be completed before travel at the moment (hence airlines still getting passengers to complete green visa waiver form) but before long airlines will be fined if passengers travel without registering.

ShirleyD
20-01-2009, 14:41
You will still have to fill in the green form for some time yet. I guess they want to iron out all the problems before they stop the paper.

Sniff
20-01-2009, 17:31
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by dcnurse
WE were told at Atlanta that the esta did come into effect from Jan 12 but they were just reminding people that these should be completed before travel at the moment (hence airlines still getting passengers to complete green visa waiver form) but before long airlines will be fined if passengers travel without registering.
[/quote]
I mentioned this in another thread...I am not sure airlines can be fined for something over which they have no control. If a passenger tells them they have registered, the airlines have no way of verifying the truth or otherwise of that claim.

steph_goodrum
20-01-2009, 18:21
They do Keith as they will just have to ask the guest to provide their ESTA registration number prior to boarding.

Sniff
20-01-2009, 18:51
Steph, will they be able to verify that it's a valid registration number and for the person concerned, though? I'm not aware that the check-in agents will have access to the ESTA database.

steph_goodrum
20-01-2009, 20:45
They may not be able to verify it but having a number that has been given to them should exonerate them from charges as they will have made best efforts to comply. Much as in the same way as at present they have no way of checking if people who use the Visa waiver to enter are legitimately entitled to do so.

DevonWoody
21-01-2009, 14:15
ESTA became compulsory for travellers from the UK to the USA from 12th Jan 09 who are in the Visa Waiver Program. If you do not complete the ESTA before you travel then you WILL NOT be able to board your flight. It should be completed at least 72 hours before departure so its best to complete your ESTA as soon as you have booked your flights. You will get a quick response to your application.You do not need to take any registration number with you but this number will be needed to access your online details to edit future applications. Your ESTA lasts for 2 years. In the future once airlines are fully linked to receive ESTA details you will no longer have to fill in the green forms before entry to the USA.

ShirleyD
21-01-2009, 14:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DevonWoody
If you do not complete the ESTA before you travel then you WILL NOT be able to board your flight.
[/quote]

This maybe what the paperwork says, but in reality, people are being allowed to travel without it at the moment. Airlines are being asked to tell passengers they might have a delay in immigration without it.

Sniff
21-01-2009, 14:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DevonWoody
In the future once airlines are fully linked to receive ESTA details you will no longer have to fill in the green forms before entry to the USA.
[/quote]
That's my point...I don't believe that the USA will ever provide access to their ESTA database for the airlines, so they will never have a way of verifying it.

ShirleyD
21-01-2009, 20:36
I agree Keith, after all the main info, address PP number are added with the APIS, so other than certain declarations about your intentions whilst in the USA, the whole thing is a repeat of what they already know about us. The airlines can be responsible for checking travel documents, but not about anything else. After a while, it will be known by most travellers this form needs completing online and those that don't, will be sorted out on arrival.

Pudders
21-01-2009, 21:25
We are travelling out in April. We have yet to change Pippa's maiden name on her passport. Should we change her passport name and then register on ESTA or can you do it before hand?

Thanks - Clayton

ShirleyD
21-01-2009, 22:10
If you plan to change the passport before you travel, then I would wait, there is no point in doing the form and then having to change it. (Although if the passport number doesn't change when they update it, I would guess it is ok) Do make sure you book your ticket in whatever name is on the passport though

Sniff
22-01-2009, 00:06
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ShirleyD
If you plan to change the passport before you travel, then I would wait, there is no point in doing the form and then having to change it. (Although if the passport number doesn't change when they update it, I would guess it is ok) Do make sure you book your ticket in whatever name is on the passport though
[/quote]
I would wait until you get the new passport. There are only a few pieces of data which can be changed online after you have registered (flight date, flight number, address of first night stay, etc).

Data which is more personal to you (address, passport number, name etc) cannot be changed online and you must call a given number. I do not know how easy (or not) this is to do.

steph_goodrum
22-01-2009, 01:17
Also you will have a problem with the ticket, if you change the passport now, I assume you have booked in her maiden name? It must be the same as on the passport but she can continue using her maiden name as long as she wants.

lafifille
02-02-2009, 19:09
Even if you've already applied for ESTA you can always apply again, whatever the reason: lost reference number, wrong name, new passport... No big deal, except you have to type it all again.[msnscared]
As Steph says, it much more important to be extra careful with the names printed on your plane tickets, big trouble if they don't match your passport.