PDA

View Full Version : E2 visa problems

catfish
01-12-2003, 20:48
[msnsad]
Can anybody help with a few problems? When setting up a business from new, what would be the total investment needed? Can the visa be processed in Florida? I have been trying to secure an escrow account for the balance of the set up costs but nobody wants my money! If the visa can be set up in Florida approximately how long would it take? Is there anybody in the Port St Lucie area who could go and mow the lawn?[?]

florida4sun
02-12-2003, 02:26
You have work cut out etting up from new. they dont like it anymore. They would sooner see a company that is up and running with a proven profit for the owner and employing 2 or more US locals. There is no set amount for the investment but over $100k seems to be the figure.
The visa has to go through the Embassey in your country of origin.
Use a good attorney you will stay in the system forever without one.

Martin

quote:Originally posted by catfish

[msnsad]
Can anybody help with a few problems? When setting up a business from new, what would be the total investment needed? Can the visa be processed in Florida? I have been trying to secure an escrow account for the balance of the set up costs but nobody wants my money! If the visa can be set up in Florida approximately how long would it take? Is there anybody in the Port St Lucie area who could go and mow the lawn?[?]

esprit
02-12-2003, 06:38
I know of someone who recently got an E2 setting up a business from scratch. He had to invest in equipment to show commitment and secure contracts to show to the embassy before he got the visa, Getting contracts whilst you are still in the UK and unsure of whether or not you will get the visa is difficult. Who will trust you when you arnt even sure of your position yourself???. A kind lady off this forum did me such a letter of support to send in with my visa application as did another homeowner. But the main part of my business was already set up and I had to purchase existing contracts. This is something most of us have to settle on doing and yes, it galls as the businesses you buy are often overprioed and there is no guarantee that you will keep the contracts after closing anyway. This is a hire and fire society and people shop around for suppliers and dont stick to one. I know of a number of people here who have lost some of their contracts within weeks of closing. Contracts tend to be on a 30 day notice period and just the change in ownership can trigger a change. But if you want to live here, it is a process you just have to grit your teeth and go through.
Investment is variable but actual or projected owner benefit of over $60,000 needs to be shown. You apply to the embassy where you live, so London Im afraid. If you are in the US say on a B2, you still have to go back to London. I am resident here but I still live in the UK according to immigration. Your immigrstion attorney will have an escrow lawyer. Dont try and do E2 alone unless ypu really know what you are doing. My attorney charged £2500 plus VAT and was worth every penny and some more.

PS I got my visa through in five weeks eight months ago. Recent applications by friends seem to be much slower, three months or more.

catfish
02-12-2003, 13:34
Thanks for the advise Julie. Our business is all set up and waiting to go. It's so frustrating. Everytime we take one step forward someone, somewhere, kicks us back. Would you be allowed to tell us who your attorney is? We've been working on this for so many months now it seems never ending. The business is based on proven franchises that have been accepted.

esprit
03-12-2003, 07:52
I dont think anyone will mind. Lesley Sillitto, www.investorvisausa.com. She has got several hundread E2s through over the past thirteen years and has a success rate in the high 90 percents. She wont take on anything she doesnt think has a good chance of success. Part of her fee is only paid if and when you get the visa unlike some attornies who demand payment up front and regardless of success.
Do you mean you are buying an American franchise? We nearly did that. Be careful as the conditions of some are draconian. In fact be careful, full stop.