PDA

View Full Version : dirver's licence

ceecee
15-01-2009, 18:17
hi all
am i right in thinking that to hire a car in the us you need to have both parts of your uk licence i.e. the paper part and the photocard? I have both parts but my brother doesn't so he'll need to get that sorted asap.
thanx
cc

blott
15-01-2009, 18:28
You always need both parts, even in the UK!

Sometimes the car rental companies look at both parts and sometimes they don't. But as you can't rely on them not looking and you need both parts in the UK anyway, it'd be better sorted in any case.

Alternatively, if your brother only has the 'old style' licence which didn't arrive with two parts, ie no photo card, then that's perfectly acceptable.

ceecee
15-01-2009, 22:41
[msnwink] i know you always need both...my brother has the old style - never been changed since he passed his test 20 years ago!

DLB-GOUROCK
15-01-2009, 23:49
I understand that you will need both parts, not necessarily when you pick up the car, but definitely when you are driving on the road as if you were unfortunate to be involved in an incident and the police were present you have to be able to present your driving licence (both parts) together with the rental agreement / insurance on demand.

Should have added I believe that you also need your passport when driving too.

Can those in the know (Roger) confirm exactly what documents we need to have when driving in the US ?

roger
16-01-2009, 00:44
To collect your car you need your license (either both parts if you have the newer type or paper only part if you have the old type). With the newer type you wont need to show a passport as you just need photo ID so the photo part of your license is adequate. If you have the paper only type then show your passport as photo ID.

When driving you must always have your license with you as well as all the paperwork you were given on collection of the car, as this proves you are insured if stopped.

I'm not aware that you need your passport with you when driving. Most people would prefer to keep their passport back at their villa in a safe place rather than carry it with them wherever they go.

DLB-GOUROCK
16-01-2009, 00:49
Roger,

Thanks for this.

ceecee
17-01-2009, 13:23
Thank you for this.

A new problem has arisen - i told my brother all the above - he now reveals his old paper licence has his old address on it too!!! he'll have to change it now!

Thanks again
CC

roger
17-01-2009, 18:23
The address being out of date usually isn't a problem provided you also take something to prove your old and new address. If he has time to safely renew his license then do so, but if not take the out-of-date license and don't initially tell them the address is out-dated. But if asked then he will have supporting documentation with him to show he has recently moved.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ceecee
Thank you for this.

A new problem has arisen - i told my brother all the above - he now reveals his old paper licence has his old address on it too!!! he'll have to change it now!

Thanks again
CC
[/quote]

sunseeker
18-01-2009, 00:54
having the incorrect address on your driving license certainly is a problem as its against the law not to notify the dvla of any changes. I am pretty sure the same goes for the USA too. The law is the law and nobody should advocate anyone to do it.

Dave

roger
18-01-2009, 02:22
That's true - if stopped then you he should also produce the documentatoin he has with him to demonstrate the change of address. It really is best for him to send it off and have it updated before he travels.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker
having the incorrect address on your driving license certainly is a problem as its against the law not to notify the dvla of any changes. I am pretty sure the same goes for the USA too. The law is the law and nobody should advocate anyone to do it.

Dave
[/quote]

Ian Dee
19-01-2009, 02:50
When your brother changes the address on his licnec, he will have to get the new pohoto licence, so a photo as well!.

Whilst I have never been asked for the paper part of the licence to pick up the hire car, I always have it handy just in case.

(BTW what a stupid system to have a paper part!, WHy cannot they record all they need as and when!)

E. Cosgrove
20-01-2009, 11:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger

I'm not aware that you need your passport with you when driving. Most people would prefer to keep their passport back at their villa in a safe place rather than carry it with them wherever they go.
[/quote]

You do need your passport as photo id if you only have the old style licence.

We know this to our cost as we were stopped in one of the NP's for doing 15 mph in a 10 mph zone. The Park Ranger who stopped us was only doing his job but he was not very pleasant and called us everything from stupid to wreckless he then went on to rant about the style of our drivers licences. When we told him we were only doing as we had been advised and leaving our passports in the safe he made some very derogatory remarks about UK tourists[msnembarrased]

Thankfully he is the only unpleasant Park Ranger we have ever met and we have met many on our travels, but it was a lesson learned the hard way and now we always carry our passports[msneek]

One day we will get around to having new style licences[msnsmile2]

Sniff
20-01-2009, 17:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger
That's true - if stopped then you he should also produce the documentatoin he has with him to demonstrate the change of address. It really is best for him to send it off and have it updated before he travels.

Dave
[/quote]
[/quote]
Not totally true actually. The DVLA is keen to keep their databases up to date, but they cannot cope with all situations.

For example, I am resident in Germany, but I have a European driving licence issues in the UK. The German authorities will not give me a European driving licence issues in Germany, because I already hold a valid European driving licence (this was not always the case but has been for some years now). However the DVLA cannot cope with a foreign address on a UK-issued licence. So my UK-issued licence has the address of my parents, where I have never actually lived. When renting a car I used to try and explain this situation when the rental company asked me 'Is this your current address?' but they don't understand it either, so now I just say "Yes of course it is'.

OK, that's not a common situation I admit, but I just wanted to point out that it's not against the law to have an incorrect address on your driving licence, and in my situation the current laws actually prevent me from putting my valid address on there.

Incidentally the UK Passport Agency also has me listed at a UK address at which I have never lived (in this case my mother-in-law's address) because I got a new passport whilst visiting the UK from Germany, and it seems the UKPA cannot issue a passport without a UK address, even if it's a worthless one :-)

To answer the OP, I have NEVER been asked for both parts of the licence when renting a car in any other country than the UK. I'm willing to bet that most rental agents aren't even aware that there even IS another part to the UK licence.

sunseeker
20-01-2009, 22:53
The DVLA do have a scheme in place to help people without a permanent UK address to register at a care of addresses ie a relative,doctor etc but it is still an offence knowingly not to notify a change of status.

Dave

Sniff
21-01-2009, 14:21
The DVLA do have a scheme in place to help people without a permanent UK address to register at a care of addresses ie a relative,doctor etc but it is still an offence knowingly not to notify a change of status.

Dave
[/quote]
I have notified them about it, they just can't do anything about it [msnwink]

steph_goodrum
21-01-2009, 16:20
Be aware though when he changes his drivers license , unlike the old one which is valid indefinitely , the new one has to be renewed every 10 years (another money making scheme for the Government. My husband refuses to change his on principle until it becomes absolutely necessary. Up till now there has never been a problem hiring a car. The regs state that you have to have a license that is valid in your own country and at present the old style ones still are.