PDA

View Full Version : EATING IN - ENGLISH TEA

carole7007
12-02-2002, 14:25
If you can't do without that cup of tea in the morning, take your own.

We have found it virtually impossible, to find anything that tasted remotely like ours, all seem to be decaffeinated. If we have found a British brand they have been expensive.

A packet of teabags doesn't take up much room !!!

Citrus-view
22-04-2004, 17:58
Hi - you will find that the tap water plays a big part.

Suggest Shorlocks in Celebration, run by a British couple who have taught their staff to boil the water first!!!

chrisj
22-04-2004, 18:35
We always take our own tea and coffee when we go away

Ruth
22-04-2004, 18:46
We drink decaf tea at home but still take our own tea bags with us as the US tea still tastes different:)

Claire M
22-04-2004, 19:54
Wasn't Sherlocks in Celebration the Tea Rooms that was on TV on BBC1 last spring. I can't think what the programme was called. It had the woman from Pop Stars presenting it.

Claire

22-04-2004, 21:14
We always take tea and coffee and use bottled spring/mineral water (you can get a 5 litre bottle for around $2) in the kettle at the villa.

Ray&Sarah
22-04-2004, 21:42
We finally managed to get a cup of tea that tasted nearly as good as home last year in our villa. We took our own brand of tea from here, used bottled water and reduced fat milk (green top & label). It tasted nearly as good as home. Don't ask for tea in a restaurant though, they never seem to use boiling water, and so the tea is awful.:)

george
23-04-2004, 02:55
Coffee to America......A bit like coals to Newcastle. I understand the tea bit though. My wife would create if we did not pack to old PG Tips.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
[/quote]

jeffc
23-04-2004, 03:49
in the english section in publix you can get pg tips and yorkshire tea

the water is 69cents in publix...

strange coming to a foriegn country and wanting it to be little or big england... but thats our english way....

the kids want a treat every week in publix english choc bars the american choc is fine but you cannot beat cad buttons the kids really miss time out bars...

SunLover
23-04-2004, 04:41
We actually find Publix own brand tea bags are pretty good.

I think a lot of it comes down to the milk you use or are used to.

But the first thing on my shopping list at Publix is a huge tub of fresh ground 100% Columbian coffee. Ohhhh Yeah !!!![:p]

Ana
23-04-2004, 05:24
My hubby is so faddy about his tea. He says the same as Hayter, that the water is not boiling so you cannot make a "proper cup of tea". I wouldn't mind but his recipe for a perfect "cuppa" is....
1)scare the water (very slightly) with the teabag
2)take it out quickly b4 it can do any lasting damage
3)add about a gallon of milk!

I'll stick to coffee!

mikewj
23-04-2004, 14:31
He'd hate my mum's cups of tea.

She leaves the teabag in until its so strong that you need pliers to get it out again. Then she points it towards the fridge to show it where the milk lives. [xx(]

I tend to drink water when we go round for a visit.

Mike

chrisj
23-04-2004, 14:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by george
Coffee to America......A bit like coals to Newcastle. I understand the tea bit though. My wife would create if we did not pack to old PG Tips.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrisj
[/quote]
[/quote]

I found their coffee bitter, and in the morning unless I have my 2 cups of coffee im moody :D

firsttimer
28-04-2004, 01:56
When we were in Epcot we went to England and in one of the shops they were selling (expensive) English tea....Twinings! I have never seen anyone buy Twinings in England!
The lad behind the till was English and we nearly went up to him to ask for PG Tips or Typhoo!!