PDA

View Full Version : fishing rigs

nicseg
06-01-2009, 18:09
Hi all
In the UK I only fish on lakes and rivers (course fishing) In Florida I have had some luck fishing off the beach with artificial lures and free lining shrimp. What I would like is to find some example of how to fish off the beach with static bait. I would like to find some diagrams or pictures of rigs along with suggestions of hook size and an Idea of the size sinker needed to hold bottom.
Ta
Nic

Robert5988
06-01-2009, 21:17
I fish off the beach all the time on the Atlantic side.

If you go to any of the fishing bait shops they will give you advice - Wal-Mart are about the cheapest for tackle. Or just chat to a fisherman on the beach.

The best/simplest for general purpose fishing is a Pompano rig. This consists of a leader with 2 or 3 hooks to which you clip a sinker. I have caught everything from a few ounces to a 30lb shark.

The weight of sinker depends on the size of the surf and/or current. Sometimes a 2 ounce will suffice other times a 10 oz won't. A 4oz pryamid sinker is the best compromise.

There are variations on the Pompano rig theme - lighter or heavier - depending on what you are aiming to catch.

You really need a good surf rod and rod holder - again they are not expensive from Wal-mart. I have 2 x 16ft and a 12 ft. 12lb - 20lb mono line is best IMO.

Bait can be shrimp, clam, finger mullet or cut-bait.

The sea on the Gulf side is calmer - but the fishing not as good.

nicseg
07-01-2009, 14:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
I fish off the beach all the time on the Atlantic side.

If you go to any of the fishing bait shops they will give you advice - Wal-Mart are about the cheapest for tackle. Or just chat to a fisherman on the beach.

The best/simplest for general purpose fishing is a Pompano rig. This consists of a leader with 2 or 3 hooks to which you clip a sinker. I have caught everything from a few ounces to a 30lb shark.

The weight of sinker depends on the size of the surf and/or current. Sometimes a 2 ounce will suffice other times a 10 oz won't. A 4oz pryamid sinker is the best compromise.

There are variations on the Pompano rig theme - lighter or heavier - depending on what you are aiming to catch.

You really need a good surf rod and rod holder - again they are not expensive from Wal-mart. I have 2 x 16ft and a 12 ft. 12lb - 20lb mono line is best IMO.

Bait can be shrimp, clam, finger mullet or cut-bait.

The sea on the Gulf side is calmer - but the fishing not as good.
[/quote]This is brilliant info and just what I was looking for. I have just googled Pompano rig looking for a diagram and found you can buy rigs ready tied for just $1.49!!!! even better, I used to love tying my own rigs but the old eyesight aint what it used to be. So far I have only fished the Gulf as my wife prefers the calmer waters. We are over again in Feb and I will report back on how I got on. Thanks very much.

Could you also recommend a good place on the atlantic coast? Nic