PDA

View Full Version : Want to move to Florida

jasondh
30-11-2003, 21:02
Hi,

Hopefully you may have some answers for me.

I would like to move my family to the usa, florida would be nbice, to give them a better quality of life.

I am a Telecoms project manager which I understand are not in short supply in the usa, but my wife is an experience and senior Intensive Care Nurse. Does her job offer us any light at the end of the tunnel? I understand that nurses are indeed in demand!

My child is only 18 months old but we have another due in February 2004.

Any help or further questions would be gratefully received.

Jason

chrizzy100
30-11-2003, 23:35
quote:Originally posted by jasondh

Hi,

Hopefully you may have some answers for me.

I would like to move my family to the usa, florida would be nbice, to give them a better quality of life.

I am a Telecoms project manager which I understand are not in short supply in the usa, but my wife is an experience and senior Intensive Care Nurse. Does her job offer us any light at the end of the tunnel? I understand that nurses are indeed in demand!

My child is only 18 months old but we have another due in February 2004.

Any help or further questions would be gratefully received.

Jason

My friend is a childs nurse in the UK...but after marrying and coming here she found out that she had to sit exams again for a general nursing degree...she was told only 20% of none Americans pass..I could ask her if your wife could have her e-mail address...I'm sure Sue would help in any way she can.....:)
If you are a general nurse in the UK I think its different...but you would have to ask Sue...

Now Telcoms....in a very bad way over here......my husband works for Exel-switching on Cap Cod Mass.....you could look them up and see if its anything like you do.....they will have to take on more people at some time after Lucent laid off half their staff after buying the company up.......Exel is now a company in its own right again after buying their way out of Lucents cold mean hands this May.....the thing with the Cape is the cost of living....houses are twice the cost of FL....but its beauiful here and very safe..... there is nowhere better in the USA for bringing up young kids..thats my 2 cents anyway..good schools..a lot better than most FL schools......I can't say enough about how great the Cape is.....I have no idea if in the future the company would bring people over from the UK again.....or even if you do anything like what they do anyway.....but its worth a look......Sues husband also worked there until he was laid off....they now live in AZ.....so maybe he could also e-mail to you....he got my husband this job 4 years ago.......
We looked at FL after my husband was laid off.....the work is there if you're an American....a lot of the work is Gov Space and Defence....so you have to be American to work for the companies....but there are telcoms jobs there....the next question is....will they give you the time of day if you don't have a greencard and live in the area........thats is the million $$$$ question.....my husband was lucky to get his job back straight after the buy back......so we can now take our time to look for work in FL....its hard to get a job in Telcoms moving from State to State....its going to be harder coming over from the UK now...until things pick up again........good luck anyway.....if you like you can e-mail me.....we will help if we can.......

esprit
01-12-2003, 04:05
A nurse can come into the US and go straight to green card with no need to pass tghrough the visa process first. There is such a shirtage ( Florida is 15% short) that there is a no need for labor certification. She needs to do the conversion course and take the US nursing exam. I understand it takes about a year. Then she can get someone like the Florida hospital to sposnsor her for a green card. When she has got it, she can sponsor you and the kids, Search on nurse visa US and there are details of the conversion all over the web,

esprit
01-12-2003, 04:07
quote:Originally posted by esprit

A nurse can come into the US and go straight to green card with no need to pass tghrough the visa process first. There is such a shortage ( Florida is 15% short of nurses) that there is a no need for labor certification. She needs to do the conversion course and take the US nursing exam. I understand it takes about a year. Then she can get someone like the Florida hospital to sposnsor her for a green card. When she has got it, she can sponsor you and the kids, Search on nurse visa US and there are details of the conversion all over the web,