PDA

View Full Version : Help! Have I made a mistake?

parthiban
19-12-2008, 22:29
I'm travelling to Orlando over xmas and had assumed that I didn't need to do the online ESTA registration as I'm returning from the US on 8th Jan 09.

However, someone told me today that I do need to do it, and I'm worried that I've made a mistake. I'm annoyed with myself as it would have been such an easy thing to do to stay on the safe side, but I'm hoping it will be fine?

Any help would be much appreciated [msnsmile]

Jill
19-12-2008, 22:34
Don't panic. You are correct you do not need an online ESTA as you will be returning to the UK before the scheme starts on 12 January. I think some people have got confused and assumed the start date to be the 1st January.

If you want to apply for one before you travel it is very easy and we got approval immediately. The link is https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c209C580F-27AE-EA86-0927-8AF61C7E67EA_k7E1AF705-CD06-104E-9756-44D2F3775EE4

parthiban
20-12-2008, 00:02
Thanks Jill, I thought I had seen the 12th as the date it starts but looking on the US Embassy site I couldn't find any date anywhere.....having said that I have now found it so feeling a bit better [msnsmile]

I was worried about doing it so late as I'm flying out on Monday and it says to do it 72 hours before - should I go ahead and fill it in or is it better to just leave it now?

blott
20-12-2008, 02:06
You don't need to do anything about ESTA unless you're travelling to the US on or after 12 January 2009.

If you're arriving on Monday, you'll be perfectly fine - we arrived on 12 December and just filled in the normal visa waiver form.

Sally D
20-12-2008, 03:14
Sorry to be dumb,but we are going in July 2009 so do I need to register all 5 of us for this[?]

brownm
20-12-2008, 03:52
Yes Sally you will need to register all of you after Jan 12th 2009

Jill
20-12-2008, 13:43
Once you have registered, which is free at the moment, it is valid for a period of 2 years.

Sally D
20-12-2008, 13:59
Thank you.

Glad I read this, didn't know things had changed.

I will get on and register today.

parthiban
21-12-2008, 01:01
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm happy now, can't wait for the sunshine! [msnsmile2]

Ian Dee
21-12-2008, 03:33
I too made a mistake when I registered with ESTA before our recent trip over, came back on last Tuesday. I registered with the wrong expiry date of my Passport; 2010 when its 2016.

I left it until I came back and have just tried to register 'afresh'. Back comes the answer. "..passport number already registered" so I cannot register the correct expiry date.

However it seems that from the aboce ESTA is only valued for 2 years so presumably I can re-register after 2010.[msnembarrased]

blott
21-12-2008, 03:48
When you originally register, you should have been given a reference number to keep hold of in case you need to make any amendments. If you use that, you can get back into the system and make amendments.

If you're not going to the US until 2010 anyway, then just leave it but you need to sort it out if you'll be visiting on visa waiver between 12 January 2009 and 2010.

Ian Dee
21-12-2008, 12:56
Blott hi
Yes printed and kept the form and number.
I tried that but there are only certain listed amendments you are permitted to make and changes to passport expiry dates is not one of them, I'm afraid.

We shall be visiting a couple of times a year until 2010. THe ESTA would be valid presumably for those periods - it remains to be seen if Immigration will pick up the wrong expiry date?

I assume that when the ESTA expires I will have the opportunity to register again and then 'correct' my mistake then?

Sally D
29-12-2008, 00:18
I got around to registering all of us today and only my 2 youngest daughters were approved, myself, husband and eldest daugther it said it was pending[msnscared]

Do they send an email letting me know they have been approved.

They didn't for the 2 that were approved.

Ian Dee
29-12-2008, 02:14
Sally
I think you have to check regularly , using the reference number

FraserLynn
29-12-2008, 02:34
Just done ours this evening, all approved. Does this mean that we will not have to fill out the green waiver form on the airplane? or will this need to be completed as well?

Robert5988
29-12-2008, 13:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Just done ours this evening, all approved. Does this mean that we will not have to fill out the green waiver form on the airplane? or will this need to be completed as well?[/quote]

The instructions say that after Jan 12 2009 you will not need to fill out the I94-W(green Waiver form).

However the Immigration Officer at Chicago I spoke to last month said that they will still reguire the form "for a few more months" next year. He said the registration does not show yet on his computer(I was registered)

I hope that they will know the position at your departure airfield and issue the form if required - it would be a nightmare if the immigration queue had to fill out forms.

I am assuming there will be no change for the blue customs form??

FraserLynn
29-12-2008, 14:31
Thanks Robert

christhear
29-12-2008, 21:15
Done mine and my son's today, got instant approval.

Sally D
30-12-2008, 01:15
All approved now[msnsmile2] although mine kept saying 'expired' until I found out I was putting an S and not 5 on my refernce number[stupid2]

a_broxibear
30-12-2008, 13:23
right now the ESTA form is only for citizens of Andorra, Luxembourg, Australia, Monaco, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, New Zealand, Brunei, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Finland, San Marino, France,Singapore, Germany, Slovenia, Iceland, Spain, Ireland, Sweden, Italy, Switzerland, Japan, United Kingdom, Liechtenstein

so, do ytou not have to do it if your not from any these countries?
im asking because my girlfriend has a Canadian passport (although it has a british residency stamp). as far as im aware she doesnt have to do anything, but i dotn want to go to the airport and be turned away [msnscared]

Sniff
09-01-2009, 16:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by a_broxibear
right now the ESTA form is only for citizens of Andorra, Luxembourg, Australia, Monaco, Austria, Netherlands, Belgium, New Zealand, Brunei, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Finland, San Marino, France,Singapore, Germany, Slovenia, Iceland, Spain, Ireland, Sweden, Italy, Switzerland, Japan, United Kingdom, Liechtenstein

so, do ytou not have to do it if your not from any these countries?
im asking because my girlfriend has a Canadian passport (although it has a british residency stamp). as far as im aware she doesnt have to do anything, but i dotn want to go to the airport and be turned away [msnscared]
[/quote]
ESTA replaces the visa waiver scheme, so is only relevant for those people who were eligible to travel under VW previously. Canadian citizens don't need a visa to visit USA, therefore ESTA is not relevant for them.