PDA

View Full Version : Wekiva Springs

esprit
29-11-2003, 09:42
Take junction 92 or 94 off I-4 and follow the signs. There is a $4 entrance fee This has been an attraction since the turn of the century. The spring is really beautiful with part of it for swimmers ( there were people in it when we were there even in late November, a bit chilly for me!) It is shallow and safe looking. The other part is for canoeing with Indian type canoes for rent for $12 for two hours plus $3 per hour thereafter. Life jackets are provided. There are also picnic areas, a small shop selling drinks etc, and clean restrooms. There is loads of conservation in the surrounding state park to explore including several hammocks. Also a 1.9 mile walk down to Sand Lake. Loads of wildlife in here including the infamous black bears that were terrorising inhabitants of neighboring Longwood a few weeks ago looking for food before hibernation. Plenty of 'beware of the bears' signs but no sign of any bears. Guess they must all be asleep already.

Cowboy
29-11-2003, 19:41
Hi Julie,
Kath and I went in Sept. 2002 and had a great time. Such a nice change from the parks etc. At the time the river was quite low and we got stuck on a submerged log. I was at the front of the canoe and I got over the log but it was the back end of the canoe that got stuck (Kath doesn,t know I am writing this). [msnembarrased].
It took about ten minutes shunting back and forth to get free. Couldn't do much because we were laughing too much.Unfortunately we didn't see much wildlife but had a really pleasant day except for the mosquitos when we went on one of the trails. We can thoroughly recommend it but take some mosquito spray.
Mike.