PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Maine

FloridaBound
29-11-2003, 04:09
Hi Everyone, This is all very new to me so..... I hope you will be patient. :)We have been vacationing in Florida for 15 years and we love it. I would like to move to Florida, my husband isn't quite so sure. Have any of you moved from another state to Florida? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Where are good (safe) areas to live. I like the Disney area, but is vacationing different than living there? What is the job market like? My husband drives for a bus company. I am an office manager. We are also considering buying a home to rent out until we decide to move there. (Whether in the next couple of years or when we retire!) I appreciate any information, insight, suggestions and opinions you may have.

hamptonlakes
29-11-2003, 04:20
Welcome to the forum, i would say the espirt maybe able to help you as she has moved to florida from the UK

Happy posting and good luck for the future[msnsmile2]

chrizzy100
29-11-2003, 04:36
quote:Originally posted by FloridaBound

Hi Everyone, This is all very new to me so..... I hope you will be patient. :)We have been vacationing in Florida for 15 years and we love it. I would like to move to Florida, my husband isn't quite so sure. Have any of you moved from another state to Florida? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Where are good (safe) areas to live. I like the Disney area, but is vacationing different than living there? What is the job market like? My husband drives for a bus company. I am an office manager. We are also considering buying a home to rent out until we decide to move there. (Whether in the next couple of years or when we retire!) I appreciate any information, insight, suggestions and opinions you may have.

Hi neigbour...I'm on Cape Cod...we moved here from the UK.....we now almost have a place in Orlando...3 weeks or so to go....I think living anywhere is a lot different then vacationing....we always wanted to move to Orlando...but I think I'm happier that I lived here first.....the Cape is very much like England.....I still feel like I'm travel to the USA when I cross the bridges.....

We were going to move to Orlando without work....a lot of people seem to do that....we'll now stay here until our son finishes high school in a few years.....
My husband is also not to sure about moving full time....it must be a man thing.......where abouts in Maine are you...we keep meaning to pop up there....but getting off Cape in the summer is a nightmare....:(

FloridaBound
29-11-2003, 05:47
I live just west of Portland in southern Maine. Maine is beautiful except in the Winter. I HATE the cold. :(

quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100

Hi neigbour...I'm on Cape Cod...we moved here from the UK.....we now almost have a place in Orlando...3 weeks or so to go....I think living anywhere is a lot different then vacationing....we always wanted to move to Orlando...but I think I'm happier that I lived here first.....the Cape is very much like England.....I still feel like I'm travel to the USA when I cross the bridges.....

We were going to move to Orlando without work....a lot of people seem to do that....we'll now stay here until our son finishes high school in a few years.....
My husband is also not to sure about moving full time....it must be a man thing.......where abouts in Maine are you...we keep meaning to pop up there....but getting off Cape in the summer is a nightmare....:(

chrizzy100
29-11-2003, 06:01

I live just west of Portland in southern Maine. Maine is beautiful except in the Winter. I HATE the cold. :(

quote:[i]

Being out to sea like an Island we don't get very cold weather...so it was a shock to get all that late snow last year.......
Maine does look beautiful......we are thinking about driving up to the Falls this spring....if we have any money left that is.....my parents did that the other year.....they loved it.....

bellaepovera
29-11-2003, 12:40
Hi FloridaBound and welcome to the forum. My parents moved out there from Chicago (to get out of the cold) about 12 Years ago. There are jobs out there but keep in mind the pay is alot less then it was in Chicago. Things in Florida are cheaper, especially the homes, half the price and with a pool! There are many jobs at these big hotel, and I am sure your husband beeing a driver should have no problems finding something in that origin. There are many nice communities that are gated and to tell the truth I feel very safe in our community. I am sure if you work at it real hard your dreams may come true.

J & O
13-12-2003, 14:06
[msncool]
Hi Florida Bound
I grew up in New Jersey, moved to UK - 5 years, then to Orlando - 10 years, then back to UK 12 years. Living in Orlando is very different than living in NE states and totally different from UK. Thing we missed most living in USA was family back in UK (although we did get a lot of visitors living in Orlando). Thing we liked best: the sunshine and food, relaxed atmosphere. Moved back to UK for last 12 years but plan to go move back permanently in about 2 years. I'm a US citizen and hubby is English. Kids loved the school system in Fla. Hardest thing: Getting a good job - took about a year. Can't wait.

Amirah
14-12-2003, 21:58
Welcome from New Jersey!