PDA

View Full Version : Passport renewal and Visa

Tonish
12-12-2008, 13:51
My wife's passport comes up for renewal next year. She has a visa at the moment, but we have decided she shouldn't have applied for one in the first place and can truthfully answer no to all the waiver questions.

Query is, once a visa always a visa? We don't want to apply for a one on the new passport, but we're a bit concerned that having travelled on many occasions with the visa, she's now "in the system" somewhere and suddenly appearing without one may cause a problem.

Has anyone any experience of this?

DLB-GOUROCK
14-12-2008, 05:33
Hi Tonish,

I had a visa on my passport for my first visit to the US in 1980.
This was never transferred on subsequent passports and I have been over several times since then with no difficulties.

Karen
14-12-2008, 14:08
Tonish, you can always take the previous passport with you if you feel uncertain about it. But my advise would be to contact the America Embassy, by email if possible as the 0870 number is expensive (you could try the website saynoto0870.co.uk to see if they have an alternative number)

wilfy
14-12-2008, 15:08
The visa is for the person not just the passport.

A word of warning , DO NOT try using the visa waiver program while you still have a valid visa, even if it is in an old passport.

Last year i had to travel for my company to the US , the first time in a few years. I was told by my company that i must use the visa waiver program even though i had a proper 10 year valid US visa. I won't go into the reasons why they said this, but anyway on arrival at immigration in the US i was asked why i wasn't using my visa and explained my companies directive. He told me in no uncertain terms that if you have a b1 or b2 visa then you must use it and my company were most definitely incorrect. As i also thought my company was talking balderdash i had taken the precaution of travelling with the passport with my visa. So i just had to fill out the correct form and then pass through.

Since this occurred my visa has expired, i now happily travel under the visa waiver program with no problems.

Robert5988
15-12-2008, 02:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Tonish, you can always take the previous passport with you if you feel uncertain about it. But my advise would be to contact the America Embassy, by email if possible as the 0870 number is expensive (you could try the website saynoto0870.co.uk to see if they have an alternative number)[/quote]It is not an 0870 number but a premium number (09042-450100) costing £1.20 a min.

It used to be mandatory for everyone to have a visa for the USA, so I suspect that there will be no problem using a waiver once a visa has expired

Hutchy
15-12-2008, 15:38
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
My wife's passport comes up for renewal next year. She has a visa at the moment, but we have decided she shouldn't have applied for one in the first place and can truthfully answer no to all the waiver questions.

Query is, once a visa always a visa? We don't want to apply for a one on the new passport, but we're a bit concerned that having travelled on many occasions with the visa, she's now "in the system" somewhere and suddenly appearing without one may cause a problem.

Has anyone any experience of this?
[/quote]

I had the same issue - then just started to fill in the Visa Waiver forms as I kept forgetting to bring my old passport with the Visa stamp in it. This was when they used to issue indefinite expiry periods, so they would outlive your 10 year passport. I've since found out that all these non-expiry visa have all been cancelled anyway since the changes following 9-11.

Either way, she doesn't need to move it to the new passport - just take the old one with you whilst the Visa itself is still valid.

Michelle
16-12-2008, 01:30
We always take our our old passport with us which has our visa in it as well as the new updated passport.

mistert
17-12-2008, 20:59
There will be no Visa Waiver scheme after 12th Jan 2009 (I think that's the date). You will need to register via ESTA online.

Michelle
17-12-2008, 21:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mistert
There will be no Visa Waiver scheme after 12th Jan 2009 (I think that's the date). You will need to register via ESTA online.

[/quote]
Yes, but for visa holders will not need to register ESTA on line .

Robert5988
18-12-2008, 11:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:There will be no Visa Waiver scheme after 12th Jan 2009 (I think that's the date). You will need to register via ESTA online.[/quote]No the Visa Waiver scheme(Program) still remains; ESTA is a modification to the scheme.

After 12 Jan 2009 most visitors will not need to fill out an I94-W(depending on their carrier).

However an Immigration Officer told me last month that everyone will still be required to fill one out - which conflicts with this statement. <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:ESTA™ AND THE I-94W
Q: If a VWP traveler has received ESTA™ approval, does he or she also need to fill out an I-94W?
A: The implementation of the ESTA™ program will allow DHS to eventually eliminate the requirement that VWP travelers complete a paper Form I-94W prior to being admitted to the United States.

After Jan. 12, 2009, a VWP traveler with a valid ESTA™ will not be required to complete the paper Form I-94W when arriving on a carrier that is capable of receiving and validating messages pertaining to the traveler’s ESTA™ status as part of the traveler’s boarding status. Travelers on carriers without this capability will still be required to complete the paper Form I-94W.[/quote]