PDA

View Full Version : Which Orlando car hire is the best value??

elio2269
23-11-2008, 00:46
Hello Everyone,
I am off to Orlando Florida on December 22 2008 till January 9th 2009 and I am looking to hire a car for the duration of 18 days.
Today Thomas Cook got me a complete quote from Alamo for a (intermediate) Pontiac G6 4 door Automatic/ Air cond, everything included for £416.
This includes Collision Damage Waiver Full, Liability Protection Program Tour, Customer Facility Charge 2.50 per day, Concession Fee Recov Chrg 9.8%, Florida Surcharge 2.00 per day, Tire/battery Fee .02 per day, Licence Recoupment Fee 046 per day and Sales Tax.

I was just wondering is this good or can I get a better deal else where? I need that size car as we are a family of 5 and the other cars were not recommended for our family size. Plus i optided to pay the extra £18 for a 4 door rather than a 2 door. I havent booked anything just yet and wondered what advice anyone had??
Many thanks in advance to you all.[?]

elio2269
23-11-2008, 00:49
O yes i forgot to mention, this also includes 1 tank of fuel.

Robert5988
23-11-2008, 01:00
http://www.floridahire.com/

thornton
23-11-2008, 01:19
Sounds expensive to me. As Robert suggests have a look at the site he recommends.

christhear
23-11-2008, 01:31
I've just tried the site associated with these forums as Robert suggested and its £363 on the Gold option which includes a tank of fuel and extra drivers. So this is much better value unless you happe to be under 25.

elio2269
23-11-2008, 01:41
Hello Robert5988 and thornton thank for your replies. I have clicked on the floridahire web site which i found to be a great site, and typed in the dates and times for a quote and i found the cheapest car hire company to be Alamo for a Gold Inclusive
Company: Alamo
Region: Florida
Car type: Full Size 4 Door
Hire type: Gold Inclusive
Pick up: Florida - Orlando - International Airport on 22 December 2008 at 16:00
Drop off: Florida - Orlando - International Airport on 09 January 2009 at 16:00
Number of days: 18
Total price: £411.00

or a Silver Inclusive
Company: Alamo
Region: Florida
Car type: Full Size 4 Door
Hire type: Silver Inclusive
Pick up: Florida - Orlando - International Airport on 22 December 2008 at 16:00
Drop off: Florida - Orlando - International Airport on 09 January 2009 at 16:00
Number of days: 18
Total price: £359.00

The above quote car you are given is either a 2 Door = Chevrolet Monte Carlo or Similar or a 4 Door = Pontiac Grand Prix or similar, Thomas Cooks quote stated it was a Pontiac G6 4 door.

The only difference between Silver inclusive and Gold inclusive is that the Gold inclusive also includes Up to 4 drivers,
Initial tank of gas included in price. The tank will be full on collection and you return empty.

I will be the only person driving anyway.

So it seems that the website offer is cheaper and as far as i know a Pontiac Grand Prix is a nicer car.

The difference between silver and gold is silver is £52 cheaper but I'm not sure what a full tank of fuel would cost me, probably not £52 in Florida.

So can someone please advise me on deal to go for considering all this information??

Hello Christhear,
Thank you for your reply yes you are correct on an intermediate
the price is £363 with a full tank of fuel.
Intermediate 2 / 4 Door - UK Equivalent: Vauxhall Vectra

Alamo: Pontiac G6 or similar
So it seams that Thomas Cook want to make money from me for the privilge of booking a car for me.
I think I will book the above deal online and save myself £53.

you have all been a great help and I wish I could buy you all a drink. Many thanks to you.

Mind you the above deal on a silver inclusive is only £307 and thats £56 cheaper than gold. But i'm not sure if a full tank of fuel would cost me £56 in Florida. What do you think???? By the way I am over 25 years of age.

Many thanks to you all.

normajohnp
23-11-2008, 14:04
Just thought I would let you know about the "problems" I am having with my car hire. We have family deciding to join us for a few days so need to make changes to our bookings. Silly little two days here and there. Do you honestly think a big company like Thomas Cook would be interested in my "problem" no way! The customer service you will receive from this site alone will make you thank your lucky stars as Roger or John are always there to answer any queries with your booking immediately.

elio2269
23-11-2008, 15:28
That is exactly why normajohnp i am booking my car from Roger this week.[msnsmile2]

thornton
23-11-2008, 17:56
Although a full tank of fuel bought at the pumps would be less than $52, purchased through the car hire company it will probably be more than that. For a two week holiday the gold option is the best.

Robert5988
23-11-2008, 19:42
The saving is £56 not $52

roger
23-11-2008, 20:21
I just want to add again that Dollar and Thrifty are upping their rates and the change will go live in the next couple of hours, so anyone wishing to book with these, please do so asap.

trupial
24-11-2008, 01:57
Was in Orlando in October, hired a car through this site with Alamo.
Family of 5 also so I booked the "Full Size" 4 door Gold option which includes the full tank of fuel.
The car we picked at Sanford was a Pontiac Grand Prix which I would recommend for only £259.

jue
18-12-2008, 22:19
hi
when u rent your car and go to pick it up, make sure you know what you are signing for, we got fleeced for extra money, 2 minivans hired and gold insurance,, six people at the desk no way was these 'extras' mentioned atall. better still ask them what is it you are signing,,, and have a nice holiday

jue

roger
18-12-2008, 22:31
Yes, we always advise you read the wording on the contract. Any extras are very clearly marked (not in small print), and you have to sign to agree the optional extras. Anything like child car seats, GPS and personal insurance are optional extras and not required, so if in doubt, just ask the rep to clarify.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by jue
hi
when u rent your car and go to pick it up, make sure you know what you are signing for, we got fleeced for extra money, 2 minivans hired and gold insurance,, six people at the desk no way was these 'extras' mentioned atall. better still ask them what is it you are signing,,, and have a nice holiday

jue

[/quote]