PDA

View Full Version : Carousel Of Progress

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-03-2002, 02:57
Whatever happened to this ride as I used to like it.

When we were there last December it appeared to be derilict and the peoplemover did not go into the building (it used to).

Anyone know?

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

Ruth
28-03-2002, 15:19
We were there over Christmas and it was certainly OK then as my husband & the children went on it!

Ruth

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
28-03-2002, 19:55
Wow...we must have mistaken things as it definitely looked closed to us. Maybe it was just closed for the day?

I did find the following site on the web http://carouselofprogress.tripod.com/save.html which appears to imply it may be shutting down in favour of a new "Flying Saucers" attraction. That would be a real shame!

John & Sarah Rooke
Orlando Villas

esprit
29-03-2002, 13:57
Though "afficionados" of Disney like us do look on the older rides like Carousel with a certain amount of affection and nostalgia, if the constraints of the boundaries of the Magic Kingdom are such that you cannot make a new ride without shutting down an old one, I don't believe we should stand in the way of progress.

My kids, who are now young adults, think the Magic Kingdom is "stuck in a sixties rut and boring". Sacriligious, I know, but even my US next door neighbour stated that it is predominantly a place for the under 10s and over 60s and he actually works there!!!!! Some new rides are needed to make it more attractive to a generation who grew up with the likes of Back to the Future and Terminator, as these will be the ones taking their own kids out there in five years or so.

There is competition out there, not only from Universal and Disneyland Paris but also from the new Warner Brothers Studio Park at present being built near Madrid and the last thing we want is for Disney to becomes a sort of "museum piece" falling behind the newer parks in interest. I believe there is one new ride at Magic Kingdom, based on an Aladdin and Flying Carpet theme. Have not yet been on it. Has anyone?? How does it compare?

Julie Carty

steph_goodrum
29-03-2002, 17:12
Julie
Substitute elephants (dumbo ride) with magic carpets , and add Aladdin, that's all it is, about the same height and speed, so nothing to get too excited about,

Babblin Boo

Ruth
30-03-2002, 02:49
Have to agree about the Aladdin ride, I was disappointed they could not think of something a bit more original.

Ruth

blott
18-04-2003, 18:54
NOW OPEN! Carousel of Progress in the Magic Kingdom! It will be open from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m., until April 24, 2003.

Lesley S
18-04-2003, 20:59
It was definitely open on Boxing Day, we went. I didn't even know it existed......

mikewj
25-04-2003, 21:34
quote:Originally posted by blott

NOW OPEN! Carousel of Progress in the Magic Kingdom! It will be open from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m., until April 24, 2003.

Does this suggest that it closed for good yesterday (24th April) or that the opening times were 9am - 9pm until then ?

esprit
26-04-2003, 03:04
The website days "open seasonally". Goodness knows what that is supposed to mean. Same applies to the Timekeeper,

bellaepovera
26-04-2003, 13:03
Carousel of Progress is one of my favorite rides there. That would be a shame if they shut it down. I think it should be moved to Epcot as it seems more fitting over there..

Dreamblooper
17-09-2003, 22:34
I tend to agree about the Kingdoms need to move on a bit now. The Pirates of the Caribean, Country Bears Jamboree, and Carousel of progress are classics of course, but the sheer mechanics of them needs freshening, as do several others. We thought the Pirates and Country Bears looked just about worn out; I remember great splashes and big flashes in the Pirates lagoon when it first opened - now it's just little plops in the water and glowing light.

I think they should refresh a small selection of these rides and brand them as Disney Classic Rides. The rest - well I think several more new rides are quite urgently needed now, or there is a real danger of them losing out badly to other parks. It's the innovation that's lacking - too many recycled ideas. Disney were the original innovators, so it's a bit of a shame.