PDA

View Full Version : This is odd.........

ctgirlscout
24-11-2003, 17:32
I have just watched an interview on the morning news with an American woman who suffered a stroke, and when she came out of it, she spoke with a compulsive British accent. An Oxford study has documented this is a disorder that is a disruption of the language center in the brain. Odd thing is, not only does she have the accent, but she also has the vocabulary and the phrases that seem to be peculiar to British english. She was even interviewed along with a Neuro-Linguistic Expert from the University of Central Florida who concurred that this is a disruption of the speech area of the brain. I would have thought she was faking it, but it seems to be a documented condition! [:0]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-11-2003, 18:47
Hmmm...I'd be interested to hear her as the common American conception of what British people speak like it often quite different from reality. We find quite a few American's expect us to speak like those "tally-ho chaps" wartime fighter pilots [msnwink]

chrisj
24-11-2003, 18:57
We still speak like that down here in London John :D

Actually I have seen a documentary about this sort of thing before, where people wake from
a coma and have changed accents, very odd

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-11-2003, 19:13
Freya (who is 3) says certain words with a very pronounced west country accent even though she has never been there or to my knowledge had any prolonged exposure to anyone with that kind of accent. Her cousin who is the same age does the same too....very odd.

Chris: I thought they all talked of jellied eels and such like in London [msnwink][msntongue]

chrisj
24-11-2003, 19:38
yuk, have you ever tried them, my nan used to make me eat them and ive hated them ever since.

Language is a very strange thing, Im sure ive also got a book about this subject at home somewhere. Will have to have a look for it

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
24-11-2003, 20:05
We're all veggies thankfully so have not had that pleasure :).

quote:Originally posted by chrisj

yuk, have you ever tried them, my nan used to make me eat them and ive hated them ever since.

wilfy
24-11-2003, 20:31
wair oi cum vrom, we alllll torlk loik dis, naht loik u propaar gentree :D

fiona
24-11-2003, 22:48
John has Freya been watching something on the TV or video with a west country accent? Catriona spoke certain words in an american accent due to Muppet Babies and something called Kissyfur (floridian gators etc!) and of course Sesame Street.

Sadly it will be all too soon when all they speak is estuary:(. I do wonder about the how much we pay in school fees to hear them dropping their t's etc. all the time.

chrizzy100
24-11-2003, 23:03
quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

Freya (who is 3) says certain words with a very pronounced west country accent even though she has never been there or to my knowledge had any prolonged exposure to anyone with that kind of accent. Her cousin who is the same age does the same too....very odd.

Chris: I thought they all talked of jellied eels and such like in London [msnwink][msntongue]

I'm West Country.... Bristol....England I'll add....hehehe
Anyone else here from there....?

chrizzy100
24-11-2003, 23:05
quote:Originally posted by fiona

John has Freya been watching something on the TV or video with a west country accent? Catriona spoke certain words in an american accent due to Muppet Babies and something called Kissyfur (floridian gators etc!) and of course Sesame Street.

Sadly it will be all too soon when all they speak is estuary:(. I do wonder about the how much we pay in school fees to hear them dropping their t's etc. all the time.

Kissyfur.....we used to call our son kissyfur when he was a baby....his names Christopher.....gezzz.....hes 15 now......time flies......

mm69340
24-11-2003, 23:45

John has Freya been watching something on the TV or video with a west country accent?

We only get the Teletubbies from Britain over here in this house... You mean you all don't say Ah-oh!!![8D]

chrizzy100
25-11-2003, 01:00
quote:Originally posted by mm69340

John has Freya been watching something on the TV or video with a west country accent?

We only get the Teletubbies from Britain over here in this house... You mean you all don't say Ah-oh!!![8D]

Thomas the tank engine gets me.....no Fat Controller.....he's Mr Topumhat......and you can't watch it without Ringos voice...its not right.....[msnsad]

ctgirlscout
11-12-2003, 04:47
Now there's a woman who also had a stroke and now speaks with a French accent! Doesn't know how to speak French, but went to Paris once.

flyrr100
06-06-2004, 22:32
You all need to hear Robin Williams do his cockney accent. It's priceless. Sounds like he's from Camden Town!

ORLANDO_MAGIC
23-01-2005, 17:23
I have a habit of saying "TA" pronounced tar when i am thanking someone and it drives my American friend mad.

We might be eating out and when the waiter/waitress serves me i will often say "TA" despite the fact he/she does not have a clue what i'm saying.

In fact on my last trip we were eating at Hops and i said "TA" to a waitress and my friend asked her if she knew what i had said and she replied no,i have no idea..point taken,but wont stop me saying it in the future,and besides its not my fault the Americans cant talk proper English is it[msntongue]

John

E. Cosgrove
23-01-2005, 17:41
My standard reply is often"cheers" which I don't think is understood any better than "ta".
Funnily enough "ta" is often used when parents are inducing their infants to say thankyou before they can speak properly, ta ta ta is one of the first vocalizations a baby makes ( other tha Da Da dA[msnsad]) I wonder what American parents try to get their infanfs to say for "thankyou"
Theresa, do you have the answer[msnsmile2]

ctgirlscout
23-01-2005, 18:23
I think most parents just try to teach the kids "thank you". I think the young kids usually come out with something similar to "tanks" because they can't make the "th" sound. You are right that no one here would have a clue what "ta" is. I didn't know until I just read this. What is the exact meaning of "cheers"? I always thought it was just a form of saying goodbye.

blott
23-01-2005, 19:23
I thought you might have known about 'cheers' from the American TV series Teresa? It's really a salutation when you clink glasses and drink alcohol but it seems to have spread to mean 'thanks' as well in some places.

ctgirlscout
23-01-2005, 21:30
"Cheers" was one of my favorite shows, and I know the term is used in that context, but I wouldn't have taken it to mean "thanks", just some sort of general salutation or greeting. You learn something new every day.

agod
24-01-2005, 18:32
The Germans say "Cheers" for goodbye, but it comes out like "chEEErse"

Kiddie001
24-01-2005, 20:47
We cant have this thread without mentioning Dick Van Dykes "cockney"
accent in Mary Poppins.

Gor blimey mate apples and pears knees up muvver braan

cheers (West ham fan, but NOT a cockney)

Ian

Kiddie001
24-01-2005, 21:01
Whilst on the subject heres a Brummie joke:-

A brummie goes for a job interview wearing a polyester shirt,
bright flares and big platform boots.

The interviewer says: "All you need now is a kipper tie"

The brummie replies: "That would be lovely, two sugars please.

Made me laugh anyway.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

A note to any of my american cousins who may read this - please dont ask me to try and explain it!

cheers

Ian

ORLANDO_MAGIC
25-01-2005, 00:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kiddie001
Whilst on the subject heres a Brummie joke:-

A brummie goes for a job interview wearing a polyester shirt,
bright flares and big platform boots.

The interviewer says: "All you need now is a kipper tie"

The brummie replies: "That would be lovely, two sugars please.

Made me laugh anyway.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

A note to any of my american cousins who may read this - please dont ask me to try and explain it!

cheers

Ian

[/quote]

As a brummie born and bred in Small Heath i have heard that joke a few times,and yes i still have a laff every time i hear it.

I dont normally like claret and blue but in your case i will make an exceptionhttp://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/ORLANDO_MAGIC/2005124203446_smiley-scarf.gif

John.

John Rocke
29-01-2005, 17:40
I was born and brought up in Sarf East London. Every year my parents took us over to Galway in Ireland to spend two weeks with our family. Every year we would come back with Irish accents that took weeks to fade away.

Last time we were over in Orlando we were in Dennys or one of those type of restaurants were you order at the counter and they bring down your food to you. I choose my meat and asked for baked potatoes. The waitress asked me to say it again so I did and she just smiled. I said it once more, a bit slower this time and she said " I know what you want. I just like the way you say it." I asked for a discount and she said she had already given it to me.

On the Irish theme, my wife worked as a nurse in various hospitals around the area and sometimes came into contact with members of the travelling community who invariably had strong irish accents, children et al. But when talking to them about their lives it turns out that the children, some as old as mid teens had never been to Ireland in their lives, but living in such closed communities they had mimicked the accents of the elders.

j rocke.

kezza5222
17-01-2006, 23:41
hi chrizzy100
im from plymouth still live here, so quite westcountry, my accent, oddly enough is un placeable,i think as i have grown up i was so dismayed at the local accent i did everything i could to erase it from my speach!
kerry