PDA

View Full Version : First time in Orlando!

Redge
24-11-2003, 08:39
Hi all!

My friends and I decided to make a trip to Orlando. We want to rent a villa and I've already sent a email to a villa owner in Calabay Park for more information. But I wanted to know what are those places and attractions you just can't miss in Orlando. Ok, Disney and all other attraction Park of course but, there must be some places like beach that you think it may be very nice to go for a first time in Florida.

Were from Québec (Canada) and we go to Orlando by plane so we don't have car and we cannot rent one because or our ages (all 18). So, is there any public transports in Olrlando which can take us from the airport to our villa in Calabay Park?

Thanks!

Redge

steph_goodrum
24-11-2003, 11:49
I'm not trying to put you off Calabay Parc Redge (we are just up the road from there so it would equally apply if you wished to rent our home) but at your age and with no transport you may find you are actually better off staying in a hotel somewhere like International Drive, since it is much better located if you don't have transport. I am guessing funds are going to be limited and you will find taxis are going to be VERY expensive to use on a regular basis. We got one from Premium outlets home and it would have cost $60 (one way) but we got stuck in traffic due to an accident and it cost us $87.
At least on I-Drive you can use the shuttles to Disney and the I-ride trolley (about $14 for a 7 day pass) to visit Universal, Wet and Wild, Sea World, Premium Outlets, Beltz etc.
I know you will have nowhere near the facilities in a hotel you will have in a rental villa but you probably will find you are out and about so much that you will not use many anyway. I know you won't be able to drink in FLorida but if you want to go for a meal or something in the evening then you can walk to plenty of places on I drive.

caroline
24-11-2003, 12:53
Hi Remi (Redge)
It was our house you enquired about - I have tried to reply to you but the email keeps bouncing back to me!
We are however booked for your dates so I've passed it back to Orlando Villas for them to circulate to other owners.
Although I have to say I agree with Steph, you'd probably be better of in a hotel as you really need a hire care to get the most from staying in a villa.

Redge
25-11-2003, 06:01
Thanks a lot Steph and Caroline! :)

I will consider the choise of a hotel rather than a villa if I see that there's nothing accessible for 18 years old people like us! To be honnest, yes the transport is a problem but funds are OK because we split in 4 the cost of a villa. But it can be very expansive to stay in a hotel for 8 days long!

I'm gonna check out other owners Caroline just gave me!

steph_goodrum
25-11-2003, 14:08
It's nice to see you appreciate what excellent value for money our villas offer Remi against the cost of an hotel.:D:D

To be honest you may also find that some homeowners may not take a party of young people as well. Unfortunately no matter how well disciplined and behaved you may be we tend to follow the lead of hotels, many of whom will not allow anyone under 21 to sign for a room as they know from experience that there is an added risk, of possible damage etc. In our cases it is often worse in that it is not the cost of 1 room but the home and contents are mostly in the region of the value of $250,000 upwards and not only that but if the home is damaged, unlike hotels who can simply allocate another room to the next party, most owners would be in the position of having to pay for that and possibly compensate them for inconvenience so I hope you would understand their reasons if they felt unable to accommodate you.
I hope wherever you do decide to stay you will all have a wonderful time anyway.

Redge
25-11-2003, 23:00
Hum, I understand your point, Steph. I know that our age may be a problem and I understand the owner who will refuse to let us rent his/her home because we're 18 (adult in Canada). I will ask my friends and make a choise about that but the more I think, the more I realize that a hotel may be the place for us.

By the way, if we (probably) choose to stay in a hotel, wich one do you consider good for us? Money isn't realy the problem (ok, I think that 100$ and + by night is a little expansive for 8 nights:D ). You know, something clean and near Orlando's attractions.

I appreciate the excellents advice you gave me before!

Daniel Ramsey
27-11-2003, 06:57
I would suggest either staying on property at say the Pop Century at WDW or nearby at a motel next to Universal, or if your funds permit stay onsite at USF that way you get special front line priviledges in the parks. you may prefer IOA over Disney anyway.

steph_goodrum
27-11-2003, 11:48
Redge
It's so long since I stayed in an hotel in Orlando I'm not sure how much use but I will do my best to sort out some suitable ideas. I'm sure there must ba an accommodation guide website for International drive. Most things are situated fairly close to the top of I Drive so you can get to places like Universal/IAO, Wet N Wild and Sea world using the I ride trolley, depending on weather, you may be close enough to walk to some of them.

Carla
27-11-2003, 15:58
The big Holiday Inn Resort (4 star on I-Drive North) is a nice hotel, especially if you have a high room in the Tower. You can see some wonderful panoramic views from up there on the 14th floor!! From some rooms you can see almost all of Islands of Adventure!!

They have shuttles to every Park and the I-Drive bus stops right outside to. You could walk in the evenings to some really great restaurants.

Andy & Arlene
28-11-2003, 02:54
The Quality Inn on I Drive, opposite Pointe Orlando is ok as well. I'm sure they also run free buses to the parks too.

Personally I would steer away from Disney hotels. They can be a bit restricting (travel wise)and expensive to eat in if you are there all the time. Best to stick to the hotels on I Drive, as it's much easier to get to all the parks - and the shops from there. Also there are loads of good restaurants and inexpensive 'eat as much as you want' buffets as well in that area.