PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Dollar Car Hire at MCO

60 NORTH
26-10-2008, 01:54
Just back from an excellent holiday in Orlando. I've been with my family 4 times now & have used Dollar Car Hire each time. Never had any problems before, but this time was a different story.
Now I've read on a few web forums about 'beware Dollar at MCO' so I was all set for the hard sell with a polite "no thanks" decline.
I handed across my car rental voucher,which included the gold package,and when I got asked "did I want any extra insurance cover" I just gave the polite "no thanks" and that was it or so I thought!
The Dollar Car Hire rep printed off my receipt and said "just sign where I've circled". Now I'm glad I took the time to read it and not just sign because he'd added a charge of $90.00 for fuel.
When I challanged him about this he picked up the rental voucher and actualy read it properly. He very quickly saw the error of his ways and printed off a new receipt which I checked again and appeared to be OK this time. Now I was prepared for the 'hard sell' but not the silent fuel add on charge.
I had just arrived off a 8 1/2 hr flight & It could have been so easy to miss that extra charge.
I can't say its put me off Dollar Car hire because of one incident but It's made me more aware of checking before you sign.
He also took a credit card swipe so I'll be double checkng my next statements for awhile.

ellie
26-10-2008, 02:56
It is always sensible to check everything that you are required to sign before doing so, but I must say that, despite using Dollar car hire via this site several times a year, we have never had this sort of experience.

The best part about booking via UScarhire.co.uk is that you can rely on Roger to deal with any problem quickly and effectively. Thankfully, problems are very rare, but for my own peace of mind I would never book with anyone else, as Customer Service is par excellence, and I believe cannot be bettered.

roger
26-10-2008, 14:25
I think we can safely say this was a genuine error on the part of Dollar. I have checked your voucher and it was indeed on the Gold option which includes the free tank of fuel. I the event you had not spotted this and had been charged then we would have easily been able to get this back from Dollar for you. They will have had nothing to gain by charging you this, as the reps on the desk make no commission from fuel charges.

Appledore
26-10-2008, 16:32
I had a very similar experience with Dollar. I'd booked flights etc through virgin and specifically asked for the gold package. I received my car hire voucher but it wasn't until I went to the desk that I realised there was nothing on the voucher to say exactly what was booked and I was charged again for the upgrade. I queried it at the time but had no proof. However I did get a full refund and compensation from Virgin. Seems to me they need to charge their system.

Having said all of the above I would still use them!

Elaine

appinlad
26-10-2008, 17:51
Never had any problem with Dollar at MCO usually no one about when I collect! Can't say the same about Dollar at Las Vegas though!

Maddie
29-10-2008, 19:46
If you have the gold packgage am I right you take the car back on empty?

solanasunshine
29-10-2008, 20:58
Yes [msnsmile]