PDA

View Full Version : ENGLISH TEA

carole7007
12-02-2002, 14:21
If you can't do without that cup of tea in the morning, take your own.

We have found it virtually impossible, to find anything that tasted remotely like ours, all seem to be decaffeinated. If we have found a British brand they have been expensive.

A packet of teabags doesn't take up much room !!!

Carla
17-02-2002, 18:01
Don't forget to declare that you have it with you at Customs. They have been confiscating everything recently. The food sniffer dogs are very much in evidence.

Theresa
19-02-2002, 14:26
I also take Robinsons squash for the children. It is very expensive to buy our there - that is if you can find it. They do not seem to make anything similar and I don't like the kids drinking too much soda. We found Cool Aid but you have to add a lot of sugar to it and without sugar its horrible.

imported_n/a
19-02-2002, 20:47
We always take Heinz beans, spaghetti and sauces although available are very dear in comparison to the UK.

However, I feel the range of food is far better and I always think there are far more healthier options - ie Fat Free packaged cold meats, cheeses, every kind of milk, complete ranges of fruit juices.

You can get English papers but a day later obvously.

Do try their fabulous deli counters - but we are yet to find a decent loaf of bread! even with the vast range that is there. Try the bagels much better than UK.

Theresa
19-02-2002, 21:30
I make a wicked sub using Cuban bread from Publix. You can get the bread from Walmart as well but not as good. Also have to use swiss cheese, turkey, ham and any other meat you might fancy, pickles, ranch dressing and some other dressing but I can't remember the name of it.

I like American bread just not a big enough slice though.

scamhammer
25-12-2003, 01:10
There's an English tea shop in the town centre at Celebration. It was featured in a TV series earlier this year in the BBC in Britain. Amazingly, it still seemed to be in business a couple of weeks ago.

Sherlocks' is what its called.

poet123
30-01-2004, 18:59
As anebie I thought you were not allowed to take any foodstuffs into the US is that wrong? or is it ok if you declare it?

kevinprewett
31-01-2004, 02:12
quote:Originally posted by poet123

As anebie I thought you were not allowed to take any foodstuffs into the US is that wrong? or is it ok if you declare it?

Hi,
obviously don't try to take in meat products! But depending upon the mood of the officer if you declare what you've got they are usually ok.

Kevin[msnwink]

blott
31-01-2004, 03:26
Oh, not just meat products Kevin... see http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/leavingarrivinginUS/vacation/know_brochure/prohibited_restricted.xml

esprit
31-01-2004, 04:10
People have brought me these in without trouble.
Teabags ( loads), wine gums, loads of bakewell tarts and Mr Kiplings cakes, biscuits, HP brown sauce ( thanks, folks who risked that in their suitcases) and chocolate. However a jar of mincemeat destined for my pies was sadly confiscated in Washington. They thought it was meat at first but when told it was fruit, that was no better!!!
Publix on 192 does sell English tea at a price. There is a new English teas shop and food shop on 192 almost opposite Lindfields entrace, Churchills. They have everything at a price.

Ruth
31-01-2004, 04:20
We always take Marmite over (as it is vegetarian it is okay to do so) as it helps hide the taste of the toasted bread;)

esprit
31-01-2004, 07:12
I know EXACTLY what you mean, Ruth. Imagine eating that 365 days a year. I have discovered Sunblest raison bread here though and that aint too bad.

blott
31-01-2004, 15:28
Mum would be very upset to hear you say that about the bread as she just loves it - in fact, she brought three loaves of it back and I think is still eating it as it seems to last forever! :D

caseyd
31-01-2004, 18:37
Questions from the curious one:

1) What is the big difference between U.S. and British bread? Is British bread more dense, or differently flavored, or what?

2) What is the flavor of Robinson's Squash drink that you are unable to match in the U.S.?

3) I won't even ask what the big difference is between U.S and British teas, as I know that is just too sacred a topic to get into. But I would like to ask what brands of British tea you all drink, so that when I go into the Sherlock's tea shop in Celebration that I learned about on the posts here, I can try some of them and have my own personal tea tasting contest.

blott
31-01-2004, 19:26
Some of this is easy and some very difficult!

1 British bread is more dense and far less sweet than American bread (we're talking supermarket sliced bread here) and goes better with both sweet and savoury fillings. American bread (I think) tastes most odd with savoury fillings.

2 Come on, how can we describe a flavour?

3 Probably you've never heard of these but Typhoo & Tetley are pretty popular teas in the UK. Also Yorkshire tea (which comes out really strong). I think the problem that most UK people have with US tea is that it's difficult to brew so that it's strong enough or has enough flavour. It's ideal for lemon tea or even iced tea (yuck!) although we'd probably use Earl Grey for lemon tea over here.

caseyd
31-01-2004, 19:37
So that's why you use the tea bag gripper, to get the fuller flavor out of the bag then, I see.

On the Robinson's squash, I thought maybe it could be described if it was like an orange or lemon-lime flavor or whatever like that. I fit is a proprietary flavor, as an example like Coke is, then that's different and can't be described. Is it a powder you mix up w/water (I see the poster said they tried Kool-Aid as an alternative, and that is a mix).

BTW, I drink Tetley tea here, get it at the upscale U.S. supermarket (ones close to me are Gourmet Giant and Safeway marketplace- these are upscale versions of the regualr Safeway and Giant stores--(they carry british chutneys and mincemeat too. and lots of other country's ethnic foods and drinks). Are there any specialty upscale supermarkets in the area of Orlando around the villas, not Publix but something that carries more unusual and more foreign foods along w/the regular stuff? If anyone has any info on that, please post, aas there are things I'd like to get for our week in the villa that you can't get at places like Publix.

esprit
31-01-2004, 19:45
The Italian bread here is tenable to British taste so I tend to buy that, though it doesnt toast well. Robinsons, no it is a liquid in a bottle that you add water to. It is in a number of flavours, though I have seen the most popular blackcurrant one here in Publix on the international section. It is much dearer than in the UK though. It isnt fizzy like coke and kids like it.

fiona
31-01-2004, 23:46
Squash (such as Robinsons) appears to be unique to us. As Julie says it is a concentrate of a variety of flavours - orange, lemon, grapefruit, blackcurrant apple etc. My girls drank squash, fruit juice or milk and occasionally water not fizzy drinks, so when we first went to US they found it very difficult to find anything to drink. I did take out a huge plastic bottle of blackcurrent and apple and and orange one - wonder why if that was why the sniffer dog was giving our bags a good going over? Of course as they have got older they have got used to fizzy drinks and will now drink diet coke or mountain dew - as in the parks it was very difficult!

chrizzy100
01-02-2004, 02:23
quote:Originally posted by esprit

People have brought me these in without trouble.
Teabags ( loads), wine gums, loads of bakewell tarts and Mr Kiplings cakes, biscuits, HP brown sauce ( thanks, folks who risked that in their suitcases) and chocolate. However a jar of mincemeat destined for my pies was sadly confiscated in Washington. They thought it was meat at first but when told it was fruit, that was no better!!!
Publix on 192 does sell English tea at a price. There is a new English teas shop and food shop on 192 almost opposite Lindfields entrace, Churchills. They have everything at a price.

The people are very nice at Churchills...and their cream teas don't cost that much.......:D

esprit
01-02-2004, 07:38
Cream teas are good value undercutting Sherlocks by quite a margin. Keep meaning to have one.

sarahjk
01-02-2004, 14:09
Hi Guys

Just thought I would add a little here

Tea bags now you cant match our own tetley or pg but the Publix own brand is by far the best american tea bags I have found if you dont want to take any with you or as we always find we run out before the end of the holiday as for juice they do have calypso juice cups which are exactly the same as our own and they do disney drinks that are the same and I find that buying some of them and the orange juice and other fruitjuices Walmart do a gallon bottle of minute maid in 2 flavours that are about 2 dollars which is great value
As for Sherlocks we went there last year after reading these threads and I am sorry to say I did not think that they were that much different in taste to the rest of the coffee shops out there and deffinately not worth the price[msnsad]

Sorry[msnscared]

Sarah