PDA

View Full Version : December Fishing

fishman
23-09-2008, 14:56
Hi all

Arriving the 27th December and am looking forward to some good fishing, I will be staying in Davenport (Watersong)and am looking for some bass/catfish fishing (never caught either)I was going to take my own fishing gear but after looking on Walmarts site have decided to buy over there instead. any help would be appriciated.

Cheers

Robert5988
23-09-2008, 16:59
Catfish are hated by most fishermen and they do everything possible to avoid catching them, any bait left on the bottom will get a catfish. Slimey and difficult to get of the hook.

Well worth a visit to the east coast to fish off a pier or the beach. Pompano, whiting, snook, bluefish, redfish can be caught in Dec

fishman
24-09-2008, 04:05
Cheers for that but I want to catch something i have not caught before and catfish and bass are two things i have never caught. So any help on these two would be great.

Cheers

blott
24-09-2008, 06:14
The biggest places to catch big mouth bass are in Lake Toho and East Lake Toho - you can get to Lake Toho via the 192 to Kissimmee Historic District and then turn left at any of the roads where the stores are or via Poinciana Boulevard at Southport. East Lake Toho is at St Cloud.

Having said that, you may be able to catch big mouth bass and catfish in any lake in your community where you're staying if it has a lake and fishing is allowed there.

You'll need a fishing licence wherever you fish and you can obtain this from either places like Wal-Mart, fishing tackle stores or online from the Fish and Wildlife Service. It's around $17 - $18.

fba
26-09-2008, 01:34
Great to hear you will be coming to Orlando. You might want to consider hiring a guide to really experience Florida Bass Fishing. [website link edited]

Anthony Brook
16-10-2008, 19:57
I was in the same boat (excuse the pun) a year or so ago and went out on the chain of lakes with a guide to catch large mouth bass.
Good fun but it is a bit pricey.

If you make your way to US27 from Watersong and head south for 10 mins and come off at the Haines City turn but head West you come to Lake Alfred. There is a dock there that you can fish from. You will catch catfish and if the correct lure or bait is used there is a chance of bass. Trouble I have there is if I put meat on the hook I seem to catch turtles!

I have had a pretty big mud fish from there too caught on worm.

Every chance if you go to the dock there will be just you there but on occasion you find the odd local.

millie
17-10-2008, 00:51
Dh went fishing off CoCoa Beach last trip and he caught sharks. Not huge ones obviously. But a big enough fight. He thoroughly enjoyed it and it was very reasonable and all tackle included in the price. Can DM you the link if you wish.

fishman
17-10-2008, 22:47
Yes please, I want to do some sea fishing and sharks would be amazing thanks for the offer.

Robert5988
18-10-2008, 04:36
Again sharks are very easy to catch off the beach; although summer is best.

Just south of Cocoa Beach, a guy is claiming the world record for a rod and line(from the beach) caught shark at 1,800lbs - photos in the paper etc. A surfer took his bait(a stingray) out quite a long way.

Here is a shark and a catfish

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Robert5988/2008101802819_Big_Shark.jpg

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Robert5988/2008101803517_Catfish.jpg

fishman
18-10-2008, 15:55
Very nice pictures, this is what I am looking for, something I have not caught before (catfish, Bass) that sort fo thing, I will be trying the beaches and looking into a boat trip as well.

fishman
18-10-2008, 15:59
Anthony, thanks for the advice as well I missed your post, that would be amazing if it's only 10 mins from Watersong, we will be trying that out.

Cheers

Anthony Brook
19-10-2008, 01:57
Depending on how much you want to spend determines what you get.

Do a search for fishing charters out of certain areas (Clearwater has quite a few). I know there are a few who have a calender of sorts and you can see where the gaps are for single fishermen. You will be with a few others but you then share the bill for the charter. I would expect to pay about $100 or slightly more.

The pier fishing is good and I have fished several across Florida catching Sharks, Barracuda, Trigger fish, Catfish, Flounder etc. etc. I think you get the rod (pole in US) bait and licence for less than $30 on most piers. Try and get live shrimp and hook them just under the spine an their heads as this doesn't kill them so they stay alive and attractive to fish.

Still the best fishing I have done in Florida is the Tarpon Fishing in Boca Grande. June is best though.

Mr G
19-10-2008, 02:19
By your name and avatar you are obviously a professional fisherman[msnwink]

From a hobby fisherman who doesn't have time to fish in the UK. I must admit I love catching catfish. My son, and I love walking to the end of our garden in Florida and fishing the lake. It a matter of minutes with even bread flakes you can catch catfish.

Many of our guests are similar and comment on the ease of catching the local fish, catfish, probably Bass, but I am no expert. It is fun and easy in Florida. Most areas of water will contain fis...

Just be aware as in the UK there are regulations re licenses etc.Walmart as you mentioned has all the tackle and advice so enjoy your fishing.

fishman
19-10-2008, 04:03
"By your name and avatar you are obviously a professional fisherman" I wish lol, no i just love fishing and love catching new species of fish, I have taught Kids over here how to fish with the local rangers and have won couple of trophys but just love wetting a line especially in another country.

Susan J
20-10-2008, 13:41
With regard to tackle- don't bring any with you- take a day [yes day] to look around OUtdoor World at the end of International Drive- we have a fisherman friend who spends HOURS browsing in there, and brings home different lures etc than you can get in UK -he bought a collection of fishing rods to leave over in Florida and a couple of cheaper ones for his grandsons. He also buys from Walmart- but outdoor world is fun- they do fishing demonstrations in the HUGE tank they have in there :)

Robert5988
21-10-2008, 03:15
Well if you really do want a catfish(can't think why!!) you get any sort of bait(fish, meat, cheese, shrimp clam) throw it into any water(sea - river - lake) and let it sink to the bottom.

No need to do anything, have a beer, and you will catch a catfish.

If you get a Pompano rig(with 3 hooks) same procedure will catch you 3 catfish at the same time.

If you want more of a challenge, buy a goldfish, put it in a bowl and use a small hook to catch it.

Please Please don't tell the people in Outdoor World you want to catch a catfish - they think us Brits a bit crazy anyway.[msnwink]

florida4sun
21-10-2008, 03:44
Plenty of americans fish for catfish, its the staple diet in the south. Nowt wrong with catching them and you can get some monsters.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
Well if you really do want a catfish(can't think why!!) you get any sort of bait(fish, meat, cheese, shrimp clam) throw it into any water(sea - river - lake) and let it sink to the bottom.

No need to do anything, have a beer, and you will catch a catfish.

If you get a Pompano rig(with 3 hooks) same procedure will catch you 3 catfish at the same time.

If you want more of a challenge, buy a goldfish, put it in a bowl and use a small hook to catch it.

Please Please don't tell the people in Outdoor World you want to catch a catfish - they think us Brits a bit crazy anyway.[msnwink]
[/quote]

Anthony Brook
21-10-2008, 22:46
I didn't mind catching this one in France last month. Thats me on the left. The ones in America have barbs on their fins. If they catch you it cause a little soreness.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Anthony Brook/20081021184424_catfish.JPG