PDA

View Full Version : Confused of Essex - Visa info

linda.s
17-09-2008, 04:01
Well, we have finally confirmed that we will be going to Florida in just over 4 weeks - Yayyy!

My beloved son decided to get himself arrested a couple of months ago, well after we had booked our holiday. He hadn't done anything, was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and in fact his only involvement was to try and stop the problem, however, the police arrested everyone!

Anyway, we had our visa appointment today at the Embassy, and now I am really confuddled! The wonderful consulate official we saw (a really nice lady!) told us that we probably wouldn't need a visa after this one, as my son's arrest would be classed as spent by the time his visa expired - I thought that no arrests were considered spent by the US? Anyone know any different?

Do you know the saddest thing about this whole episode though? When my son and his friends were released (they are all 14) the Desk Sargeant told us what good boys they all were, polite, courteous but most of all, when arrested, none were found to be carrying a weapon, which is as rare as hens teeth apparently. According to the officer, most 14 year olds are "tooled up" I find that incredibly scary, and very, very sad..........

steph_goodrum
17-09-2008, 11:34
I suspect it is because of your sons age Linda, I believe I have read somewhere that offences committed whilst a minor did not need to be reported after a certain time. With adults, you are correct in that the US doesnt recognise the Rehabilitation of Offenders act and makes a decision based on each individual case.

It is, as you say though a shame about the state of affairs that means that the Police are now surprised when youths don't carry weapons rather than when they do.

Good thing thouugh is they have obviously granted his Visa so you can go and have a good trip.

ShirleyD
17-09-2008, 13:11
I understand that his record should be wiped when he is 18 and if you have been told this by the US embassy, then I would go with what they say

linda.s
18-09-2008, 00:21
Ahhhh, thought it applied to everyone, and not just adults. When we got his police report though, it shows no information at all, not even his arrest, so he looks clean anyway! At least we can start booking things now, and I am just off to book my car with this lovely site!

ShirleyD
18-09-2008, 03:06
Go for it and have a wonderful family holiday away from all those pressures kids have to deal with these days, in a place where you can all laugh and be kids again [clap]

linda.s
18-09-2008, 04:18
Thank you Shirley - we will!

All-in-all though, this episode has cost the best part of £165! The visa itself was about £75.00, The photo's aren't standard passport size, so they were about £10.00. The police report £35.00. The phone call to a premium rate line, to book the appointment (only way you can book) £13.20. Train fares, £30.00. At least we didn't risk it, get all the way to Florida to be sent home again!

Robert5988
18-09-2008, 12:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:All-in-all though, this episode has cost the best part of £165! The visa itself was about £75.00, The photo's aren't standard passport size, so they were about £10.00. The police report £35.00. The phone call to a premium rate line, to book the appointment (only way you can book) £13.20. Train fares, £30.00. At least we didn't risk it, get all the way to Florida to be sent home again![/quote]
In case anyone else goes to the unnecessary trouble and expense to get a Visa in similar circumstances read:

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42133&whichpage=3

The new ESTA procedures give better definition of what constitutes a crime of Moral Turpitude - and the OP's son wasn't even charged - let alone convicted!