PDA

View Full Version : 4 year old and seating in car

brizzle
19-11-2003, 23:53
Hi all,

We are wondering about the rental car seating for our 4 year old. I have read that under 5's need a seat but was wondering if a booster seat is acceptable?

We have a booster seat which can also have a back attached although in the UK we just use the bottom piece. The seat belt then is secured as normal.

Can't see with the size of her that we'd get her in a 'baby' seat anyway.

Any input from people who have travelled with a 4 year old?

Thanx,

Brizzle

Joannesaunders
20-11-2003, 13:01
Hi Brizzle

I cant see any problem with the car seat you intend to use.

We have a 3 and a half year old (shes 4 in April) who has just grown out of her regular style car seat, the kind thats designed to suit children upto age 4. We have bought the same type of high back booster as you have and intend to take this with us. We leave tomorrow :)

We used the same style seat for our eldest monster (he's now 8) and never had any problems.

Hope this helps.
Joanne

sarahjk
20-11-2003, 14:18
I would check with your travel agency first as the florida law states that children under the age of 5 years must be in a car seat I know we consider booster seats as suitable alternative to car seat but I would definately check first to be sure I know it is a pain as my 4 year old daughter is very willful and hates car seats so since she was 2 we have had her in a booster seat over here but when we go to Florida we tell her that mummy and daddy will be taken away if she doesnt go in it up to now only a few minor paddys[}:)]:([msncry]

Sarah

kaysvacationvilla
20-11-2003, 15:28
We live in Massachusetts and a booster seat is fine. Our law is also up to 5 years old. Most children 4 years old do not fit properly in a regular car seat.

Kay

chrizzy100
20-11-2003, 19:11
quote:Originally posted by sarahjk

I would check with your travel agency first as the florida law states that children under the age of 5 years must be in a car seat I know we consider booster seats as suitable alternative to car seat but I would definately check first to be sure I know it is a pain as my 4 year old daughter is very willful and hates car seats so since she was 2 we have had her in a booster seat over here but when we go to Florida we tell her that mummy and daddy will be taken away if she doesnt go in it up to now only a few minor paddys[}:)]:([msncry]

Sarah

I'd just add to make sure the kids are always in the back seats....:)

brizzle
20-11-2003, 20:59
They're always in the back in this country so no probs there.

I think I will take her normal seat and if I have to rent a 'baby' seat then so be it. I just didn't want to be taken for a ride by the rental company saying she *has* to be in a 'baby' seat to get more money out of me.
I still can't imagine she would fit into a baby seat anyway unless they have a super size version :)

Thanks for the replies.

Neil T.

sarahjk
21-11-2003, 02:55
Hiya

Regarding the subject of booster seats does anyone know if you can hire them from the car hire companies out there or not as we have never considered this but it would be so much easier and not to mention easier on the ears if we can

Thanks

Sarah

Citrus-view
25-11-2003, 23:58
Hi have just checked on the "Floridian highway code" and it says that all childern under 12 must sit in the back and a child seat appropriate to their weight must be used for childern under 4. 4 and above can use the standard seat belts as must the front seat passengers

Happy driving

sarahjk
26-11-2003, 14:15
Hi All

After reading through a previous thread on florida highway codes I followed the link that Steph Goodrum had placed on and found this

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/handbooks/English/

Children infant through 3 years of age must be properly secured using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. Such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

Protecting Children
THE LAW: ALL CHILDREN 5 YEARS OLD OR YOUNGER MUST USE A RESTRAINT DEVICE WHEN RIDING IN A MOTOR VEHICLE.
The law requires every driver to secure children five years of age or younger in child restraint devices riding in a passenger car, van, or pick-up truck, regardless of whether the vehicle is registered in this state. Infant carriers or children's car seats must be used for children three years old and younger. Children's car seats or safety belts may be used for four- and five-year-olds.
All infant carriers and car seats must be crash-tested and approved by the U.S. Government.

It seems to be that an approved constraint must be used for all children under 5 years and a booster seat would fall under that category we will be taking ours I think it is cheaper than renting anyway

Sarah

sarahjk
26-11-2003, 14:50
Hiya again

Now I have found this from using a link from Hampton Lakes

Recommended Child Restraints
Infant Carriers - Birth to 9 months or 20 pounds.
Children's Car Seats - Nine months to four years (20-50 pounds).
Lap Belt - Four years and older (over 40 pounds).
Lap Belt and Shoulder Belt - 55 inches tall.

<hr noshade size="1">

from this over 4s are fine in seat belts if they have the weight and height for them
It is like a mine field isnt it [msneek]
Sarah

brizzle
26-11-2003, 23:36
Looks like we'll be fine. The seat we have comes in two parts the base and the back which slots in if needed. We only use the booster seat in our car so she sits in the right position for the 3 point harness. We will take just the bottom part for her.

Thanks for all the investigative work [8D]

7 and a bit days to go...weeeeeeee

Neil T.

chris
27-11-2003, 23:18
Is it against the law for children under 12 to sit in the front seat or is it just a guideline due to the increased risk of death caused by the airbag?

MTP
28-11-2003, 00:22
Also with the 7 seater minivan (Chrysler Voyager?) coming with built in car seats do you need any additional car seats (we have a 5 year old and 2 year old)?