PDA

View Full Version : Rotonda

NigelM
03-09-2008, 12:00
OK Folks

What will I love about Rotonda?

Am now thinking about using the area as a base to explore the Gulf Coast (within reason).

What I am looking at in particular is shopping/eating on waterfront areas as well as the ease of getting about.

As much info as poss would be greatly apreciated.

Pookie
03-09-2008, 12:55
Where to start Nigel,Rotonda West is located on the cape Haze peninsular an area often referred to as the secret coastline.

Port Charlotte is the nearest town, about 10/15 minutes by car & is home to the more well known eateries, the shopping mall together with golf, craft and home stores.
The smaller town of Englewood is reminiscent of Florida of days gone by with historic district of Dearborne Street.
The beaches on this coastline are quite stunning and offer the visitor a diverse array of nature and wildlife.
Boating is readily available, either rent your own & explore the many barrier islands that skirt this coastline. There are also many harbour & sunset cruises if you prefer.
If you enjoy golfing there are six courses on Rotonda West which offer the golfer a challenging round of golf.

Retaurants are plentiful & suit all tastes & pockets this thread may help as the list is endless.
<span style="color:purple">http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_32944.asp</span id="purple">

Some we love for fish are
The Captain's Table, at Punta Gorda which overlooks Charlotte Harbour, the all you can fish/seafood buffet is on a Friday evening.
Resevations recommended.
Gulf View Grill just across from Englewood Beach.
The Crow's Nest at Venice over looking the waterway..
Gasparilla Island is just across the causeway, with it's Historic Lighthouse and stunning beaches and not forgetting South bar/grill.

Rotonda West is peaceful, shaped like a wagon wheel and is approximately 30sq miles of natural habitat, canals, golf course and homes. With a mix of full time residents and vacation homes I do not think you will be disappointed.

A couple of photos;

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pookie/20089385023_GasparillaMarina.jpg

Gasparilla Marina

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pookie/20089385141_StumpPass.jpg

Stump Pass Beach

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/pookie/20089385233_bocalight.jpg

Baca Grande Lighthouse

Enjoy it is truly magical and to quote the locals
"Just Another Day in Paradise".

Lynne

Mo Green
03-09-2008, 13:25
Where do I start? Rotonda West, a deed restricted area, is mainly a residential area. The properties are all built on large plots with beautifully landscaped gardens overlooking either a canal or a conservation area. Most of the residents are either working or retired so generally the area is very peaceful. Even if you do choose a property next to a rental home the villas are far enough apart that you do not have pools side by side. Most villas are also built with a shady lanai which give even more privacy. The roads are so quiet people are able to take their daily walk or jogging with no fear of being run down.

Whatever your ideal holiday - fishing, sailing, boat trips, golf or the beach you will find it all within 10 - 15 minutes drive. From the beautiful quiet beaches you can watch dolphins play a few yards from the shore and if you are very lucky may even spot a manatee.

The area has many excellent restaurants but for waterside restaurants within 10 - 20 minutes drive there is Farlows, Johnny Leverocks, Fishery Restaurant, Stump Pass Grille or Eagle Grille or South Beach Grille on nearby Gasparilla Island. Slightly further a field there is Sharkeys or the Crows Nest in Venice or several waterside restaurants in FIshermens Village in Punta Gorda. There are also several supermarkets within a few minutes drive if you would like a BBQ and watch the sunset from your pool.

There are many places to visit from Sarasota to Naples and the Everglades and the quaint Gasparilla Island. For retail therapy there is one of the biggest Florida Malls at Port Charlotte (20 mins) or there are two factory outlet malls within an hour’s drive.

Once discovered, people keep returning to this beautiful unspoilt part of Florida – 90% of our guests this year were people who had stayed in Rotonda before.

Katys Grandad
03-09-2008, 13:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by NigelM
OK Folks

What I am looking at in particular is shopping/eating on waterfront areas as well as the ease of getting about.

As much info as poss would be greatly apreciated.
[/quote]

Depends what you mean by 'waterfront'. If you want to dine overlooking the the Gulf of Mexico, you'll have to drive a few miles to the beaches although it's an easy trip. For good reason, true coastal properties with Gulf views are prohibitively expensive although the experience is very special.

There are 'water views' inland but it will be of the inter coastal canals. Pleasant, but not the ocean.

atush
07-09-2008, 19:57
I agree with all the above posts.

I have been comong to FL sinc I was a kid in 73, and have been all over the state (with the exception of the panhandle).

And I bought a house there, so that must tell you something!!

the above therad is a good one for Watersiede restaurants. Ther is also a good one on TA in the venice forum

[website link edited]

and this one from the Englewood forum (although most psots are form those here so most of the places as doubled up)

[website link edited]

The one I don't htink was mentionned here was Snook Haven. between Venice and Englewood. Boat rentals, live music and on the river.