PDA

View Full Version : Current Hurricanes

flyrr100
31-08-2008, 16:04
Right now we have two huge storms bearing down on the southeast USA. Wherever they end up, Central Florida will be getting alot of wind and rain. Yesterday we had strong storms and 3" of rain associated with Gustav. Hannah looks like it's going to hit Florida at some point by the end of next week.
If you are visiting, pack accordingly!
To track the storms I recommend the US government web site.
www.noaa.gov

Jo
31-08-2008, 17:10
The weather was variable though - it was just a couple of showers where we were. We had a nice day on Cocoa beach, then played in the pool when we got back to Orlando and it had dried up. Gustav is moving away from the area - the outskirts just clipped us.

The great thing about here is whatever the weather , there is always fun to be had.

Frosty
01-09-2008, 02:39
I think people sometimes focus too much on the track of the storm and don't realise how big they can be and how far they reach out.

The track for Gustav show's it nowhere near Florida, but we had an awesome storm yesterday afternoon from one of its outer bands.

The lightning and the thunder were some of the loudest and most shocking i have seen since i've been here.

Jeff is correct, we are in for some miserable weather over the next few days.

LiesaAnna
01-09-2008, 03:08
we got caught in the thunderstorms and lightening on our first night..... amazing!!
could not believe the flooding up at sanford!!water up the windows and the palm trees were half under water!!!
its getting windy now but still warm..... i dont care what the weather is like still better to be here then home and from messages from kids back in Brighton UK theyre having rain with thunder and lightening to!! glad im here!!:D

chris
06-09-2008, 23:58
Thunder and lightning is quite standard this time of year in Florida. Usually you get one storm at 3pm which quickly clears up. I know things have been worse than normal recently (I was there for when Fay just wouldnt move and Daytona got 24 inches of rain in 4 days, hence the floods in Sanford area) but they really do make a meal of the winds. I live in Hastings which is the sunniest part of the UK but also one of the windiest - we're just about to get a wind farm just off the coast! 50 mile an hour winds are commonplace. The major problem is the manufactured homes and mobile homes as they just dont stand up to much. In any villa you should be fine, if its an actual hurricane just make sure the pool deck furniture is either put into the garage or put into the pool (if its made of suitable material) so that it cant act like a missile.

LiesaAnna
07-09-2008, 08:14
oh dear Chris...... hope it misses us next week.... have heard its on its way through the centre of florida[msnscared] always wanted to be around one..... dont wish harm on anyone or anything..... just to be part of that experience!! just like 1987 in Brighton and south coast of UK, un believable!!

chrizzy100
07-09-2008, 08:34
Hanna is right over New England right now...but on the Cape its just a little windy...could be because its been so humid here...that does stop storms hitting us that bad sometimes and pushing them inland or keeping them out to sea..its been raining but not a lot at one time...

It could get a bit more windy and wet later tonight..but most of it has passed us by...

I live with 50 mile an hour winds most of Oct...can't say I lived with anything like that in the UK and I lived on the Seafront..maybe the wind in the US is bigger than UK wind....
:D:D:D

I remember the storms we had in 87..I was expecting my son...my car was lifted off the ground when I picked my daughter up from school...
Where I live now the pine trees are old and very tall...they sometimes bend right over and the house feels like the inside of a washing machine...its like a fright train coming down the street...and I believe one had to have been the start of a twister that hit the next town...this house has lost a roof to a twister in its life time...and a small one went through Tuscan Ridge in one of the storms a few years back taking out the palms up the drive...
Its nice to go to the top of our local tower when we have a daytime storm and watch the waves out at sea...I love the sea in rough weather...even being out in it...done a really bad storm in the English channel one year on a ferry that had broke down..that was some trap..only me my friend and the crew were not sick...we were eating eggs and bacon and playing Space invaders...did another in a small speed boat with my parents and the dog...my mum really thought we were goners...

Jill
07-09-2008, 12:05
Changing the subject slightly and following from Chrizzy I lived by the sea for a couple of years and even now miss it. The first thing I did each morning was look out and see what it was doing it was like an ever changing picture. In the summer it was lovely to watch the yachts and the children playing on the beach and the winter I also liked watching the storms and the snow. A walk on the beach Christmas day was a must. Now I live near a canal which although is a lovely walk along the towpath is not the same especially as I cannot see it from the window.

LiesaAnna
07-09-2008, 18:42
hard to believe anything bad gonna happen with the weather here as its so beautiful already!!
and sooooooooooooooooo hot, had to give up shopping earlier then we wouldve liked to yesterday as it was so hot!!
so off to do more shopping then back to the poolside.......:D[msncool]sooooooooo dont want to go home next week!!