PDA

View Full Version : Full tank or empty?

Frosty
30-08-2008, 23:01
There was a big piece on the news yesterday about rental companies charging way over the odds for fuel. As much as double the average cost.

The interviewer got a quote from one of the main men at Dollar who said they charged more as its a hassle for them to have to fill up cars when they are returned.

If thats true, then why don't they offer the option to return the car full?
I have always used florida car hire from here and think you guys gave an excellent service. I do think it would be better though if you negotiated return full deals with them all, like Budget offer.

Here's my reasons:-

If you have a return full deal, you don't worry about how much is left on the last few days, as you simply top up before returning to the airport (there are garages near to both Sanford & Orlando.

I know someone is going to say don't be cheap, if you leave a gallon in the tank so what its only $4. yes it is, but them same people probably drive around to find fuel 2p cheaper at a garage! Its human nature to try save all you can. And $4 in your pocket is better than in the car rental companies coffers.

I would also challenge anyone who says the above, that they haven't looked at the gauge and tried to figure out how much they need to put in the tank on their last fill up.

And remember what the Dollar guy said, its a hassle for them to fill up every car, so lets help them out and bring it back full[msnwink]

roger
31-08-2008, 03:58
The thing is, they can make more money from returning empty and charging over the odds for the tank of fuel. Dollar allow you to return full on Silver, but we can not get it in a contract. You have to specifically tell them on collection this is what you want to do. Even when doing so they will often charge you for a tank on return, in which case Dollar will then refund the fuel cost. If you do return full you must point out to the check-in clerk that it is full.

steph_goodrum
31-08-2008, 04:43
It always used to be an option on Dollar, we always did that and you had to provide a receipt proving you had filled up witihin 11 miles of the airport. They now always say you return it empty which is a pain, mu husband always says he doesnt see why they should sell the same gallon of fuel twice (which is actually illegal.

MTP
31-08-2008, 06:01
I don't see why it is any more difficult to return the car empty compared to full. Yes, there are garages that could be en route to the airport, but when we are on the way to the airport, it is easier to be on the way to the airport. By the tim we are returning, I have usually got a good feel for the fuel gauge and can guesstimate how much to add when. Plus, the prices we have been given for fuelling the car have never been unreasonable or excessive, given the variability of gas prices that you can find.

Robert5988
31-08-2008, 12:02
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Plus, the prices we have been given for fuelling the car have never been unreasonable or excessive, given the variability of gas prices that you can find.[/quote]Surely that is the whole point of this thread - that prices charged by the rental companies are excessive!

I believe that Dollar/Alamo/Budget all charge over $7 a gallon - when the cost of fuel in a gas station is normally between $3 and $4. That can represent an additional charge of at least $40 and up to $80 over the cost of filling it up yourself and taking it back full.

Although a small point, it is annoying enough that the 'full' tank you get whan you pick up the car is only filled so that the gauge is reading just on full and drops as soon as you have done a couple of miles. When you fill it yourself you can get in an extra 3 gallons without 'dribbling' it in.

Also some people simply don't use a full tank of petrol during their stay, even if it is for 3 weeks. My place is 60 miles from MCO and I stay 3 weeks normally, yet I don't use a full tank on most trips

I normally get a Budget car that you can hand back in full.

blott
31-08-2008, 12:36
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
It always used to be an option on Dollar, we always did that and you had to provide a receipt proving you had filled up witihin 11 miles of the airport. They now always say you return it empty which is a pain, mu husband always says he doesnt see why they should sell the same gallon of fuel twice (which is actually illegal.[/quote]Steph you lost me there. They don't sell you the same petrol twice.

On Silver, when you pick up the car, the tank is full and you haven't paid for it at that stage. When you return the car empty, then you pay the car rental company for a full tank.

With Gold you pay for the full tank in with the rental price and return empty for no extra full tank charge.

That's only charging once surely?

Personally, I don't mind that much either way - if it's return empty, the car rental company has to pay someone to take the car to fill it up, hence the increased charge.

If it's return full, then you're using your holiday time to flll it up.

Even if it's return empty and you pay extra for it, it's still cheaper than filling up a tank in the UK and paying someone to do it for you. [msnwink]

canarypam
31-08-2008, 13:16
I think what Steph is saying is that often the car is not actually empty when you return it but the rental company will still charge for a full price therefore you have paid for the same gallon of petrol twice.

Katys Grandad
31-08-2008, 13:21
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
It always used to be an option on Dollar, we always did that and you had to provide a receipt proving you had filled up witihin 11 miles of the airport. They now always say you return it empty which is a pain, mu husband always says he doesnt see why they should sell the same gallon of fuel twice (which is actually illegal.[/quote]Steph you lost me there. They don't sell you the same petrol twice.

That's only charging once surely?
[/quote]

I think the point is that the first renter pays for a full tank within the rental charge although often doesn't use it all. The remaining fuel in the tank is then added to by the rental company and they 'sell' it to the next renter again within their fuel inclusive rental charge. In that way, that part of the fuel has been paid for twice (or possibly many times), albeit by different renters.

blott
31-08-2008, 13:43
Oh, I see. I don't do that. On the way to the airport, I'm usually running on fumes... :D

Katys Grandad
31-08-2008, 14:05
Oh, I see. I don't do that. On the way to the airport, I'm usually running on fumes... :D[/quote]Me too, but they mostly come from my other half cursing me for letting the tank get so low![msnsmile2]

floridageoff
31-08-2008, 14:15
On our last two visits the guys at Dollar's rental desk have suggested that we return the car full (we were on Silver) and then they wrote "Return Full" on our rental agreement. I wish they had told us that in the past, it could have saved us a fortune.

Snapper
31-08-2008, 15:34
Oh, I see. I don't do that. On the way to the airport, I'm usually running on fumes... :D[/quote]Now ain't that the truth!

And on many of the cars the fuel computer tells you exactly how many miles you have left. Couple this with your sat nav telling you exactly how many miles to go and you can drop the car back with single digit miles left in the tank. You can't really grumble at that!!

ShirleyD
31-08-2008, 16:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
Oh, I see. I don't do that. On the way to the airport, I'm usually running on fumes... :D[/quote]Now ain't that the truth!

And on many of the cars the fuel computer tells you exactly how many miles you have left. Couple this with your sat nav telling you exactly how many miles to go and you can drop the car back with single digit miles left in the tank. You can't really grumble at that!![/quote]We had 4 miles left when we returned our car to Miami, trouble is, you never know if you are going to get stuff in traffic or exactly where the car return place is. I have used the Dollar return full option the last couple of times at Orlando as I know where the gas stations are. The first time no problem, the second Roger had to reclaim it for me as we were charged. Would certainly use this option again. :D

Robert5988
31-08-2008, 16:31
The point raised by the OP in this thread surely only applies to those who take the silver option, as they are the the only people who have the choice of returning empty and paying $7 plus a gallon or filling it up at between $3 to $4 a gallon.

Taking the latter choice saves a lot of money.

If you take the Gold option you obviously attempt to take it back as empty as possible as you have(effectively) pre-paid for the fuel. However as said above, many people don't use a full tank of fuel during their stay. Those who have been to Florida several times tend not to cover many miles.

blott
31-08-2008, 17:33
I think it's round the other way Robert with people on their first visit not covering many miles (because they perhaps limit themselves to the theme parks and some shopping, eating out, etc) but repeaters get inquisitive about the rest of the place and start travelling around more.

I can't even remember how many times we've been it's so many and we cover at least 600 - 800 miles every two weeks.

Frosty
31-08-2008, 19:02
My point is if its return full, there is no worry, you simply fill up on the way back to the airport.

It takes 2 minutes tops to do that.

As can be seen from some of the posts, return on fumes, miles left on computer, etc etc, you are having to constantly monitor how much is left.

What then happens if you get stuck in a huge jam and the fumes run dry, then you in the sticky stuff!

My point is that the return full option is so much easier and you don't have to worry about anything!

I just think it would be a better option to have, if it could be negotiated into the rentals are offered.