PDA

View Full Version : Update required

NigelM
28-08-2008, 19:22
Hi All last travelled in April 2007.

Have planned a trip for July 2009.

We will all have vaild passports but only two of us will have the Bio-thingummy style.

What do I need to do if anything to prepare?

Thanks

Snapper
28-08-2008, 19:30
Hi Nigel,

You will need to apply for the new Electronic Travel Authorisation (ESTA).

The main website for this is here: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

There is also some background information on the UK Embassy's website: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/dhs/dhs_esta_factsheet_03jun08.html

Have a good trip

steph_goodrum
28-08-2008, 22:29
That applies for all of you including those with bio passports. Good news is though that you wont have to fill in a gereen form so thats one less bit of paperwork on the day.

ShirleyD
29-08-2008, 01:00
Steph I was speaking to the immigration officer at Tampa and he said they expected the forms to stay for a while yet

Lynnes
29-08-2008, 01:38
Shirley I had also heard that

Robert5988
29-08-2008, 02:39
The Green Waiver Form(I94-W)will remain in use until 12 Jan 2009* when ESTA becomes mandatory.

It is all in the FAQ in the link above.

*To be accurate, that is if you are arriving in the USA by plane/ship. If you, say, drive in from Mexico you will still need a waiver form.

steph_goodrum
29-08-2008, 02:43
By the time the poster goes in Julythe forms should be gone, as has been said once ESTA is compuosry in January the forms are meant to be going.

ShirleyD
29-08-2008, 03:50
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
By the time the poster goes in Julythe forms should be gone, as has been said once ESTA is compuosry in January the forms are meant to be going.
[/quote]
As I said to the man in Tampa, the sooner the better [msnwink]

NigelM
29-08-2008, 18:45
Thanks all of you.

So to get it straight by the time we travel:

- We will not need to complete that green form for each member of the family but will still need to complete the one white form covering the whole party.

- We will need to register our visit with ESTA and this can be done online. What hapenns after that do you need to print-off and take with you some form of acknowledgement which you get online? Who checks this?

- As long as all of our passports are machine readable and have six months to go after the final date of our stay then that will be OK.

Correct?

Thanks

blott
29-08-2008, 19:16
As long as the non-biometric passports were issued prior to 26 October 2005, yes.

pawwavingpuppy
29-08-2008, 19:17
I'm watching this as we travel in June 2009, interested in the - do you need to print it off bit and take it with you[msnscared]

Think I've understood....we just need to complete the ESTA form on-line??

Frosty
29-08-2008, 19:36
what effect will it have on people with valid visa's?

steph_goodrum
30-08-2008, 03:53
Neil and Kay theres no effect if you have a Visa as it is purely for Visa waiver travellers.
Regarding printing it off Im not sure but you will need to suply the airline with your ESTA number before you travel and they will pass it on with the APIS info you supply as required The airlines will tell you where you need to fill that in.

pawwavingpuppy
31-08-2008, 20:52
Just done ours, extremely straightforward....no problems whatsoever:D

Snapper
31-08-2008, 21:20
Nigel, et al,

I thought I would do my ESTA application while it's in my grey cells. It lasts for two years so it's a bit of admin done. Having just done it I can personally say that it is hugely straightforward, and their estimate of 15 mins for the whole process is probably on the high side ... including any printing you might want to do; although it isn't strictly necessary as the ESTA details are held against your passport number.

I think it also worth giving a big thumbs up to the US. I'm sure that this process will help build on the steps they have already taken to make their immigration process faster and more friendly. Many people here have already commented on the improvements and I'm sure that this will take it a step further. If nothing else, it will save the immigration officer a bunch of tearing, stapling and checking the details on green I94W forms. Not to mention removing millions of green I94W forms saving paper and also saving the fuel taken to truck them to wherever they need to go. Credit where it's due! Nice one US!!!

Katys Grandad
31-08-2008, 22:26
It does seem straightforward and easy to make the application. I timed my effort and because I had my passport and flight details to hand, it took me just 8 minutes. I was a little amused to see that the options for year of birth go back to 1883 - I doubt that many 125 year olds will be applying!

I know this sort of question has been asked before on other threads but do I have to change this every time I travel to the US during this voluntary phase? I will be travelling twice in the next 2 weeks but departing from different UK airports and staying at different cities over there.

Frosty
31-08-2008, 22:52
What i mean't is, will we still have to continue as normal and fill out the white I94 or are they doing away with this also?

Robert5988
31-08-2008, 22:56
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I know this sort of question has been asked before on other threads but do I have to change this every time I travel to the US during this voluntary phase? I will be travelling twice in the next 2 weeks but departing from different UK airports and staying at different cities over there[/quote]

During the voluntary phase you still fill out an I94W.

It would appear that your destination address is not mandatory on ESTA.

However if you do put down a destination address it does state that you must update that information.

After the voluntary phrase, when you are not required to fill out a I94W, as I understand it you must put down an address on ESTA each time you visit. I assume if you are staying at the same address on each visit, nothing needs to be done.

Katys Grandad
31-08-2008, 23:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I know this sort of question has been asked before on other threads but do I have to change this every time I travel to the US during this voluntary phase? I will be travelling twice in the next 2 weeks but departing from different UK airports and staying at different cities over there[/quote]

During the voluntary phase you still fill out an I94W.

It would appear that your destination address is not mandatory on ESTA.

However if you do put down a destination address it does state that you must update that information.

After the voluntary phrase, when you are not required to fill out a I94W, as I understand it you must put down an address on ESTA each time you visit. I assume if you are staying at the same address on each visit, nothing needs to be done.
[/quote]

Excellent response Robert - thanks.

Katys Grandad
01-09-2008, 13:32
Well, the latest is that my application was approved virtually instantly but my wife's is 'Pending' (I've always had my suspicions about her activities[msnwink]).

Anybody else had the 'Pending' message?

tezz7628
15-09-2008, 10:56
scenario

visa waiver form wasn't collected at departure airport

some years later noticed it in passport

to follow correct procedure - give proof of return showing bank transactions etc.

could one use the esta process to apply for new visit and find out if return of green form would really be required [msnwink]

julieann
17-03-2009, 21:22
My husband has renewed his passport and needs to change his esta.....we are travelling next Thursday. Just looking for the offical site. He's found a couple that are saying he has to pay. I think these must be scams? Snappers email address above looks more like it - thanks. Unfortunately we can't find our original numbers, thought we had left them on 'post its' in the passports - but not there now! Does this mean we will all have to start again and get new esta numbers? Grateful if someone could advise. Thanks in advance - Julie..

Robert5988
17-03-2009, 21:48
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:My husband has renewed his passport and needs to change his esta.....we are travelling next Thursday. Just looking for the offical site. He's found a couple that are saying he has to pay. I think these must be scams? Snappers email address above looks more like it - thanks. Unfortunately we can't find our original numbers, thought we had left them on 'post its' in the passports - but not there now! Does this mean we will all have to start again and get new esta numbers? Grateful if someone could advise. Thanks in advance - Julie..[/quote]

Apparently you start again - see one of the posts in this thread.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_49439.asp

lafifille
17-03-2009, 22:45
Yes, you do it again, as stated on the official website (which is free, of course): if you lose your numbre just ask for a new one. I did it 3 times, but that's another story [msnwink]. You should get approved right away.