PDA

View Full Version : First time post - Dollar Rental Car Question

nzers
21-08-2008, 11:40
Hoo Roo everyone from New Zealand. I came across your fantastic forum when searching the www to answer a question I have regarding our upcoming car hire from Dollar.

Now I realise that this board relates to Florida rentals, but I hope the same policies might apply nationwide as we are renting from Dollar in San Francisco next month. I have booked a Premium category car with Dollar as we would really love to hire a Chrysler Pacifica for our 21 day road trip. Our second choice would be a 300, so I have assumed that by booking this category all our bases are covered - right???

Well, just so I got my facts straight I phoned Dollar (an expensive international call) to clarify which cars are in this category, only to be told that the main one is a Mercury Grand Marquis!!! OMG - that would be the pits!!!

What would you do? I'm not sure how big the depot in downtown SF is, maybe I should change the pickup to the airport location which may have a larger selection of cars???

Please help - has anyone been allocated the Mercury??? Can I refuse it and take a downgrade???

Thanks

nzers

florida4sun
21-08-2008, 13:36
Hello,
presuming you did ot book trough this site. No car modal is guaranteed as I understand it they do differ from location to location. Unless someone has rented recently from this location there is no real way of telling what you will get. You can ask for a particular model when you check in but it is not guaranteed. Premium types will be listed with whomever you have booked with.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by nzers
Hoo Roo everyone from New Zealand. I came across your fantastic forum when searching the www to answer a question I have regarding our upcoming car hire from Dollar.

Now I realise that this board relates to Florida rentals, but I hope the same policies might apply nationwide as we are renting from Dollar in San Francisco next month. I have booked a Premium category car with Dollar as we would really love to hire a Chrysler Pacifica for our 21 day road trip. Our second choice would be a 300, so I have assumed that by booking this category all our bases are covered - right???

Well, just so I got my facts straight I phoned Dollar (an expensive international call) to clarify which cars are in this category, only to be told that the main one is a Mercury Grand Marquis!!! OMG - that would be the pits!!!

What would you do? I'm not sure how big the depot in downtown SF is, maybe I should change the pickup to the airport location which may have a larger selection of cars???

Please help - has anyone been allocated the Mercury??? Can I refuse it and take a downgrade???

Thanks

nzers
[/quote]

nzers
22-08-2008, 04:42
Thanks for your reply Martin. No, unfortunately I had already booked via Dollars Uk site and I only stumbled across this forum by accident. I wish I had booked here tho' - it's a great resource. I'll just keep my fingers & toes crossed that we don't end up with an dreadful car. I am curious tho' what other renters have ended up with when booking the Premium class with Dollar or Thrifty...

nzers

Sloop
24-08-2008, 00:41
Last year, we upgraded to Premium with Dollar at the airport (Sanford). Yes, I know, against all the advice on this forum etc etc [msnsad] Anyway, we were given a Chrysler Pacifica so well chuffed [msnsmile2] although we probably did pay over the odds.

ShirleyD
24-08-2008, 01:11
San Fran is a huge airport, I am sure there will be a big choice