PDA

View Full Version : Hope you're all ok

sammibabe
20-08-2008, 03:30
If the info that we are getting here is accurate then I hope all you guys over there at the moment are ok. Tonish as we heard was evacuated and going to Orlando but the info that we are getting here is that it looks like being over that region this evening so hope you are still alright.

blott
20-08-2008, 04:10
It's a Tropical Storm which produces lots of rain and some wind of about 40 - 50 mph - it's about as bad as an autumn storm in the UK so no major problems. :)

luckylady
20-08-2008, 04:32
Sam no need to be concern looks like it is a storm in a teacup [msnwink]

Kazzie
20-08-2008, 05:27
We are out here in Orlando at the moment and its raining and a little windy, nothing more to report. Its just like a normal day in the UK at any time of year, still nice and warm here though[msnwink]

DaveL
20-08-2008, 11:27
Email Quote last night from my current guest :-

"The rain is quite heavy now and the wind is getting stronger but it's still nothing more than we are used to on a regular basis in Sussex!"

Dave

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
20-08-2008, 11:37
The UK media love to hype up anything like this to do with Florida. Looks like this time is no exception [msnsad].

sammibabe
20-08-2008, 13:02
Sounds like the same as the whole of the school holidays so far then except I've had to wear a jumper because it's been cold too! Glad it's not too bad (especially as we're off on Friday[msnwink])

chrizzy100
20-08-2008, 18:31
You people live in really bad places in the UK...I lived on the Seafront and can't remember 40 plus winds that often...I now lived with them a lot of the year..and 40 miles an hour can be a bit rough
I think the weather reporting in the US is way over the top...so when there is cause to worry people take no notice...
I take no storm lighty...I've lived by the Sea to long...but I do wish I could get no nonsense reporting...

Lynnes
20-08-2008, 18:36
I live in the Yorkshire dales and this happens regularly.

Mo Green
20-08-2008, 19:13
I was looking at a Florida webcam yesterday and glanced out of our window in the UK. Seemed there was not a lot of difference - grey skies, rain and strong wind. It was only the type of trees which were diffferent.

Mo

mfairhurst
20-08-2008, 19:40
We have got warm sunny weather here at the moment first time for weeks hope it stay this way to dry the garden out as it needs some attention .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

ravtino
20-08-2008, 22:07
We have just come back and the weather has been mixed, I think in general the weather all over the world is changing, I come from Queensbury (Yorkshire) which has really bad winters, in fact when I met my hubbie I had to move away from the mountain as he could not stand it, the winds could blow you off your feet, our house was called Bleak House and when having to walk 4 miles to the nearest main rd in winter cos of the snow and I could'nt get the car out it sure was bleak - oh happy days:D

Frosty
21-08-2008, 01:34
I live near disney and work in Longwood (North of Orlando).

Both have received lots of rain, but nothing too bad.

However its all relative to where you are, some people south of us have received up to 20" of rain.
That can hardly be dismissed as a normal storm.

Yes it was just a tropical storm, it never became a Hurricane, but it can spawn tornadoes (at least 7) and lots of flooding.

Yes they do hype it up, but there is genuine reason to be worried when you are in its path.

Read the article here:-
[website link edited]

Tell them there was no major problems!

Katys Grandad
21-08-2008, 09:09
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lynnes
I live in the Yorkshire dales and this happens regularly.
[/quote]

Absolutely. I've read of many a Tropical Storm in t'dales. You Yorkshiremen could teach these Floridian wimps a thing or two about these things.

I'll bet Geoffrey Boycott would have been out there opnin' battin' in his underpants.[8D]

LiesaAnna
21-08-2008, 12:52
well we're off to florida next week and im sooooooooooooooooooo hoping its gonna be better then here.... we in Brighton south east coast had 50-60 mile an hour winds last week and i was down the marina in the evening, parked on 6th floor of the car park as we were going to the cinema but going for a meal first, thought we would walk across the walk way...... wrong it had been closed off as the winds were so strong!! yep i had to walk down to the ground floor and then back again later..... new knee still not working 15 months later!!!!

i guess whatever the weather in florida its still gonna be better then being here!!!!! personally i dont care whatever the weather when in florida....... so many things to do regardless of the weather...... sunshine helps tho
:D[msncool]:D[msncool][party1][party1][party1][high5]

Robert5988
21-08-2008, 17:35
24 inches of rain has fallen on my place(just North of Melbourne) and its still raining. Floods everywhere, drains can't cope, and I don't think they are playing cricket either.

chrizzy100
21-08-2008, 18:39
Drains can never cope here Robert...if I have a good storm on the Cape...I become riverside property...with a sandy beach thrown in...we can't leave the house...they only replaced the drains a few years ago too..
We've had some really big thunderstorms this year in MA...very odd for this area..almost every day for a month...they believe twisters were seen too...but seeing as they are not that large here its hard to tell if its just really high winds or not...

ShirleyD
22-08-2008, 18:40
We were in Naples when the storm hit. In the morning the airport road was 2 feet under water, but by lunch time it had cleared and it was pretty much business as usual with many shops opening in the afternoon.

Tonish
22-08-2008, 19:54
Whilst we were evacuated, we didn't see much of a problem, and the evacuation looks, with hindsight, to have been a bit OTT. We headed up to Orlando for a couple of days and the storm followed us.

The news reports show lots of flooding, which looks dreadful in places and Robert sounds in danger of floating away, but we've been through Miami, across to Captiva, up to Orlando and back again, and seen nothing more than some occasional heavy rain. Nothing we wouldn't come across at home.

Could do with some sun getting through, though. Dull grey is frustrating after a few days.

Katys Grandad
22-08-2008, 20:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
Whilst we were evacuated, we didn't see much of a problem, and the evacuation looks, with hindsight, to have been a bit OTT. We headed up to Orlando for a couple of days and the storm followed us.

The news reports show lots of flooding, which looks dreadful in places and Robert sounds in danger of floating away, but we've been through Miami, across to Captiva, up to Orlando and back again, and seen nothing more than some occasional heavy rain. Nothing we wouldn't come across at home.

Could do with some sun getting through, though. Dull grey is frustrating after a few days.
[/quote]

Are you back on Captiva now? I'm there in a couple of weeks and hope for better weather.

chrizzy100
22-08-2008, 21:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish

[/quote]

It was dull and gray when I was in FL last month...we have had really bad storms in MA...a lot of places seem very wet this year....we go months without seeing rain in MA...but its been raining nearly every day here...but when its been dry its been lovely..

Tonish
23-08-2008, 00:04
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
Katys Grandad

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you back on Captiva now? I'm there in a couple of weeks and hope for better weather.

[/quote]

Got back Wednesday evening. We're in a villa on Andy Rosse Lane, so we've been frequenting the Mucky Duck. Still a bit windy and wet, but even with that, it's much preferable to life back in Canary Wharf. A lot of the sand has gone missing from the beach, otherwise you can't tell there's been a storm.

Katys Grandad
23-08-2008, 08:08
Thanks for that - I hope it brightens up for the rest of your stay.

sunseeker
24-08-2008, 19:50
We just got back from Marco Island, I wouldnt say we get storms quite like that at home although the US media did seem to over react a bit. Was very windy for a few days, constant 50mph winds not like the uk gusts. weather is going to be a bit unreliable for a while longer yet.

Dave

Robert5988
25-08-2008, 00:15
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:We just got back from Marco Island, I wouldnt say we get storms quite like that at home although the US media did seem to over react a bit. Was very windy for a few days, constant 50mph winds not like the uk gusts. [/quote]

It was still bad enough to kill 11 people in Florida and some more in the Caribbean before it arrived in the US.

The problem is that despite all the high tech forcasting equipment it is not an exact science to forcast the impact of hurricans; they can unexpectedly strenghten and change direction.

This current storm(Fay) was initially expected to cross the Keys and go into the Gulf. However it turned East and crossed Florida into the Atlantic; albeit only at Tropical Storm strength.

IIRC Katrina was not forcast to be a big problem on its original track, but it headed North and picked up strength alarmingly until it hit the panhandle.

ShirleyD
25-08-2008, 03:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
The problem is that despite all the high tech forcasting equipment it is not an exact science to forcast the impact of hurricans; they can unexpectedly strenghten and change direction.

[/quote]

I have to agree and whilst it may have looked like an over reaction, we were amazed at the slick machine that seemed to take over. People in the malls told us they had to ring in first thing and again at mid day to see if they would open in the morning or in the afternoon. The TV had constant ticker tape going across the programmes giving up to date information.

Whilst it was only a tropical storm, it was only 4mph off a hurricane at its maximum of 70mph winds when it hit us in Naples.
They really seem so prepared in Florida for this sort of thing and unlike in the UK when we get a bit of snow, they pick themselves up again very quickly

chrizzy100
25-08-2008, 19:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker
We just got back from Marco Island, I wouldnt say we get storms quite like that at home although the US media did seem to over react a bit. Was very windy for a few days, constant 50mph winds not like the uk gusts. weather is going to be a bit unreliable for a while longer yet.

Dave
[/quote]

I've only got about a month before I have constant 40 mile an hour plus winds in MA...for days on end..its like living in a washing machine....lol!

sunseeker
25-08-2008, 21:05
It was still bad enough to kill 11 people in Florida and some more in the Caribbean before it arrived in the US.

Precisely, not like a normal UK storm then.

Dave

chrizzy100
25-08-2008, 22:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sunseeker

Precisely, not like a normal UK storm then.

Dave
[/quote]

I lived on the Seafront through two storms in the UK that were very bad...but most normal storms in the UK are nothing like the ones you get in the US...

sammibabe
15-09-2008, 23:31
I found it incredible that as the storms went by hundreds of miles away you could feel some of the effects from it in Orlando. We arrived at the tale end of Fay (torrential rain that you couldn't see in front of the car), had a windy afternoon as Gustav and Hanna went past and had wind and rain from Ike.