PDA

View Full Version : Important Information for Rentals from MCO

roger
30-07-2008, 21:32
Orlando International Airport (MCO) has announced it is imposing a new Airport Customer Facility Charge starting on 1st October 2008.

This means customers collecting cars from the airport from 1st October 2008 onwards will be charged the fee.

This does not apply to Budget as the charge is now built in to their rates.

The fee is $2.50 per day, up to a maximum of $12.50 total. So for rentals of over 5 days the fee will still not exceed $12.50

This is beyond the control of the car rental companies, as they have had it imposed on them by the Airport, so are simply collecting the fee and passing it to the airport authority.

We expect in the near future the other rental companies will build this cost in to the pre-paid rates that we are given.

speakle
31-07-2008, 01:12
Quick question. I'll use Virgin as the basis because I always use them. Cars are always included in the price, they give upgrade prices but it's all paid before you go. Does this mean that before I collect the keys I will have to pay more for the priviledge or has this been included in the price from Virgin?

Just wondering if anyone has already booked with Virgin for post October and have received notification.

Sorry, didn't really turn out to be very quick :D

roger
31-07-2008, 01:16
You will have to pay this regardless of who you booked with, even if the package was fully inclusive. The reason being that this is a charge made by the airport to the customer, so the car rental companies are simply collecting the payment for them and passing it on.

If it was a new charge made by the actual rental company then they would not add it for existing bookings.

Fourdents
31-07-2008, 02:08
Do you know why they - the Airport Authorities are putting this charge on ?

ellie
31-07-2008, 02:23
They used to do this in Miami, but then dropped it. It could be a big money-spinner for the airport.

roger
31-07-2008, 06:15
Yes, it's just a good way for the airport to raise money.

MrCake
31-07-2008, 15:43
does sound a bit of a con to me but it's only $12.50

Oceansplasher
01-08-2008, 00:06
We are there in October and are hiring car from Dollar at MCO. For 2 weeks we have an SUV and then return that and pick up an INTERMEDIATE for last week of trip.

Does this mean we will have to pay the fee twice?

I tend to think the answer would be yes, but just wondered if anyone new for definite.

roger
01-08-2008, 00:07
Yes, I'm afraid so since you have 2 rentals.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Oceansplasher
We are there in October and are hiring car from Dollar at MCO. For 2 weeks we have an SUV and then return that and pick up an INTERMEDIATE for last week of trip.

I tend to think the answer would be yes, but just wondered if anyone new for definite.
[/quote]

des
02-08-2008, 17:51
Do you have to pay the fee if you are collecting from resort but returning to MCO ???????

roger
02-08-2008, 18:07
No, it is for collections from MCO only.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by des
Do you have to pay the fee if you are collecting from resort but returning to MCO ???????
[/quote]

Frosty
02-08-2008, 21:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Oceansplasher

[/quote]

Why not change your arrangements and pick up the second car from a local depot rather than the airport?

I'm assuming you would not have to pay as this does not include the airport.

man 480
03-08-2008, 00:24
Im collecting on 19th sept and returning on 3rd oct will i have to pay

Kazzie
03-08-2008, 00:34
I shouldnt think so as it is for collections only from, 1st October.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by man 480
[/quote]

roger
03-08-2008, 01:50
No, it's for collections on or after 1st October.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by man 480
[/quote]

ShirleyD
18-10-2008, 01:30
I notice Alamo and Thrifty don't have a mention of the airport facility charge on the quote page, is this because it is included in the new prices or do you still have to pay it on arrival with all the companies

roger
18-10-2008, 01:36
Yes, see my post above which I amended the other day. Dollar and Thrifty now include this in their rates.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ShirleyD
I notice Alamo and Thrifty don't have a mention of the airport facility charge on the quote page, is this because it is included in the new prices or do you still have to pay it on arrival with all the companies
[/quote]

ShirleyD
18-10-2008, 01:45
Thanks Roger, missed it with the speed reading again !

steph_goodrum
18-10-2008, 03:04
Roger
o you know what that means for rentals booked before they included it within their rates. We booked just before the price riseso does that mean we will have to pay it when we get there in Dec?

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-10-2008, 03:08
I'm afraid it does - it's only included for rentals at the new prices.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
Roger
o you know what that means for rentals booked before they included it within their rates. We booked just before the price riseso does that mean we will have to pay it when we get there in Dec?
[/quote]

steph_goodrum
18-10-2008, 13:51
Thanks John I guessed it would but don't want to pay it twice if we dont have to.

Maddie
20-10-2008, 02:51
Thanks for the info guys!

Maddie

progolfer
27-01-2009, 18:09
im off to orlando 21st feb to march 7th.is it cheaper booking fly and drive and can this be done without a credit card.
i do have a visa top up card.
thanks for any help.

Fourdents
27-01-2009, 20:05
I understand that you have to pay extra for all the car insurances etc with a fly drive.

With the car hire booked through this site all the car insurances, CDW etc etc are included in the price

Booking the car hire separately may prove cheaper

Card payments - Roger would be best able to advise on how this works

[msnsmile]

Pudders
20-02-2009, 14:45
For Roger,

We order a car with you on the 30th July and have just paid the remainder... do we still have to pay the 12.50 or was it included in the remaining balance?

Many thanks

roger
20-02-2009, 16:39
If you are with Budget then this is included. If with the others then this is payable when you collect your car. At present it's still hit and miss as to whether Dollar and Thrifty actually make the charge (but that's more to do with their IT systems, as they should be making the charge).

Jan and Laurence Hood
20-02-2009, 21:25
They used to charge this 'airport access fee' years ago and then it was abolished. At that time, many people started using car rental companies outwith the airport and had to get on the little transport buses to McCoy road which was a nuisance as you were lifting and laying your luggage several times. We were charged this fee a few weeks ago but it was only $12.50 for our entire stay (10 nights).

Michelle
22-02-2009, 01:11
There still are some car rental companies of airport, where you have to get a bus at the airport to pick up car. It is well worth it to pay the payment to be able to collect on airport, as has been said car rental from this site is very good...

Jules
22-02-2009, 18:18
We weren't charged when we collected our car from Dollar (Gold insurance booked through here) in November or January so maybe it's still hit and miss.