PDA

View Full Version : Jurassic park area

esprit
16-03-2002, 22:59
This is a whole area of the park devoted to dinosaurs. You enter through the famous gates to the film music (good photo opportunity).

There are three main rides and attractions.

The River Adventure is basically a giant log flume. You travel in a multi person boat through scenes of some quite realistic looking dinosaurs on your way to the flume and encounter a giant T-Rex with a sting in his tail! The flume is quite steep and you may get wet. Not too scary and OK for kids though.

Triceratops Encounter always attracts huge queues as it is slow moving. It is now fast passed. Basically you just walk past a very techonologically advanced model of a triceratops, which breathes hot breath on you and displays other bodily functions. It is very realistic but you are limited in the amount of time you can look and it is not worth a long wait,

The Pterandon flyers look really good though I have never been on them as you have to either be under 12 or accompanying an under 12 year old to ride. This is to cut down the queues which were enormous. Basically, you sit in a swing like seat suspended from the giant flying dinosaurs and fly across a tropical landscape. Looks good, find yourself an available kid, if yours are too old like mine.

There is also a central building housing dinosaur skeletons, interactive exhibits and a cafe. One of the interactive exhibits involves 'sampling your DNA and telling you which sort of dinosaur you are most related to'. Family all tried it and all came out at the same dino. The kids I could understand, but does that mean I am genetically related to my husband also. I don't think so!!

Julie Carty

imported_n/a
11-09-2002, 16:13
If you haven't seen any of the films, try and do so before you visit as this makes this area of the park even more enjoyable.

athurstance
20-09-2002, 17:08
We had to queue for ages for the Flyers (fortunately we had 2 under 12s with us). It is slow loading and very popular. The ride lasts what seems like a few seconds. Still it is pleasant enough (you have a good view of the park) and worth doing the once although none of us would bother again unless there was no queue at all.

Angela

imported_n/a
24-09-2002, 18:26
Island Skipper Tour Boats run from Port of Entry to Jurassic Park and back - if your feet are tired, hop aboard for a ride across the lagoon.

mikewj
22-10-2002, 00:08
We visited the Triceratops Encounter last December after walking past the 45-60 minute queues every year since it opened.

Deciding that the 5 minute wait was worth taking a chance on, we were very disappointed. It might impress very naive children, but the limited movement and tatty paintwork (at least in December 2001) was a real let down.

Thankfully, I'd not queued up for nearly an hour.

mike230652
25-08-2003, 05:10
My two kids ( 10 and 11 ) still sneer at the thought of Pterandon Flyers, they queued for this "ride" for 25 minutes in Nov. 2000.

Their opinion....." Boring ". A big wait for a 45 second tame ride.

To be fair it may be OK for kids under 6 years old, beyond that I think most would be very unimpressed.

mike

chrizzy100
25-08-2003, 06:06
quote:Originally posted by esprit

This is a whole area of the park devoted to dinosaurs. You enter through the famous gates to the film music (good photo opportunity).

There are three main rides and attractions.

The River Adventure is basically a giant log flume. You travel in a multi person boat through scenes of some quite realistic looking dinosaurs on your way to the flume and encounter a giant T-Rex with a sting in his tail! The flume is quite steep and you may get wet. Not too scary and OK for kids though.

Triceratops Encounter always attracts huge queues as it is slow moving. It is now fast passed. Basically you just walk past a very techonologically advanced model of a triceratops, which breathes hot breath on you and displays other bodily functions. It is very realistic but you are limited in the amount of time you can look and it is not worth a long wait,

The Pterandon flyers look really good though I have never been on them as you have to either be under 12 or accompanying an under 12 year old to ride. This is to cut down the queues which were enormous. Basically, you sit in a swing like seat suspended from the giant flying dinosaurs and fly across a tropical landscape. Looks good, find yourself an available kid, if yours are too old like mine.

There is also a central building housing dinosaur skeletons, interactive exhibits and a cafe. One of the interactive exhibits involves "sampling your DNA and telling you which sort of dinosaur you are most related to". Family all tried it and all came out at the same dino. The kids I could understand, but does that mean I am genetically related to my husband also. I don't think so!!

Julie Carty

If you get into the park early enough you can ride The Pterandon flyers without having a child with you..... if you ask the person loading the rides.....

Jurassic Joe
04-02-2004, 10:59
You can find the Dinosaurs here:

http://www.healthstones.com/dinosaurstore/dinosaurstore.html