PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat For A 5 Year Old

orlandochris
29-07-2008, 11:59
Sorry, I know this has been asked on the firum before, but I found some of the answers given to be quite conflicting and confusing.

So my question is this, will we need a child seat for a 5 year old?

Thanks in advance.

Wesser
29-07-2008, 14:48
Hi There,
It is the law to have a car seat for your 5 year old. We have a 6 year old and tend to dismantltle the seat and just take the booster seat out with us.

I wouldn't take a chance by hiring any car seats, as you really don't know what you are getting.
To be honest it has never been any bother to take the car seats out with you.

roger
29-07-2008, 15:30
The law says that children up to the age of 3 must have a child seat or booster seat.

Age 4 or 5 can either have a booster seat or just wear a regular seat belt, so the choice is yours.

sundowner
29-07-2008, 15:46
I would suggest you take whatever seat you use at home. That way the child is much more comfortable and will also be able to see all the sights as you drive around.

orlandochris
29-07-2008, 16:40
Thanks all. I think we will probably buy one out there, rather than risk one from the car hire company.

clairemca
03-08-2008, 22:43
Hi,

I am just back from Florida with my 5 year old and I thought you didn't need a car seat. We hired our car from Alamo and when we arrived they asked did we have a booster seat with us and we said no. So the guy behind the desk said he would get us one and he would upgrade our car and not charge us for the car seat. He then swiped our credit card and when we returned the car we got a receipt for the rental of the booster seat - it cost us $10.99 per day plus tax. It would have been far cheaper for us just to buy one out there. So my advice is don't get duped by the car company into hiring their seats.

Claire