PDA

View Full Version : Houlihans on I-Drive

NigelM
13-11-2003, 19:00
I am surprised that this place does not have any reviews. I have found it to serve super steaks and pasta dishes. It also benefits from coupons for discounts.

DMC
14-11-2003, 20:13
Hi Nigel

I have to say that we have eaten at Houlihans on many occasions and although it is just up the road from our Hotel ( the Rosen Plaza )it was only on our 8th trip did we actually visit for a meal.

I have to say that their Mushroom Starter is just about the best thing I have ever eaten in Orlando.

The Mushrooms are deep fried in bread crumbs and with a garlic and cream cheese filling served with a mustard mayo dip - now I thought that the mushrooms would be small like the one's in the UK but no this is America - they are the size of "tennis balls" - I now only have these as a main course - they are absolutely fantastic.

I also have to mention that on Christmas Day 2001, we went for a meal at Houlihan's as they were pretty much the only palce open after 8.00 p.m. - we ate in a near empty restaurant and there was no rush to eat and everyone was very friendly.

As we left, at around 10.30 pm, an Ammerican Family of 10 turned up and begged to be let in for something to eat, as they had travelled down from the north somewhere and they where starving.

Well they were welcomed with open arms, even at that time of night.

Also that very same evening, we arrived back at our hotel to find that it had been closed due to a fire, so we went back to Houlihans for a few nightcap's, we stayed with the staff until gone midnight and we were even allowed to use the phone free of charge to check if the Hotel had re-opened its doors - in the end we got back to the Hotel at 2.00 am - much the worse for wear :D

It was certainly a different way to spend Christmas Day and I have to say 10 out of 10 to Houlihan's for hospitality.

That said, whilst I have never had a bad meal, for whatever reason my wife has, she has never had a good meal there and even though she explains in gerat detail what she wants before hand, they never seem to get it right :( and before anyone say's that its a difficult order, a plain fillet steak with no herbs / salt / dressing or garlic of any kind with mashed potato and veg, is not difficult to get right !! but we always get a steak covered in gunk and it has to be sent back before it is right :(

Therefore we now go just for my Mushrooms and then move on up to the Olive Garden for the wife to then have something to eat.

But for the family I have to say that it is a great place to eat.

But all in all Houlihans is a great place to eat and well worth a visit.