PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure Island

esprit
15-03-2002, 17:49
This is the Disney night club complex. As clubs, they are rather sanitised and theme parky -family entertainment rather than for clubbing types. Children can go in with an adult on most occasions ( eg. not on New Years Eve) though anyone who looks under 30 will be asked to produce ID and only those over 21 will be given the wrist band that permits the buying and consumption of alcohol.

Pleasure Island is included on the 5 day hopper plus and longer pasees or you can buy a day ticket. There are often vouchers off Pleasure Island in the voucher books so look out for the ad ( 'Carpe pm, seize the night!!- cool, eh?)

The best attraction is the Adventurers Club themed inside and out like an old colonial mansion in the British Raj. At first sight, it just looks like a bar. However there are anti-rooms in which little plays are enacted, stuffed heads talk a la Disney etc etc. An old colonel in a pith helmet gets up and animates the crowd with his stories and interacts with the audience.The library doors then swing open and you are invited into the library where you are seated at tables ( they come round for drinks orders). A Disney cast will then enact one of several scenarios- a full presentation lasting 20 mins or more. There are several different ones in an evening.

The Comedy Warehouse is again beautifully themed inside, very Disney. It is basically an alternative comedy entourage who ad lib, along the lines of 'whose line is it anyway? ' Much too clever really to be off the cuff but very funny. Don't sit by a phone and if you do, don't answer it unless you want to become part of the show.

The other clubs are more traditional music and drinking type clubs, based on themes such as Jazz ( good musicians in this one), country and Western, Rock, The 1970s and so on. Some have live bands and some have a disco. One club, which features techno music and has a revolving stage, is more of a real club and that one is 21s only.

There are live bands on stages in the streets also, and of course it is New Years Eve every night in Pleasure Island, as they do the countdown and let off fireworks at 12 pm every night of the year ( weather permitting!!!)

It is a really nice place to spend an evening. Not for young children but older children will enjoy the Adventurers Club, Comedy Warehouse and New Years Fireworks. It is situated on an island in the lagoon in the middle of the Downtown Disney complex. It can be visited in the day also, just to look at the shops etc, but it has no-where near the atmosphere it has at night.

Julie Carty

fiona
15-03-2002, 21:51
We saw the ex-lead singer of Free live there a couple of years ago. (His name escapes me at the moment!) Great to see him and re-live my past.

We keep looking every time we are going out to see if anyone is on, and ALWAYS miss someone really good by a few days!

Fiona

esprit
15-03-2002, 23:14
They do have some quite big names on. Cyndi Lauper was on this New Years Eve and I think it was Duran Duran the year before.

Julie Carty

imported_n/a
14-09-2002, 23:11
Halloween at PL
Pleasure Island ............
Downtown Disney's Halloween Bash
Monster Mash, Twist and Dance
October
Pleasure Island will host a Halloween party for guests searching for sounds that rack, groove and go bump in the night. Visitors can compete for hauntingly huge prizes during the Halloween costume contest. The Pleasure Island party scene also includes: clubs, live bands, dancers and comedians nightly. The Halloween party is included with regular Pleasure Island admission. The event is from 7:00 PM to midnight on Oct. 11, 17, 20, 25, 27, 31 and Nov 1.

Edited by - janesansom on 14/09/2002 19:13:19

SunLover
13-04-2003, 04:26
Mid week in low season can sometimes be a little bleak, number wise, but definitely worth a trip at weekends. And yes, you'll be amazed at the bands that turn up. We've seen some great shows there.

Chris [8D]

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
13-04-2003, 07:21
We went to Downtown Disney earlier this evening with the children and Pleasure Island was starting to get very busy with lots of people arriving for the evening and a high school prom on the Fultons Crab sternwheeler. Not seen so many people at once since we arrived in Florida!

Matt
13-04-2003, 19:26
I love PI, I think it is really good, I would say better than CityWalk over at Universal.

Its 8Trax that I like. Taking me back to my 'Disco' dayz!!!!!!

Even just walking up and down the street in the evening with the bar carts and outdoor bands is good.

Be warned though!!! there are some undesirables there during busier periods!!

Matt