PDA

View Full Version : Drive from Key west to Orlando

Fairground
06-07-2008, 23:13
Hi all
This September we will be driving from Key West To Orlando. Has anyone done this?

Can any one offer any tips on the best route, would it be a good idea to try avoid Miami area and head for lake Okeehobee on Hway27?

Also what will the total driving needed? and are there any good places to take a break for lunch along the way?

Thanks Chris..

CERICROWLEY
06-07-2008, 23:44
Chris

We have done the key west drive twice now. and always avoid Miami, use the turnpike up to the 27 at lake Okeechobee takes about 9 hours in all from key west. we tend to have a short pit stop along the way, just at a gas station for the usual top up of coffee and toilet break.

Although one year we went up to the gulf from keywest and went along alligator alley and stayed overnight in Fort Myers before heading up towards the gulf

andrewandcarole
07-07-2008, 11:28
Hi Chris,

We have also done the Keys and took the Florida Turnpike on the way down and the H27 back. To be honest there was little difference in time - but the 27 was of course quieter.
There is a stretch of the 27 with no gas stations (or in fact anything!) for miles so don't run the tank too low!

We would do the 27 route again in preference. The stop offs are a bit more interesting than the service stations on the Turnpike. We stopped for a meal in one of the small towns we passed through.

jolliffee
07-07-2008, 12:31
Hi Chris.
Done this a few times now and we prefer the Florida Turnpike! The journey time is quicker with plenty of places to stop if needed.

Though to answer your question, I've never avoided the Miami route by heading inland; it gets busy once you come off the Keys but its quite straightforward, just make sure you know your route and keep the team looking at the signs for you.

Jill
07-07-2008, 20:56
Why not hire sat nav via this site then you will not need to worry about the traffic in Miami http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/sat-nav.aspx

Fairground
07-07-2008, 23:45
Hi All

Thank you all for the replies, great answers and information as usual

I do have a sat nav so I am not worried about getting lost I used google maps to get a rough idea of the route and according to google the distance is 379 miles on both routes but the Turnpike route is faster by an hour (6h 47m v 7h 46m). That is of course not taking traffic into account.

I love driving in Florida I just put the cruise control on put some country and western music on the radio
and take my time. There will be two drivers to share anyway, and we are not bothered about the extra time
it will take. I am looking for an interesting route that lets me see more of the "real" Florida.

Thanks Chris

Nina A
08-07-2008, 00:02
According to the 'Brit Guide to Orlando and Walt Disney World 2008' Orlando to Miami is 220 miles, Orlando to Key West is 375 miles.

We usually use the Turnpike. The drive is easy but long and very boring. A stop in Miami, South Beach for example, could make a welcome break especially if you have children with you. Although it doesn't look very far on the map from Key West to Miami it is very deceiving, especially as it's a very slow road.

Have a fantastic trip [msncool]

andrewmckay5
08-07-2008, 00:42
Chris,

To see more of the real Florida have you thought about a trip down the Gulf side to Fort Myers and then catching the shuttle boat to Key West? Personally I don't think you need a car on Key West.

andrew

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Fairground
Hi All

Thank you all for the replies, great answers and information as usual

I do have a sat nav so I am not worried about getting lost I used google maps to get a rough idea of the route and according to google the distance is 379 miles on both routes but the Turnpike route is faster by an hour (6h 47m v 7h 46m). That is of course not taking traffic into account.

I love driving in Florida I just put the cruise control on put some country and western music on the radio
and take my time. There will be two drivers to share anyway, and we are not bothered about the extra time
it will take. I am looking for an interesting route that lets me see more of the "real" Florida.

Thanks Chris
[/quote]

Jill
08-07-2008, 12:43
We have driven down the Keys a few times taking Andrew on dive trips and had now wondered about trying the Fort Myers ferry, more for something different to do. Do you have to book this far in advance and is there anywhere we could park in Fort Myers for an overnight trip?

Fairground
09-07-2008, 00:28
Thank you Andrew and Jill

Well theres a story. in September 2004 we wanted to do just that. We were stayng in orlando on International Drive and planned to stay in Fort Myers beach for a few days and get the key west ferry to Key west. Unfortunatly Hurricane Charley spoilt our plans. Our beach hotel was washed out so we stayed in Naples which was great.
When we were down there we went to key west ferrys ticket office and it was closed someone outside said it was closes in september for refit or something, I suppose it could have been due to the recent hurricane.

So this year we are staying 3 nights in Miami, 4 nights in Key West, and then 7 nights in Orlando in a villa.
Hence the drive from Key west to Orlando.

So this year We might actually get to Key west

Looking forward to September Thanks Chris

Neal Hammond
09-07-2008, 15:34
We did the drive last year and took the 27 down to Lake Wales then headed East on SR60 and picked up the Turnpike at the great sounding Yeehaw Junction.

Did the trip in under 8 hours with one short pit stop.

This route suited us as the villa we were in was on the 27 (High Grove).

Getting to Miami is no problem, it's the drive down the Keys that takes all the time!!