PDA

View Full Version : Spending Money

Debz-L-
05-07-2008, 18:52
Where do you exchange your sterling for dollars about? - where is the best exchange rate at the moment?

What ratio do you go for with regards to cash and travellers cheques?

Thank you, everyones help in answering all my questions has been a godsend:D

On average if we pay for themepark tickets before we go, how much would you recommend we take for 18 days? (Cleared crdit card in tow[msntongue])

shedenuk
05-07-2008, 20:02
Hi Debz somewhere on this site I got the following comparison site for dollars. [website link edited]

We take most of our money in travellers cheques a it is accepted like cash almost everywhere as long as you take US dollar cheques.

How much to take is up to you. It makes no differnce to me how muc I take with me, I always manage to spend it all. [laugh]

florida4sun
05-07-2008, 20:05
xe.com is usually good or travelex. Spending money all depends on what your plans are. For instance are you eating in cheap and cheerful places or upmarket. at the moment it is great value so pretty much any reasonable budget is good!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Debz-L-
Where do you exchange your sterling for dollars about? - where is the best exchange rate at the moment?

What ratio do you go for with regards to cash and travellers cheques?

Thank you, everyones help in answering all my questions has been a godsend:D

On average if we pay for themepark tickets before we go, how much would you recommend we take for 18 days? (Cleared crdit card in tow[msntongue])

[/quote]

mfairhurst
05-07-2008, 22:53
We get a good rate from M & S or Coop Travel ,But if you have a credit card as you say at the moment the exchange rate is good and pay all of the credit card of if you can or most of it then you will not incur interest when you get back .
Some of the resturants have kids eat free so they are a bargain for familys .
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Debz-L-
06-07-2008, 02:13
Maureen

Is it best to use my card for the things that I can then pay it when I get home then?

Thanks

Kazzie
06-07-2008, 02:24
Hi Debz,

Not all credit cards give a good exchange rate and may have charges on top. The best card is a Nationwide debit card,(not sure if their credit card is the same) if you have time before you go, it may be worth getting one and having your spending money in that account. Their exchange rates are excellent and they do not charge for using the ATM's.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Debz-L-
Maureen

Is it best to use my card for the things that I can then pay it when I get home then?

Thanks
[/quote]

mfairhurst
06-07-2008, 03:27
Debz have you not got a card that gives 0% for a few months thet gives you time to pay of if you cannot pay it all of at once as things you buy cheaply go up quite a lot if you have high interest rate .
We find this is good if you can go that way
Hope this helps
MAUREEN
www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

blott
06-07-2008, 05:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Kazzie
The best card is a Nationwide debit card,(not sure if their credit card is the same) if you have time before you go, it may be worth getting one and having your spending money in that account. Their exchange rates are excellent and they do not charge for using the ATM's.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Debz-L-
Maureen

Thanks[/quote][/quote]Yes, Nationwide credit card works just the same way as their debit card with no foreign currency transaction charges and a great rate of exchange. :)

S&VEdwards
06-07-2008, 12:35
We used some travellers cheques on our first visit but now just take cash with our Nationwide card.

Sandra

Robert5988
06-07-2008, 13:23
Without doubt Nationwide credit cards and debit cards are the cheapest and most convenient way - obviously only use your Debit card for ATMs.

However even if you don't have Nationwide cards, the commission(usually 2.75% say 5 cents)on most other cards is still a better exchange rate than most(all?) TCs and cash obtained in UK.

Most of us use debit/credit cards in UK, why not in the USA?

At todays date £1,000 exchanged would give. *rounded to nearest 1c

$1,980 with Nationwide

$1,930 with most other credit/debit cards

$1,910 for Post Office cash or TCs

SandraBulmer
06-07-2008, 14:07
We usually take enough cash for about $50 per day, then put the rest on our Nationwide credit card.

One tip, though, for credit card users. Try to ensure that not all your cards are 2 cards issued on the same account (ie husband has main card and wife is 2nd cardholder). We had a lucky escape when hubby lost his wallet at Florida Mall. It occurred to us that if we had had to cancel all his cards, then all of mine would have been cancelled too as I believe the credit card companies stop the account as opposed to just the card? Fortunately we had a happy outcome - as we were retracing our steps to look for the wallet, we stopped a security guard to report the loss. After asking us a few questions about the wallet and its contents, he produced it from his pocket complete with all contents! How lucky were we?!!

Sandra

florida4sun
06-07-2008, 14:15
You would only need to stop the lost card not the second card as they have different numbers[msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SandraBulmer
We usually take enough cash for about $50 per day, then put the rest on our Nationwide credit card.

One tip, though, for credit card users. Try to ensure that not all your cards are 2 cards issued on the same account (ie husband has main card and wife is 2nd cardholder). We had a lucky escape when hubby lost his wallet at Florida Mall. It occurred to us that if we had had to cancel all his cards, then all of mine would have been cancelled too as I believe the credit card companies stop the account as opposed to just the card? Fortunately we had a happy outcome - as we were retracing our steps to look for the wallet, we stopped a security guard to report the loss. After asking us a few questions about the wallet and its contents, he produced it from his pocket complete with all contents! How lucky were we?!!

Sandra
[/quote]

Kazzie
06-07-2008, 15:09
Thats not strictly true Martin, my hubby and I have joint credit cards and they both have the same number and the security code is also the same. I know it is not the same with all cards but when we first got these cards even our pin numbers were both the same.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
You would only need to stop the lost card not the second card as they have different numbers[msnsmile]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SandraBulmer

Sandra
[/quote]
[/quote]

shedenuk
06-07-2008, 18:12
Hi
When my husband was pick pocketed in Spain he had to cancel all his cards and that automatically cancelled my cards as well.
Both my credit card and bank cards were cancelled.

SandraBulmer
08-07-2008, 18:12
Martin

All our "joint" credit cards have exactly the same numbers on each person's card. The only ones which don't are our M&S cards which we each had separately before we met, and have never bothered to change. But of course, we never take those to Florida! Thank God for the honest citizen who handed in hubby's wallet or we really would have been up the creek without a paddle!

Sandra