PDA

View Full Version : christmas in florida

ukman
26-06-2008, 14:54
Would just like to hear from families travelling to florida over the christmas period and what are their plans, how will the celebrate xmas in the us.

We are travelling on the 23/12/08.

Thanks

ShirleyD
26-06-2008, 15:50
Hi wayne, not going this year, but when we spent Christmas there we had brunch at the villa followed by a Christmas day meal which we booked at Gaylord Palms and then wen to see the Ice exhibition. After that we went home to use the pool and chill out.

With you arriving on 23rd, I would get in the Christmas mode by going to Hollywood studios to see all the lights on Christmas eve, but do make sure you leave time for food shopping as many stores close early Christmas eve

sundowner
26-06-2008, 20:33
We have not managed to spend Christmas in our villa yet, but hope to do so next year.

It reminded me of our MC (who is American) tell us about some guests that had sent a shopping list to for their Christmas dinner (they were arriving on 24th so no time for food shopping). She had to keep calling British people to ask 'what are chipolatas' and 'what are 'oxo's' etc.

I cannot wait to get there for Christmas one year. The sales are good at the throughout the Christmas season and the atmosphere should be great.

becbecs
26-06-2008, 21:02
We have done Xmas in Florida but unfortuantley not this year [msncry]

Its a great time to go with lots to do.

We did do Xmas Day Dinner @ the Liberty Tree Tavern in MK but personally never again as the park was so busy. Busier than the normal by far.
If did Xmas again in Florida would have Xmas Dinner at the Villa

Visit the Osbourne Dancing Lights at MGM, there brilliant.

Have a great time

Tonish
26-06-2008, 23:55
We went last year at Christmas and will go again this year, it was a great time to visit (although it was cold last year).

Anyway, having a villa helps - bought a tree and decorations in Macy's and did the whole Christmas thing; bought turkey for Christmas dinner etc, Santa found us and kids had a great time. A pool to swim off the excesses of a Christmas dinner is a great help.

Mickey's Magic Christmas Party, with hot chocolate and cookies in the Magic Kingdom was great. Christmas shopping in Orlando is much better experience than at home.

This time, I think we'll do exactly the same thing (except maybe I can persuade Mrs T not to spend just so much in Tiffany's), and the children are really up for it - last year they were not happy about going away for Christmas, but really enjoyed it when they were there.

Campbell
28-06-2008, 15:23
I used to go Every Christmas, but haven't been for the past 2 years due to work.

We used to have a Champagne Buffet Lunch on Christmas Day at Renaissance Hotel, outside Sea World. (But they've stopped doing that now!)

Then go to Celebration to see the snow fall, which was an awesome experience on Christmas Day!

Then back to the villa to chill out, watch Xmassy Movies and have a swim!

Yeah, the sales just after Christmas are mega! Abercrombie and Hollister always have some bargains... Love it!

But MC is far too busy Christmas Day... We queued for 2 hours one year just to get on Splash Mountain, then left because it was packed! Althought the Christmas Day Parade was amazing, with it being so busy, it just didn't feel as Christmassy! lol!

Hope to go again this Christmas, (to Florida that is, not MC!) as it is such a better atmosphere to Christmas in the UK!

Mo Green
28-06-2008, 16:01
We will be staying in our villa on the Gulf Coast this Christmas. being in a mainly residential area by the time we arrive the local residents will have all decorated their homes. First thing is to decorate the outside of our villa although we can not compete with the local residents.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/2005115234734_Lights31.jpg

After a leisurely breakfast by the pool we will either put the turkey in and go for a walk along the beach or catch the local water taxi to Palm Island for Christmas lunch at Rum Bay restaurant.

Sometime over our stay we will probably go to Punta Gorda and take a boat trip to look at the Christmas lights of the villas and boats along the canals or go to see the Christmas lights at the Ford/Eddison houses in Fort Myers.

Mo

steph_goodrum
28-06-2008, 16:05
We went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Must ay we didnt find it was ld (have a 2 really cold frosty Christmasses n the pat.n NYE we were at Cbration watching the midnight fireworks in t shirts.We went to MK too as our daughter decided she wanted to get there in time for the opening parade which we had never seen (she had it on a Disney )video when she was younger and my great nieces like to watch it whenever they come to our house.

Christmas dinner it was decided wouldnt be timed or formal so we just ate when we felt like it, rather than prebook somewhere.

Christmas Eve we went to Gaylord Palms and saw Ice which was really enjoyable.

It's worked out that we are going back this year but are undecided about what we are going to do yet.

tfmay
01-07-2008, 21:25
we going out on the 17, no plans yet for cmas day so up for any ideas, only the 3 of us (us 2 plus our 1 year old sono park ideally) - was thinking of Iceat Gaylord Plams xmas eve and staying in xmas day but if someone can recommend something that is good but not too expensive than i;m all ears......

we usually go in lat octoer so have only ever seen the decorations startign to go up at the beginning of nov, can't wait....