PDA

View Full Version : Learner Golfer

Narrator
20-06-2008, 13:30
Hello everybody, loving this forum.
I wonder if anyone can help me, I am going away in SIX weeks (can't wait) and thought as a form of relaxation, in between visiting the parks, I would like to knock a few golf balls around. I haven't played a round for years but now and again I do go to the driving range and whack a few balls (well mainly fresh air really). What I would like to know is are there any driving ranges in Orlando or any courses that cater for novices. Also will you be able to hire a set of clubs.

ShirleyD
20-06-2008, 16:13
There are lots (I'm sure the golfers will be here soon to tell you where) and you can hire clubs at most places. My husband had some lessons on the driving range and a round at Southern Dunes. He had never even tried golf before this.

bmitch
20-06-2008, 16:33
Highlands Reserve have a driving range and just up the road is Polo Park which is a short course - 9 holes I think which is ideal for novices

MarkJan
21-06-2008, 02:01
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bmitch
Highlands Reserve have a driving range and just up the road is Polo Park which is a short course - 9 holes I think which is ideal for novices
[/quote]Spot on, both courses are great for learners.

Anthony Brook
21-06-2008, 22:41
I took my wife on the driving range at Southern Dunes (after one of the lovely breakfasts they do in the clubhouse) followed by a round. This was the first time (and last with me[msneek]) she had ever picked up a golf club. I let her play off the front tees and I think she mangaged about 20 points

MarkJan
22-06-2008, 04:14
20 points at Southern Dunes is good for a novice.

andy_d
22-06-2008, 14:19
I think most courses have a range in florida, I would check out the one nearest you for a bit of practice!

Narrator
22-06-2008, 19:20
Thanks everyone, looks like Highlands Range and Southern Dunes are the ones. I take it you can hire clubs there even for the dring range?

Anthony Brook
24-06-2008, 02:45
The club rental is $25 at Southern Dunes and I don't see any reason why you can't use them on the range. Shame you are not going out there a bit sooner as I have a spare set at the villa you could have borrowed.

The 20 points the wife got consisted of a 5 pointer on the 10th. Good drive, topped 2nd with loads of top spin to the edge of the green and then 1 putt[msnoo]

Got the kids having lessons with our local pro so hopefully they will be able to give me a game in a year or so.

Narrator
24-06-2008, 16:38
Thanks for the thought Anthony, I guess I can always ask the owner of the villa we are renting if they have a spare set...........didn't think of that. Out of interest, and I know I am showing my ignorance but how does the points system work. I thought it was all birdies pars and albatross'?

Another question, hopefully a bit more sensible, I quite like the idea of having a proper golfing lesson or two, do you think I will be able to arrange some golf lessons while I am there or should I try and book them now? Oh and are they expensive?

Thanks everyone

Anthony Brook
24-06-2008, 21:26
Its just a different way of scoring called Stableford.

Each hole on a golf course has a rating from 1-18 (hardest to easiest) which here in the UK we call the stroke index and in the States they call the hole handicap.

You get 1 point for a bogey, 2 for a par, 3 for a birdie, 4 for a eagle, 5 for a albatros and 6 for a condor (I bet a few of the golfers here didn't know that one)

Example 1. I play of a 7 handicap so on holes stroke index 7 or less I receive a shot e.g. If I get a 5 on a par 4 and the index of the hole is 1-7 I get a par. If the index of that hole was above 7 I would get a bogey ie 1 point.

Example 2. If you are a beginner with a handicap of 28 you get a shot on each hole and then 2 shots on holes 1-10. That would then give you your 28 shots 18+10=28. So if you scored a 5 on the same hole (index 7) you would get a 3 as you receive 2 shots start ie a birdie and 3 points.

The game favours higher handicappers who are likely to have big scores. If in stroke play (count up every shot) you had a 12 that would kill your score but in stableford you would just get 0 ponts on that hole the same as if you had a 8 on a par 4.

Took my brother for his first few games recently and it took him into his third round to understand it but it is very easy once you have played it a couple of times. Ithought it was hard explaining it to him on the course but never realised how difficult it was until I have just done this.

Golf lessons can be quite expensive 1 to 1. You can have a group lesson where the pro will get round all of you as you are hitting shots to put you right. That would be more affordable and I know they do them in Florida. In fact I think they do full days where you are taught then play a round and then finish with another group lesson. Not sure where I saw that?

Narrator
25-06-2008, 17:08
Brilliant explanation, looks like I will be able to sharpen up my mental arithmetic skills as I go along (though I can foresee plenty of zeros on my card).
Thanks for all the info, really looking forward now to giving it a go. The to do list is ever growing.

dbrook
25-06-2008, 18:47
Club hire at Highlands Reserve is $30.

The course website is [website edited]

Play super twilight hours(after 3.00 p.m. May to October) and it is $25 to play.