PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

SeanT
11-06-2008, 22:50
Looking for some advice here thanks.
My daughter is travelling to Orlando for a week in July, but she needs insurance that covers a pre-existing condition. We've tried a few companys (Direct Line, Ace, HAlifaz, Bank Of Scotland etc) but only Marks and Spencers have asked the relevent questions and seemed to know what they were talking about. Do you know of any other companys we could try?
Thanks again
Sean

florida4sun
11-06-2008, 22:58
If it is diabetes, i just got 4 weeks cover for two of us through the diabetes society for £60.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SeanT
Looking for some advice here thanks.
My daughter is travelling to Orlando for a week in July, but she needs insurance that covers a pre-existing condition. We've tried a few companys (Direct Line, Ace, HAlifaz, Bank Of Scotland etc) but only Marks and Spencers have asked the relevent questions and seemed to know what they were talking about. Do you know of any other companys we could try?
Thanks again
Sean
[/quote]

blott
11-06-2008, 22:59
Is there any national type of organisation that deals specifically with your daughter's pre-existing condition? If so, you may find that they have recommendations for travel insurance companies for her.

LiesaAnna
11-06-2008, 23:27
i use atlas paid an extra 63 quid for last year, just had an op 12 weeks prior to going (knee replacement) and high blood pressure/arthritis, thought that was brilliant!! (this was on top of the family insurance with them for 67.99) gonna try them again for this years trip.... must do soon.....

SeanT
12-06-2008, 13:44
We're going to try Atlas travel today, if they don't provide the cover we'll just go with M and S. There's not a UK based support group/website, but there was an American one that pointed to a few companys to try but they weren't really appropriate.
Thanks for all the replies.
Sean

steph_goodrum
12-06-2008, 13:56
Sean
To be honest without going into specifics it depends on what the pre existing condition is and other factors as to the best company tp recommend.
We use Direct Travel as they cover bothmy husbands asthma , excema etc and my daughters asthma, excema and hay fever.
Much depends on the severity, length of timem you have had it, any hospitalisations in the last 12 months as an example.

As far as the companys asking the right question you will usually find that if yuo try to get as far as buying the policy at some stage it will ask the relevant questions and once you have answered Yes to having a preexisting condition there is a phone number to call to be pre screened.

SeanT
12-06-2008, 14:09
Yer, they usually ask you to phone a department then try and track down the correct condition, M and S are the only ones who asked the correct/relevent questions so we know we can always go with them. Some of the prices quoted were crazy from £15 (even after telling them about the condition!!!!!) to £200+. M and S are around £120 for 1 person for 1 week, which we thinks fair.

steph_goodrum
12-06-2008, 14:16
Sean
Another tip is to make sure you receive written confirmation before you go incase they dont mention something (Direct Travel always provide letter to take as well which specifically states they are covered for the conditions) so there is no delay if they should need treatment.

Madabouttigger
12-06-2008, 23:58
Sean - It can be really expensive, I have a pre existing conditon and soon as you mention the States the price flys through the roof. I have used all clear travel and free spirit before. Fingers crossed I am going into a period of stability at the moment, if it continues to next March I hopefully will be able to get insurance a bit cheaper. Let us know how you go on.

Diane.

Graham49
13-06-2008, 00:03
Anyone tried Karma Insurance

SandraBulmer
13-06-2008, 02:53
Hi Sean

My elderly parents got a policy last year from Tesco which covered their pre-existing conditions. The policy was also an annual one, which most companies do not offer in those circumstances.

Sandra

Scorpio
20-07-2008, 02:07
Hi,
This may be too late for SeanT, but I would recommend Sladdin Insurance (on the internet) for travel insurance including pre-existing conditions.

appinlad
22-07-2008, 15:41
For those over 50 try SAGA, there great for covering medical stuff and reasonable.

Madabouttigger
22-07-2008, 23:08
If you go vist Martin Lewis - The Money Saving experts, web site, he has a section on travel insurance including pre existing conditions.