PDA

View Full Version : Prebooking seats on Virgin Flights

hyte1
07-11-2003, 21:44
We have just booked our honeymoon via Virgin for March 2004. Im sure a while back someone posted a telephone number you could ring to book your seats on the plane (To try getting a exit seat etc) Does anyone know the number as I cannot for the life of me find the post!

Thanks

blott
07-11-2003, 22:40
You can prebook seats on Virgin on 01293 450 150 up to 180 days before the departure date but they don't guarantee that the seating arrangements won't change at check in.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
08-11-2003, 00:58
Hi Blottie

You are a mine of information. I have just called tonight 9pm to reserve seats. unfortunatley on our outward journey they, Virgin, could not pre-allocate as they can only do so for 40% of the seats and they had already been snaffled. The remaining 60% get allocated on the day...early start for us then[msnsad]. However for our return trip we have got what we wanted although quite far back in the plane rows 52 and 53!! We have also reserved our veggie meals. when i called I spoke to an American guy so it is probable that the call is diverted to the USA. I'm just going to check the calendar as I don't do maths. Is it 180 days until the begining of June[msnscared].

Thanks agan Blott

Sarah

melfrank
08-11-2003, 01:33
You're a vegetarian, very good.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
08-11-2003, 01:40
The whole family is, including the children [msnsmile]

melfrank
08-11-2003, 01:49
How do you cope in the park's etc? There is not much selection.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
08-11-2003, 01:54
Pure experience of where to look and an excellent book from Amazon on vegetarians in Orlando and Disney. You would be surprised how well we are catered for, especially at Disney.

You can see the book at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0762727039/qid=1068242062//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/103-0912288-7338254?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

blott
08-11-2003, 02:37
quote:Is it 180 days until the begining of June. 180 days is 25.7 weeks (according to my calculator! ;)). You're welcome.

chrisj
08-11-2003, 02:38
We pre-book and its a good service, just remember the 180 day bit though

florida
08-11-2003, 14:21
We pre-booked our seats with Virgin on our last trip for the outbound and inbound flight. When we got to check in on both flights the pre-booked had already been allocated to other parties. I sometimes wonder why they even offer this service, when they inevitably change the seating on the flight to accommodate larger parties that want to be seated together. We then asked if they were any empty seats on the flight.Although our party were separated we did manage to get exit seats and my daughters had 3 seats between 2 of them, which is always good on the flight home as they have more room to stretch out and sleep. Pre-booking your seats is no guarantee that you will get allocated those seats when you check in, so it's still advisable to check in early.

paulm
12-11-2003, 11:46
Virgin Atlantic also allow you to "twilight check-in" where ALL people on the trip can go to Gatwick the night before to check-in their baggage and receive their seat allocation/boarding cards.

This is OK for people living close to the airport or staying in a local hotel the night before, who have not been able to pre-book seats in advance.

chrisj
12-11-2003, 14:32
We use the twilight checkin, means we dont have to rush around the M25 in the morning. More
relaxing start to the holiday. I agree about the above, a few times our pre-booked seats
have been allocated, they should stick to the service and once seats are allocated they
shouldnt be taken away

worldpeace
17-12-2003, 17:33
Any1 flown from Manchester? + do you know what time checkin is.
thanks in advance to any 1 whom can give us any more advise on virgin fights as we've never flown virgin.[:o)][?]

steph_goodrum
17-12-2003, 18:47
They won't pre-book exit seats though and I don't know if it still applies but they also brought in a charge of £50 for extra legroom seats.

I must admit though we've flown with Virgin many times and the only times we have not had our pre=allocated seats it has been because we've been upgraded - so no complaints from me.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
17-12-2003, 19:01
We've flown Virgin from Manchester - in fact we are doing so again tomorrow morning [msnsmile2].

We plan on checking in around 7:30am as there is always a HUGE queue.

quote:Originally posted by worldpeace

thanks in advance to any 1 whom can give us any more advise on virgin fights as we've never flown virgin.[:o)][?]

steph_goodrum
17-12-2003, 19:41
John
Do you use Virgin often, if you use them enough to become Silver Flying Club members, it's great as you can use the Premium economy checkin even if you are travelling economy and the queue is usually much shorter, hot usually more than 1 or 2 people we've found.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
17-12-2003, 20:12
Good point Steph - we will probably be using them quite often from now on as the flight times are very handy for us [msnsmile]

DaveL
17-12-2003, 21:19
Most airlines will not book the exit row on the phone because they need to ensure that you will not block it should the need arise. The exit rows are always allocated on the day of the flight at the check in desk where they can see if your fit enough to open the door and/or not block it. This is why they will not normally let children sit there.

Regards Dave

chrisj
18-12-2003, 02:14
they also try and charge you extra for those seats

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
18-12-2003, 12:48
Just checked in for our flight and they were not allowing more than one window seat per family - kind of defeats the purpose of checking in early as it has always been on a first come first served basis every time I have been before.

They said it was to please everyone but from what I can see they just suceeded in splitting up every family group there was which did not please anyone [msneek]

chrisj
18-12-2003, 13:13
As there is 5 of us we ask for 4 seats together on the middle and one Isle seat either
side. Never really interested in a window seat

steph_goodrum
18-12-2003, 14:10
I must admit we don't like the centre seats as they always seem more cramped. With 3 of us we find having 3 by the window seems to work better as we don't have to worry about other people falling over our bag if we put it on the floor so we don't have to get up to get anything out of the overhead lockers.

Glad to see you are keeping up with everything at the airport John, have a great trip.

Kissyme
18-12-2003, 15:05
We have always pre-booked a two and a three and always got it, Keith and I have the two and the boys the three only time we manage to sit together with out any fighting or arguing :D never booked seats on the way back also never had a prob,Have always found Virgin very helpful and if you give them a ring they will tell you the date you can pre-book your seats. John, Sarah & family hope you are having a great time out there and that Santa knows where you are

20-02-2004, 02:12
quote:Originally posted by worldpeace

Hi, we always fly Virgin from Manchester and we also checkin around 7.30, we always pre book our seats and have never had a problem with the seats.
This is the first year the flights have continued through the winter months, they used to stop from November-March - great for Florida addicts like us!

20-02-2004, 02:20
quote:Originally posted by DaveL

Most airlines will not book the exit row on the phone because they need to ensure that you will not block it should the need arise. The exit rows are always allocated on the day of the flight at the check in desk where they can see if your fit enough to open the door and/or not block it. This is why they will not normally let children sit there.

Regards Dave

You are correct Dave, this is a Civil Aviation Authority Ruling, only ABLE BODIED ADULTS can sit in the Emergency Exit Seat Rows.

Regards,

Julie
Ex BA Stewardess

Ray&Sarah
20-02-2004, 02:42
We usually fly Virgin and have flown from Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester. Never had any complaints about the flights yet. We usually pre-book our seats and have only once had the arrangement altered. We have been collecting the air miles so we can get a free up-grade to premium, as we have flown premium in the past and found it to be much more comfortable. The check-in is so much easier as well, there never seems to be a queue. Ray travels alot for work so is adding up the miles all the time, either with Virgin or one of their point partners.

chrisj
20-02-2004, 03:44
I forgot to pre-book our seats for July - oops but the man on the phone said he would
put a note on the computer to get us all seated together

kevinprewett
20-02-2004, 10:58
quote:Originally posted by florida

We pre-booked our seats with Virgin on our last trip for the outbound and inbound flight. When we got to check in on both flights the pre-booked had already been allocated to other parties. I sometimes wonder why they even offer this service, when they inevitably change the seating on the flight to accommodate larger parties that want to be seated together. We then asked if they were any empty seats on the flight.Although our party were separated we did manage to get exit seats and my daughters had 3 seats between 2 of them, which is always good on the flight home as they have more room to stretch out and sleep. Pre-booking your seats is no guarantee that you will get allocated those seats when you check in, so it's still advisable to check in early.

Florida,
I have flown 4 times with virgin & 3 out of 4 times they have 'lost' the seat allocation by the time we reached check=in! With Delta, AA, Continental,KLM & Lufthansa- pre-booked seats always tgere.[msncool]

Nigel W
20-02-2004, 12:10
They did that to us last year, as I have a infant I was assured we would have a skycot and we would be all together. When we got their mom was one side of the aisle with junior while the rest of us were sat elsewhere. She found it really hard as we were not with her. (Then my other child split his head open on the tele that comes out of the arm of the chair and he still has the scar to prove it.

kevinprewett
20-02-2004, 12:45
quote:Originally posted by chrisj

I forgot to pre-book our seats for July - oops but the man on the phone said he would
put a note on the computer to get us all seated together

Chris,
check!! - they've 'put 'notes on the computer' for me in the past- they mean absolutely nothing! Give them a ring and get specific seat numbers,but this guarantees nothing either especially with Virgin(my experience only!)[msnwink]

chrisj
20-02-2004, 13:05
Kevin

Your right I will give them a call later and make sure there is a note on their system. Mind
you like above we have pre-booked before and been moved when we booked in.

kevinprewett
20-02-2004, 13:58
Yes I know!
I must admit we've been flying to Florida since 1979 & I'm not a great Virgin lover (sorry that souds awful but you know what I mean!)
It's great with kids but we don't worry about that now the're older. We don't mind not flying direct anymore and get some really good deals and excellent service with different airlines during summer holiday periods
[msncool][msncool][msncool][msncool]

chrisj
20-02-2004, 14:34
As our kids are still youngish we do the direct flights, shame though cos you can get
some real cheap indirect flights.

kevinprewett
20-02-2004, 18:30

As our kids are still youngish we do the direct flights, shame though cos you can get

Here's a good example - height of season 31st July LHR- ORD (chicago) O'Hare Air India schedule £260 inc. taxes![msncool][msncool][msncool]

chrisj
21-02-2004, 00:59
thats what I mean, we pay a small fortune per ticket which eats into the spending money

kevinprewett
21-02-2004, 12:23
We stay overnight in chicago at the ramada(on airport with free 24hrs.shuttle) & take the early morning AA fkight 0650hrs straight into MCO arriving around 1030hrs. & get a full day (refreshed) in orlando[msnwink]

Ray&Sarah
21-02-2004, 13:59
We are considering taking an indirect flight to Orlando next time we go, our boys are older now so not a problem. What do you think are the best routes for this? We have always flown virgin in the past.

kevinprewett
21-02-2004, 14:22
quote:Originally posted by hayter

We are considering taking an indirect flight to Orlando next time we go, our boys are older now so not a problem. What do you think are the best routes for this? We have always flown virgin in the past.

Where do you want to fly from?[msnsmile2]

Ray&Sarah
21-02-2004, 16:04
Either one of the London airports, Manchester or our nearest is Birmingham.

23-02-2004, 01:53
quote:Originally posted by kevinprewett

Here's a good example - height of season 31st July LHR- ORD (chicago) O'Hare Air India schedule £260 inc. taxes![msncool][msncool][msncool]

Hi Kevin, the question to ask is why is it so cheap?

Julie R
Ex BA Stewardess
Now use Virgin from Manchester

steph_goodrum
23-02-2004, 03:06
"Hi Kevin, the question to ask is why is it so cheap?"

It's not particularly cheap though Julie, we paid £270 each inc of tax to fly Virgin on 13th April - 22nd this year so for £10 more we will be flying direct, getting our Freeway miles and can use the twilight and Downtown Disney checkins so easily worth it in our opinion.

kevinprewett
23-02-2004, 10:20
quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

It's not particularly cheap though Julie, we paid £270 each inc of tax to fly Virgin on 13th April - 22nd this year so for £10 more we will be flying direct, getting our Freeway miles and can use the twilight and Downtown Disney checkins so easily worth it in our opinion.

Steph,
I don't think you'll get a flight with Virgin on my dates for £270 tho'[?]

steph_goodrum
23-02-2004, 12:38
It's still school holiday time Kevin which is all we wanted, so our daughter can get a few days break before the A level exams. Our Sept 1st flights are £375 + tax to go out to New York and back from Orlando so we are quite happy that is a reasonable price as well. (Especially as it means we'll then have enough miles for another free trip (went to California last summer on a reward flight - and we got bumped into Upper Class from economy as we agreed to get a flight 3 hrs later- not bad for £43 tax!). After this year we should be able to take advantage of a bit more flexibility as well.
If you can travel a day or so later than the beginning of the school hols (exceptt summer) you can usually get decent prices.

24-02-2004, 00:20
quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum

It is cheap for 31 July which is high season, you can more than double the price for travelling July/August. I have just checked online and the cheapest I could find (I only had a quick look) was £628 with US Airways via Charlotte.

We go every year end July begining of August and always pay a premium for travelling then. April is much is always cheaper.

I would rather pay £600+ and travel Virgin than pay less and travel Air India, but then I am ex airline crew and insider knowledge is a wonderful thing!

steph_goodrum
24-02-2004, 01:23
Easter is usually as expensive as summer but by going a day or so later the prices come down but because the spread of the summer holidays is so much longer it doesn't come down then until the end of August. That'a why we make sure we save our free flights for summer holidays. We too would rather travel with Virgin so we try to be as flexible as possible in our bookings.

chrisj
24-02-2004, 01:35
After this coming trip we have enough Air miles for a free european return flight :D:D

kevinprewett
24-02-2004, 09:51
I've used air india on 4 occasions and never had a bad experience yet,always plaesant,polite & helpful - personally I would rather spend the extra £300 on my holiday whilst in Orlando!![msncool][msncool]

!

steph_goodrum
24-02-2004, 13:04
"After this coming trip we have enough Air miles for a free european return flight "

We're waiting to see how many miles Virgin will want for Sydney when they start flying there later in the year. They used to do a round the world ticket for 100,000 miles which included 5 stopoveers, but the miles used to expire so we knew we wouldn't get that many but now they don't expire till 3 years after last use so we may save them up for a trip to Ozz.

chrisj
24-02-2004, 14:12
That sounds great

Its wifey's 40th next year so if we can get a freebie to Europe for a long
weekend she might love me again ;);)

steph_goodrum
24-02-2004, 16:58
"Its wifey's 40th next year so if we can get a freebie to Europe for a long
weekend she might love me again "
Make it a week and you never know what might happen - shell probably be really pleased to get a holiday that doesn't involve Home Depot or Lowes

How many is it for Europe Chris? It's 40,000 for States.

chrisj
24-02-2004, 17:04
Steph

I have all the info back at work, I will pop in later and have a look and let you knwo, its
not as much as 40,000, im sure its quite low

chrisj
24-02-2004, 17:43
Steph

From what was read out by young son, its 12,500 for economy to Europe Area 1 ?/ and
20,000 for Economy rest of Europe round trips

Not sure what Area 1 means

steph_goodrum
24-02-2004, 19:04
"Not sure what Area 1 means "

As long as it isn't Area 51 you should be ok.

:D:D:D

chrisj
24-02-2004, 19:19
:D:D:D

Im out tonight up in london, but I will check the paperwork and let you
know exactly what it says

DMC
24-02-2004, 19:58
It's amazing how these air miles soon add up.

We have recently used 30,000 miles each to upgrade to Premium Ecconomy for our return trip in May and are flying PE to New York and Orlando in Septmeber, which should make the return flights a little more bearable :)

We also use a Virgin Credit Card, which gives 1 air mile for every £1.00 spent and with the rate my wife spends we are well on the way to our next 30,000 miles [:o)]

Also depending on how often you fly you get "Tier Points" which allows you to get upgraded from Red Membership to Silver, which in turn allows you to check -in at the Premium Ecconomy Desk, even if you are travelling Ecconomy - thus you avoid the lines at check-in :D

I still have a someway to go to get to a Gold Membership but here's hoping.:D

steph_goodrum
24-02-2004, 23:27
Don't you find it a bit frustrating though DMC that most of the ones on Gold membership are those who get their tickets paid for by their companies rather than those of us paying out of our household income.
Keeping the Siler membership is a bit tricky as you have to have 10 points in a year and you get 2 for each trip in economy so only get 8 for 2 trips so you have to work the 3rd trip in jsut before the end of your flying year, and if you use a reward flight you don't get points.
We haven't used our miles to upgrade but we have been lucky on each of our last 4 trips out we have had free upgrades (once to Upper ) 3 times to premium, and once on the way home, so it seems a waste to use 30,000 on an upgrade. When do you go to NY and Orlando, we're going 1st to NY and 4th Orlando.

25-02-2004, 01:17
quote:Originally posted by kevinprewett

I've used air india on 4 occasions and never had a bad experience yet,always plaesant,polite & helpful - personally I would rather spend the extra £300 on my holiday whilst in Orlando!![msncool][msncool]

!

That's great, good to hear all went well! Freedom of choice and all that.

After 20 years in the airline industry I am hypersensitive about the airlines I fly with.

Cost, although very important, is secondary.

Happy flying!:)