PDA

View Full Version : Club Rental

neilbrunton
30-05-2008, 20:03
We are out for 3 weeks in July and myself and my son are looking to play a few rounds of golf at a variety of courses. Instead of renting clubs for each game does anyone know if it is possible to rent a couple of sets of clubs for a 2 week period. Do any of the golf shops/courses do this.

Thanks

Neil

edlea
30-05-2008, 20:38
I'm sure you can rent over a period of three weeks, especially if you explain your situation and ask a friendly pro if he'll do you a deal. I would imagine you'd be looking in the region of around $80 - $100 per set, per week.

Failing that, why not pop into Walmart where you can currently buy a full set (inc bag) of Wilsons for the mighty sum of $174 - that's about £90 and a junior set (depends how old your son is) for even less.

At the end of the holiday you could either : bring them home; leave them somewhere if you intend to return; or sell them on to a FL pro shop which would probably give you £20 or so for them.

Even cheaper of course, is to take your own. We put THREE reduced sets (say 5 irons, a couple of woods plus putter)in lightweight pencil bags, throw them into one golf travel bag, make sure it weighs under the maximum for a piece of luggage and bob's yer uncle. Of course it counts as one of your luggage items but if three or four are travelling, it's not much of a problem.

It depends what you mean by "a few rounds" and whether you are serious golfers. If it's only one round a week for three weeks, I could put up with rented clubs ; if it's going to be more like six rounds, I'd rather play with my own stuff.

Hope this helps your thinking and planning.

Enjoy.

neilbrunton
30-05-2008, 20:54
Thanks for your advice. I have been looking at taking our own but need to weigh them first to check that I can get 2 sets in at under 25kg. There are 5 of us travelling so overall we have enough allowance. I am also 6ft 5 and have slightly extended clubs so would like to take my own if possible. I like the idea of leaving our large bulky bags behind and using slim pencil bags as we will not be carrying the clubs at all as we would be using a buggy.

Neil

florida4sun
30-05-2008, 21:58
don't most clubs do free rental, or very cheap atleast. They always used to or has it changed?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by neilbrunton
We are out for 3 weeks in July and myself and my son are looking to play a few rounds of golf at a variety of courses. Instead of renting clubs for each game does anyone know if it is possible to rent a couple of sets of clubs for a 2 week period. Do any of the golf shops/courses do this.

Thanks

Neil
[/quote]

MarkJan
31-05-2008, 03:11
If you fly with Virgin, they will let you take a golf travel bag as a suitcase within your allowance. Take your own clubs. I haven't seen free use of clubs at courses, cost can be $30-60 depending where you play.

Genie
01-06-2008, 12:08
Polo park charge $6 to rent a set of clubs for the round.

andy_d
02-06-2008, 01:15
Most of the rental clubs at courses are pretty dodgy with worn grips etc. I would always advise taking your own if you want to play seriously.

MarkJan
02-06-2008, 02:47
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Genie
Polo park charge $6 to rent a set of clubs for the round.[/quote]Better courses generally have better clubs for rental and the quality is reflected in the quality. Worth knowing though.

alastair
03-06-2008, 19:08
I played Falcon's Fire 2 weeks ago and the rental clubs were $50, but with a coupon there was $25 off, so I got the rental set for $25. The choice of clubs I had were:- Callaway, Titliest, Taylor Made, Mizuno, Cleveland or Ping G10's.

neilbrunton
03-06-2008, 20:25
Alastair

Where did you get the coupon for the half price club rental from. Falcon's fire is one of the courses I have driven past and would like to play but the club rental price has put me off. But if you can get it for $25 a set then It is back on my list.

Neil