PDA

View Full Version : Woman bringing her nephew...............

Frosty
30-05-2008, 19:38
Hi Everyone,

My sister in law is coming over with her nephew (other sisters kiddy).

Does anyone forsee any problems with a woman bringing a child with a different name etc into the country.

I'm refering to immigration and customs etc, with regard to possible child abduction issue's etc.

Anyone done anything along similar lines, any prob's, any advice???

Thanks in advance.

steph_goodrum
30-05-2008, 21:01
It's always advisable that your sister in law has a letter from the boys mother giving permission
a) for him to be travelling with her
and b) that she is acting "in loco parentis" and is fully authorised to permit any necessary medical treatment that may arise during the trip.
A copy of his mothers passport information page together with the letter should be enough to satisfy immigration if they ask.

She should also make sure she has full detais of his travel insurance in case of any emergency that may arise and that her nephews insurance policy covers him if not travelling with his parents.
Some family annual policies only cover the children if they are with the policy holder.

DaveL
30-05-2008, 21:43
You may need to have the letter notarised as anyone can produce a document saying they are authorised to do something. I know that this was the case some years ago when we took a friend of my son.

Dave

ravtino
30-05-2008, 22:13
We did as Steph said, when my neice went with us, no problems with imigration, this has been covered before as this was where I got my advice from[msnsmile2]

Frosty
30-05-2008, 23:52
thanks everyone for the advice, i will pass on the info.

steph_goodrum
31-05-2008, 02:03
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DaveL
You may need to have the letter notarised as anyone can produce a document saying they are authorised to do something. I know that this was the case some years ago when we took a friend of my son.

Dave

[/quote]
Thats why it is a good idea to have a copy of the mothers passport page as well so they have something against which to check the signature. Most UK citizrns would not have any idea about getting it notarised as it's not a concept we generally have much in the UK.

DaveL
31-05-2008, 03:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by steph_goodrum
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DaveL

Dave[/quote]That's why it is a good idea to have a copy of the mothers passport page as well so they have something against which to check the signature. Most UK citizens would not have any idea about getting it notarised as it's not a concept we generally have much in the UK.[/quote]Some U.S. hospitals can be very difficult when it comes to patient consent because of their liability. Immigration will normally be OK with the photocopy of the passport but it's not guaranteed.

I know most people in the UK do not know about notarised documents and it is much harder to get done here than in the U.S. However most towns have at least one solicitor who is also a notary.

The whole point of the notary is that they are certifying that the person giving consent was present and they have checked their ID.

Hopefully you will never need to use the document but if the child is injured then the last thing you need is a delay in treating them.

Dave

zerotone
01-06-2008, 21:53
Having only one child we take a friend of our sons with us to our villa once a year. We get the parents to have an authorisation form witnessed and signed by a notary solicitor and take this with us. We also arrange seperate travel insurance for him.

Jane

owen3
02-06-2008, 20:43
We bought my nephew with us on friday had a letter from his mum. Nobody asked to see it at customs.
Barbara

madmumof2
02-06-2008, 23:46
Hi, Slightly off topic but will I need to do anything when taking my children?

They both have my ex's last name not mine. Would that be an issue or will I need to take their birth certificates or something to prove I'm their mum?

shaunboxer
03-07-2008, 16:44
OMG I must say thanks in advance for finding this thread as we are taking one of my sons friends with us this time (aged 14)and we will now make arrangements to get some authorisation letter from his parents. My other son will also be taking his girlfriend with him who is 16. Will she be Ok in American law to be responsible for he own well being including immigration and any medical treatment or will the same apply to her as it will my sons 14 year old friend? Your advice would be appreciated

Frosty
03-07-2008, 16:48
Update,

My Nephew came and went without any questions/problems.

Nobody in customs or immigration asked anything and no problem at check in either.

Best to be safe though!

blott
03-07-2008, 18:59
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by shaunboxer
OMG I must say thanks in advance for finding this thread as we are taking one of my sons friends with us this time (aged 14)and we will now make arrangements to get some authorisation letter from his parents. My other son will also be taking his girlfriend with him who is 16. Will she be Ok in American law to be responsible for he own well being including immigration and any medical treatment or will the same apply to her as it will my sons 14 year old friend? Your advice would be appreciated[/quote]The legal age of consent for medical treatment, etc is 18 in Florida, unlike the UK where it's 16. So you would need to arrange for the same documentation for your son's girlfriend.

Hopefully you won't need either whilst you're in Florida but it's better to be safe than sorry, even more particularly where other peoples' kids are concerned.

shaunboxer
03-07-2008, 20:14
You are right Blott thanks for all the advice. I can't believe looking back at this we never considered these issues, then again it is the first time we have ever taken anyone else's children on holiday. I am sure glad I learnt my lesson on this forum and not when we are in Florida[beer]

lewisp
04-07-2008, 13:35
We take our kids boyfriends, girlfriends with us nearly everytime they come with us and so far so good but once we had a very nasty ear infection develop with my sons friend and when we took him to a doctor they wouldnt treat him with just the letter we had from his mum (he was 17 at the time). We had to get his mum to ring them and they were happy once they had spoken to her but that said, how they could tell it was his mum they spoke to I dont know!!
Dont take any chances folks and cover yourselves with a notarised letter and copy passport. A notary should only charge around £25 max for notarising an authority. Gill

orlandochris
14-08-2008, 12:05
Sorry for asking a stupid question, but could the family doctor, or a police officer who is friends with the family act as a notary?

blott
14-08-2008, 12:24
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandochris
Sorry for asking a stupid question, but could the family doctor, or a police officer who is friends with the family act as a notary?[/quote]In the UK, a notary is only ever a solicitor who is registered with the Notary Society - they have a special stamp confirming their status which they put on documentation they have signed and for which US officials will be looking. So the quick answer is no as the people you mention aren't notaries and therefore their signatures wouldn't be valid.

orlandochris
14-08-2008, 12:28
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by orlandochris
Sorry for asking a stupid question, but could the family doctor, or a police officer who is friends with the family act as a notary?[/quote]In the UK, a notary is only ever a solicitor who is registered with the Notary Society - they have a special stamp confirming their status which they put on documentation they have signed and for which US officials will be looking. So the quick answer is no as the people you mention aren't notaries and therefore their signatures wouldn't be valid.
[/quote]

Thanks for the quick response - that's really helpful.[msnsmile]

steph_goodrum
14-08-2008, 16:01
I've been looking at the Notary requirements (they are actually appointed by thee Archbishop of Canterbury) recently and you dont actually have to be a Solicitor or Barrister to qualify one of the criteria is that you must hold a degree but not necessarily Law. If you havent studied any of the legal requirements then you do a 2 year course and if you meet the legal ones just do the 2nd year, apparently,

Who is a Notary?

A Notary is a qualified lawyer – a member of the third and oldest branch of the legal profession in the United Kingdom. He is appointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury and is subject to regulation by the Court of Faculties. The rules which affect Notaries are very similar to the rules which affect Solicitors. They must be fully insured and maintain fidelity cover for the protection of their clients and the public. They must keep clients’ money separately from their own and comply with stringent practice rules and rules relating to conduct and discipline. Notaries have to renew their practising certificates every year and can only do so if they have complied with the rules.

Qualification as a Notary

The Notaries Society is the representative and membership organisation for the profession of notaries public and although it assists in the qualification process it is not the body that admits or has control over the appointment of new notaries. In addition to its involvement in the training of new candidates to the profession the Society organises seminars and training days for its members which are open to candidates on a voluntary basis.

Qualification as a notary is regulated by the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury under the direction of the Master of the Faculties. Details of the Faculty Office and all the Rules governing the qualification and admission of Notaries can be found at their website www.facultyoffice.org.uk. The main regulations are contained in the Notaries (Qualification) Rules 1998.

These notes do not apply to Notaries already qualified in the European Union or the European Free Trade Area, although the Master may require candidates from Europe to comply with all or part of the requirements of the Rules.

The Notaries (Qualification) Rules 1998

The main points to consider in the Notaries (Qualification) Rules 1998 before deciding whether to qualify as a notary are as follows. Candidates should check ALL the various requirements, not just those summarised below, before embarking on the qualification process.

Under Part II: General Provisions as to Admission - Rule 3 – Qualification for Admission as a notary public.

No person shall be admitted as a notary public to practise in England and Wales unless such person:

3.1 Is at least 21 years of age and has satisfied the requirements of these rules,
3.2 Has taken the oath of allegiance and the oath required by section 7 of the Public Notaries Act 1843, and
3.3 Is, except where such application is made under rule 4 (ecclesiastical notaries) or Rule 9 (European Economic Area notaries) either a solicitor of the Supreme Court, or a barrister at law, or holds a degree.

Under Schedule 2 – Prescribed Subjects

Constitutional/Public Law
The Law of Property
The Law of Contract
The Law of the European Union
Roman Law or Civil Law
Equity and the Law of Trusts
Conflict of Law
Conveyancing
Business Law and Practice
Wills Probate and Administration
Notarial Practice (including Bills of Exchange)

Applicants who have the following qualifications will normally be exempt from further study of most of the above subjects except Roman/Civil Law, Conflicts of Law and Notarial Practice on the basis that they have already studied them to an acceptable standard.

Solicitors and barristers who have qualified within the last 5 years

Holders of a law degree from an English University awarded within the last 5 years

Those who have successfully completed a CPE or LPC course within the last 5 years

Solicitors and barristers who qualified more than 5 years ago must be employed in gen

blott
14-08-2008, 16:30
Indeed Steph but Throughout England and Wales, all, save about 70 notaries, are also qualified as solicitors. There are 1000 of them, not counting another 30 who are Scrivener Notariess in the London area, so 70 is a very small minority and almost negligible country wide.

thornton
14-08-2008, 17:43
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lewisp

Dont take any chances folks and cover yourselves with a notarised letter and copy passport. A notary should only charge around £25 max for notarising an authority. Gill
[/quote]

Gill, I just wish we could find a Notary who only charges £25. Brian as President of the HOA has to get two signatures notarised here in the UK and the lowest charge is £75 and the highest was £150. In the US the bank do it for nought.

steph_goodrum
14-08-2008, 18:19
I was just curious as I said Blott if you could only become a Notary if you were a solicitor. The cost is also many times higher than the US which is why there are probably so many more over there and they dont charge as much (if at all ) for their services.

Jill
Often its the luck of the drawer where you are in the country as to how many there arelocally and this will be reflected in their charges.

Pookie
14-08-2008, 20:25
We took a friend of my sons with us 3 years ago & had our knockles wrapped by immigration for not having a letter from the parents.
Chris was 16 at the time.

We also had to take him to the emergency room for an ear infection and we too had to call his Mum in England from the hospital to get her verbal consent to treatment.

He did have his own insurance for the trip.

Lynne