PDA

View Full Version : higher maths today

glasgowmary
21-05-2008, 02:29
well it was the scottish higher today , it is my sons best subject and he said it was so hard[msnsad][msnsad] spent the night telling him life is not over. so good luck to all of your children this exam period...wish them all well

ncmurray
21-05-2008, 03:46
Hi,

My eldest daughter is doing her GCSE's at the moment, and the most I can get from her it "Fine"!! It is SO frustrating talking to a teenager!

She has been so laid back about it all...... I swear I have been more uptight about it than she has!!!

I just hope that she gets what she needs in order to get into A Level college. I always believed that kids need to find their own level, and that they shouldn't be pushed, but now, when I see her laid back attitude.....[msnscared]

August will tell, and best of luck to all doing their exams at this time.... and their parents[stupid1]

Nuala

Sally D
21-05-2008, 10:53
Lots of tension in our house at the moment, one doing A levels, one doing GCSE's and one just finished SATS.

English Lit GCSE yesterday and biology today.

All I ask of them is that they do their best.

Good luck to everyone[msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
21-05-2008, 11:10
hope all the young peeps doing any exams do well, good luck to them all xxx

CERICROWLEY
21-05-2008, 11:55
Sally

Same here, English yesterday, and after she was talking to the other kids, she said it seems everyone had some sort of different answers, but thats english for you, I told her as long as she explained how she got her answers, the marks will count. Biology this afternoon. she has gone into school this morning as they have revision classes as well.

berrysmiles
21-05-2008, 12:08
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ncmurray
Hi,

My eldest daughter is doing her GCSE's at the moment, and the most I can get from her it "Fine"!! It is SO frustrating talking to a teenager!

She has been so laid back about it all...... I swear I have been more uptight about it than she has!!!

I just hope that she gets what she needs in order to get into A Level college. I always believed that kids need to find their own level, and that they shouldn't be pushed, but now, when I see her laid back attitude.....[msnscared]

August will tell, and best of luck to all doing their exams at this time.... and their parents[stupid1]

Nuala
[/quote]

Hi Nuala

My son is also so doing his GCSE's and I quite understand how you feel. If it wasn't for me yellig 'back to your books' I don't think anyone - even him! - would know he was doing exams at the moment. And then after every exam all I get is OK. And if its any consolation, I've tried to push to keep him at thingsbut its like banging your head off a brick wall. We have had a long year, 11 plus in November, then mocks, then 11plus results,thank goodness an A, now GCSEs, next is school allocation letter next weekend. Roll on 28th June and Orlando.
I think we need a forum to support parent of exam pupils!!![msnwink]

Any way, Rant over. Good luck to everyone , both teenagers and parents, people have survived this before

Judy

caroline
21-05-2008, 12:27
Our youngest is doing his AS's at the moment - I've tried blackmail. bribery, threats, promises, I even considered locking him in his room with only his books for company[msnwink] - he's doing some revision but it scares me that it's not enough[msnscared] He had 2 maths exams last week and he has another on Friday, then he has 8 exams all crammed together in 3 consecutive days[xx(] I just wish they'd space them out a little.

I have found that a glass of wine helps (me not him[msnwink])

ahagan
21-05-2008, 13:27
My oldest is doing his A Levels (A2) at the moment. Same as reported above. All I get after a paper is 'okay'. I asked what okay meant and I got the same answer so I gave up.

Caroline, Like you I have tried bribe, incentives, threats and I still get a very laid back attitude. The only hope I have is that he did the same thing at GCSE's and did very well but A Levels are different. Thanks for the tip - I need a glass of wine [msnwink][party2]

Sally D
21-05-2008, 13:54
[msnmad][msnmad][msnmad]

Eldest daughter doing A Levels has just gone off to London for the day/night to see Shane Ward at O2 arena, time would have been better spent revising.

Middle daugther had no lessons this morning so said she would revise at home, up to now she has gone to school every day. I am shouting up 2 flights of stairs asking her if she is doing revision whilst doing my ironing.

Found out this morning she has been put in wrong biology exam, she should be in the high paper but is down for the lower paper, can only get C in lower paper but is predicted A/B. Emailing and ringing school now[msnmad]

I will be o glad when it's all over.

ncmurray
21-05-2008, 14:00
Ahhh... a glass of wine.... that always puts things in perspective!

Judy, do you think they are trying to fool us, and that when August comes, they can say "see....I told you it was ok!!"
I really hope so[msnscared]

Biology today. I hope she does ok, as this is probably her best subject, but her teacher has left a lot to be desired! For the first module back in year 10, they went in to the exam only to find that they had been studying the wrong module! I don't know how she did it, but she managed to get a B, even without having covered the course. And then, in October of year 11, she mentioned that her teacher won't let them use the proper text books, because he said that he didn't have enough books for everyone, but Isabel said that they were piled up on the shelf! When I complained to the Head of Science, he was completely shocked, and sorted it out immediately. However, two months into year 11, and only then starting to use the correct textbooks, it has to be an upwards struggle from there!![msnmad]

Nuala

ncmurray
21-05-2008, 14:05
Sally,

I can't believe that they put your daughter into the wrong exam!

I really hope you can get it sorted before 1.30pm

Let us know how you get on

Nuala

TrishT
21-05-2008, 16:07
I know what you all mean, our ED taking her GCSE's at the moment, she had englsh lit yesterday, had spanish this morning and science this afternoon [msnscared] all we get is "good" "fine" or "ok", just keep saying as long as you try your best dont let yourself down, also tried bribary, varied amount of cash for A,B or C, as long as she gets the grades she's already accepted into 6th form [msnsmile2] Revision consits of a mix of sam learning on her laptop, with a bit to much msn chatting with friends. I too find a glass of wine helps and wish all young people and parents the best of luck [msnsmile2]

Kazzie
21-05-2008, 17:23
I am currently invigilating for the GCSE exams and so far have found that most of the students are very confident. There are just the odd few who do not seem to know what they are doing and most of these do not seem to care one way or the other. Hopefully the results will reflect their confidence, it must be a nervous wait for them though.

TrishT
21-05-2008, 17:36
You are so right Karen, I think she will worry more while waiting, especially as she will have to wait longer, we are at our villa when the results come out [msnwink] dont get back until August 27th [msnsmile2]

ShirleyD
21-05-2008, 17:45
My son is in the middle of ASs, but you would never know!! Last one tommorrow :D He did pass his driving test today though, so hopefully a good omen, but think I am clutching at straws [msnscared]

Kazzie
21-05-2008, 19:00
Congratulations to your Son Shirley, now the worry starts (every time they go out driving)[msneek]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ShirleyD
My son is in the middle of ASs, but you would never know!! Last one tommorrow :D He did pass his driving test today though, so hopefully a good omen, but think I am clutching at straws [msnscared]
[/quote]

MICKEYSDEN
21-05-2008, 19:54
We have now finished all GCSE, A Levels and Uni exams,[msnsmile2] last one starts full time work next month[clap] no more school/Uni holidays [clap][high5]

glasgowmary
21-05-2008, 21:25
French here today , seemed t go well....only chemistry and physic left now , thank god .at least the stress will be over untill next year[msnwink]

ncmurray
21-05-2008, 21:34
Well, Biology is over, and, surprise surprise.... it was fine!

I give up..... I'm just not asking any more[msnsad]

Nuala

Sally D
21-05-2008, 21:54
They let Hannah take the higher paper, their mistake[clap].

She also said it was fine.

Food Tech for her tomorrow.

Congrats to your son Shirley, my eldest passed her driving test in January and what a blessing that was, only 2 to taxi around now.

ncmurray
21-05-2008, 22:02
Thats a relief, Sally.

Congratulations to your son, Shirley.[clap]

Nuala

wrpac00
21-05-2008, 22:18
My youngest is nearing the end of his Masters Building Surveying. He has got an exam tomorrow, one next week and then he has got until October to do his dissertation.

Thankfully that will be the end of my kids education, 20 years is a long time from the first one starting and this one finishing.

berrysmiles
22-05-2008, 01:29
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ncmurray
Ahhh... a glass of wine.... that always puts things in perspective!

Judy, do you think they are trying to fool us, and that when August comes, they can say "see....I told you it was ok!!"
I really hope so[msnscared]

Biology today. I hope she does ok, as this is probably her best subject, but her teacher has left a lot to be desired! For the first module back in year 10, they went in to the exam only to find that they had been studying the wrong module! I don't know how she did it, but she managed to get a B, even without having covered the course. And then, in October of year 11, she mentioned that her teacher won't let them use the proper text books, because he said that he didn't have enough books for everyone, but Isabel said that they were piled up on the shelf! When I complained to the Head of Science, he was completely shocked, and sorted it out immediately. However, two months into year 11, and only then starting to use the correct textbooks, it has to be an upwards struggle from there!![msnmad]

Nuala
[/quote]

Nuala, I really really hope so!!
We also had biology today. They hadn't finished the course by the time the kids went on study leave, so they spent the last double period trying to organise a time when it would suit the whole class to come in to do the last part. The time they took that day would have finished the course without them coming in again - This is one of the top 10 schools in NI

Judy

ncmurray
22-05-2008, 13:11
Even the best schools can mess it up at times! Did the part of the course that wasn't covered come up in the exam?

I have to say that I was surprised that the Biology exam was only 45 minutes long! I know there was coursework throughout the two years, but 45 minutes doesn't seem enough time to test 5 years of work!

Nuala

dunkderby
27-05-2008, 00:58
A couple of years ago one of my daughters teachers lost all her course work[msnmad], no apology[msnmad], she had one week to do all her course work again, plus all her revising for her other exams.

Last year we got the kids tickets to see Aerosmith at Hyde Park, only to discover later that she had her A level chemistry exam the next day[msneek], her arguement why she should still go to see Aerosmith was 'it's a once in a life time opportunity'. Isn't that what taking a A Level Chemistry exam is[msneek].

My youngest son is currently taking is GCSE's and all he says is yeah it was OK.

Wine for me as well I think[party2]

Colleen