PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Coast

Madabouttigger
17-05-2008, 18:33
Finally I've just got round to booking flights for next Years Florida trip. We have been so busy moving house I don't feel I've had a moment to call my own.
The plan is to spend a week in Orlando and then a week on the Gulf coast. We have spent a couple of days over at Tampa and St Pete's but didn't get any further south.
I'm looking for advise on the best place to stay on the Gulf Coast. I fancy somewhere on the beach, or pretty close to the beach, self catering. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Begining to feel excited already, coundown clock set.....[msnwink][msnsmile2][msnwink]

Diane.

Mo Green
17-05-2008, 19:38
Diane

You will find some beautiful Gulf Coast villas through this site if you look at the Gulf Coast section most only a few minutes drive from beautiful beaches.

The villas are fully equipped for any catering you may wish to do and most have barbecues. If you choose an area like Rotonda West you will also fund there are many excellent restaurants within a short drive. Rotonda is also a good base for exploring other parts of the coast from Sarasota down to Naples although, after a hectic week in Orlando, you may just be happy to relax by your own pool or spend a few hours at the beach.

Mo

Katys Grandad
17-05-2008, 19:57
If you want 'on the beach' a condo on Sanibel or Captiva would fit the bill perfectly (you can rent a house on either island but they're staggeringly expensive). I've just had 2 weeks in a beachfront condo on Sanibel literally steps from the Gulf of Mexico.

If you don't mind a drive to the beach each time you'll have the option of a house with a pool more or less all along the coast. The ones on this site are as good as any and more affordable.

Pookie
17-05-2008, 20:44
Hi Diane,

I should think you need a break after house moving it is so stressful.

You will find lots of great information on the site re the Gulf Coast, you won't go far wrong looking at the Gulf Coast section on OV.

I too can recommend Rotonda West, it is mid way between Sarasota & Fort Myers so ideal for exploring north or south. But after a week at the theme parks you may just want to chill & this stretch of coastline is ideal, lots of quite often deserted beaches with just sea oats, dolphins & birds for company.

Enjoy researching.

Lynne

Madabouttigger
17-05-2008, 20:54
Thanks for all your replies, I have had a quick look at the Gulf Coast Villas on this site, they are all a little too big for just the 2 of us. I have found some beautiful 1 bed appartments on another site, I'm just not sure on the location yet. Sanibel sounds wonderful - I'll have to have a look around and see what I can find.

Thanks again,

Diane.

Mo Green
17-05-2008, 21:00
Diane

Just to give you some idea of the local beaches. These were taken at Gasparilla Island a week ago. Only a $4 toll to cross and about 25 minutes drive from Rotonda but worth it for almost a beach to oneself.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/2008517165815_IMG_4067resize.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/2008517165846_IMG_4070resize.JPG

Mo

mollymolly
17-05-2008, 21:01
Dianne you would be surprised about the number of times its just a couple in our 3 bed villas down on the Gulf Coast. Most of the time I just have 2 guests sharing and many of my fellow villa owners report the same. People enjoy the space and the fact they don't have to share a pool.

But I'm sure no matter where you choose you will enjoy the peace & quiet and the laid-back attitude of the Gulf inhabitants!

Enjoy!

Bernadette

Madabouttigger
17-05-2008, 21:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mo Green
Diane

Just to give you some idea of the local beaches. These were taken at Gasparilla Island a week ago. Only a $4 toll to cross and about 25 minutes drive from Rotonda but worth it for almost a beach to oneself.

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/2008517165815_IMG_4067resize.JPG

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/Mo Green/2008517165846_IMG_4070resize.JPG

Mo
[/quote]
Mo - Thanks for the pictures, it looks fantastic, can't wait to go.

Diane.

Madabouttigger
17-05-2008, 21:11
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mollymolly
Dianne you would be surprised about the number of times its just a couple in our 3 bed villas down on the Gulf Coast. Most of the time I just have 2 guests sharing and many of my fellow villa owners report the same. People enjoy the space and the fact they don't have to share a pool.

But I'm sure no matter where you choose you will enjoy the peace & quiet and the laid-back attitude of the Gulf inhabitants!

Enjoy!

Bernadette[/quote]I know what your saying, we have stayed in 3 bed villas several times, and will be staying in a 3 bed in Orlando. But of course you pay 3 bed villa prices. Now if I can get a stunning one bed villa on the beach front, and it costs me the same price as a 3 bed on a communtity, it will be the 1 bed beach front I opt for.

Thanks for the advice any way.

Diane.

Benny24
22-05-2008, 03:39
We're curently sat at MCO waiting for the flight home, after two weeks in a villa and one week in Sanibel. We stayed in a lovely little place called Sanibel Sunset beach resort. We had a room which had a small kitchen, oven, hob, microwave and fridge freezer. It was right on the beach, Fantastic. Reccomend it.

Robert5988
22-05-2008, 12:52
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Now if I can get a stunning one bed villa on the beach front, and it costs me the same price as a 3 bed on a communtity, it will be the 1 bed beach front I opt for.[/quote]I doubt you will ever find a "stunning one bed villa on the beach".

Most property on the beach consists of condos or as stated above:
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:a room which had a small kitchen, oven, hob, microwave and fridge freezer. It was right on the beach, Fantastic.[/quote]Offered a choice between a luxury villa that requires a drive to get to the beach, or a modest room with basic facilities, but on the beach, I would opt for the latter every time.

To get out of bed, go for a walk down the beach, come back for breakfast and spend the day on the beach with all your own facilities - showers, toilet, food & drink, chairs, umbrellas spare costumes etc - to hand is what a beach holiday is all about.

Too hot? - pop back in and have a shower and rest for an hour or two.
Go fishing in the evening and watch the sun set

Location, location, location!

gwensvilla
22-05-2008, 20:21
Sorry have to disagree.... I cannot go back to hotels/rooms... gotta have my space/luxury... been spoilt with being in villas...where ever in the world...I will take the short drive anytime...beach or no beach...Gwen

Mo Green
22-05-2008, 20:49
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988

Offered a choice between a luxury villa that requires a drive to get to the beach, or a modest room with basic facilities, but on the beach, I would opt for the latter every time.

To get out of bed, go for a walk down the beach, come back for breakfast and spend the day on the beach with all your own facilities - showers, toilet, food & drink, chairs, umbrellas spare costumes etc - to hand is what a beach holiday is all about.

Too hot? - pop back in and have a shower and rest for an hour or two.
Go fishing in the evening and watch the sun set

Location, location, location!It all comes down to what your budget is and what your preference is. Personally I don’t want a modest room with basic facilities when I go on holiday neither do I want to be on a beach from dawn to dusk. I know from the number of couples renting 3 bedroom villas in Rotonda many like myself will go for a luxury villa option even if it means a 10 – 15 minute drive to the beach.

It is easy to drive down to the beach for a walk before breakfast (even take your own breakfast to cook on a beach BBQ) or, like many holidaymakers, go for an early morning walk round your neighbourhood watching the local wildlife.

Nearly all the beaches have showers, beautifully clean toilets and it does not take a minute to stow umbrellas, beach chairs etc into the car boot – we leave them in the boot for the entire holiday together with a box containing all essentials we may need on the beach. Come the weekend or Bank holidays if the beach is crowded with noisy families and parties villa renters can relax round their own private pool without having someone decide to sit a few yards away.

Fortunately on the Gulf Coast there is enough choice to suit all tastes and budgets.

Magical Dreams
22-05-2008, 20:50
We've just come back from 3 weeks in Florida.

First 2 weeks in our villa in Kissimmee then the 3rd week in Rotonda in a Villa.
(After reading threads on here regarding best places to stay)

I must say that it was a pleasure in staying in such a nice house.
It was just so nice after time at the beach to come home, shower and relax.
Having the space available to us was great as this adds to being able to relax without feeling cramped.

The short drive to the beach was ideal, it gave you the excuse to call in to the supermarket for drinks and snacks and pop them straight into the cool box.

Diane was unsure about going to the beach for a week away from our own villa, but once we got there, she knew it was the right thing to do. It was just so relaxing.

Katys Grandad
22-05-2008, 20:51
The true test of desirability is COST. A condo on the beach will probably be worth 3 or 4 times the value a house inland and is actually likely to be more luxurious. I can see both points of view but if you want a 'Beach Holiday', surely you should be located as close to the beach as possible?

thornton
22-05-2008, 21:04
We had a few days away on the Gulf just recently and stayed in a villa and we wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Went down to the beach when we wanted, had a swim, walk and a meal sometimes if we were there at lunchtime and then in the evening a swim by the pool followed by a G&T and then a BBQ cooked by the boys. It was perfect and sooooooooooooo relaxing. If there is a choice villas now win everytime with us wherever we are.

Madabouttigger
22-05-2008, 21:05
Just to throw a spanner in the works I'm having problems getting a mid week let - most of the beach properties I've contacted only want Sat - Sat or Fri - Fri [msnscared]

All part of the fun of booking a holiday yourself.[msnwink]

Diane.

Mo Green
22-05-2008, 21:17
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
The true test of desirability is COST. A condo on the beach will probably be worth 3 or 4 times the value a house inland and is actually likely to be more luxurious. [/quote]Not always true. We have been coming to Florida for many years. Before having our house built we had stayed at Condos on the beach and villas. The privately owned villas were far superior to the Condos.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: I can see both points of view but if you want a 'Beach Holiday', surely you should be located as close to the beach as possible? [/quote]The original posting to this topic was for <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: the best place to stay on the Gulf Coast. I fancy somewhere on the beach, or pretty close to the beach, self catering. Any ideas would be appreciated.[/quote]

Robert5988
22-05-2008, 23:20
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The true test of desirability is COST. A condo on the beach will probably be worth 3 or 4 times the value a house inland and is actually likely to be more luxurious.[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Not always true. We have been coming to Florida for many years. Before having our house built we had stayed at Condos on the beach and villas. The privately owned villas were far superior to the Condos.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean!

Are you saying that beach condos don't fetch 3 or 4 times the price of houses inland?

Or that they do, but houses inland are more desirable?

I live on the other side of Florida but there a 'direct ocean'(on the beach) condo, will fetch double the price of a nice house that is 100 yds from the beach.

A house on the beach will cost up to 10 times the price of a comparable house inland.

Location! Location! Location! Indisputable - all over the world!

Katys Grandad
22-05-2008, 23:55
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:The true test of desirability is COST. A condo on the beach will probably be worth 3 or 4 times the value a house inland and is actually likely to be more luxurious.[/quote]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Not always true. We have been coming to Florida for many years. Before having our house built we had stayed at Condos on the beach and villas. The privately owned villas were far superior to the Condos.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean!

Are you saying that beach condos don't fetch 3 or 4 times the price of houses inland?

Or that they do, but houses inland are more desirable?

A house on the beach will cost up to 10 times the price of a comparable house inland.

Location! Location! Location! Indisputable - all over the world!
[/quote]

Absolutely.

Even within a few yards of the beach the price can vary enormously. I stay on a property of condos on Sanibel. The ones at the rear which are about 200 yards from the beach sell at around $750k but a true beach front condo on the same property will easily fetch $1.25 million.

Beachfront houses start around £6 million. Drive 5 miles over the causeway to Fort Myers and the same style of house houses can be had for less than $500k. Surprisingly, the rental rates don't vary anything like that much.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
23-05-2008, 00:55
Just a polite request to keep to the original topic, which was about accommodation on the Gulf Coast and not about property prices there [msnsmile].

MTP
23-05-2008, 06:07
I think there may be a danger of comparing apples and pears. Sure they are all fruit, however, the benefits of space and facilities can not b directly compared to other benefits. It is all about your personal compromise. For us the personal space and facilites that a villa offers win hands down every time, Florida or not, regardless of location.

Madabouttigger
24-05-2008, 11:48
Well now I am beginig to panic, it seems I haven't picked the best time to go to the gulf coast as the snow birds are there for the winter months. A lot of the accommodation I have looked at is pre booked or incredibly expensive. However, I have had some advice sent through to me and I will be spending the weekend searching for that dream holiday rental.

Wish me luck and I'll let you kow how I get on.

Diane.

Madabouttigger
25-05-2008, 21:06
Yesterday I emailed 10 owners to check availability and so far only one has replied - the panic is begining to set in. I may have to re thing the location.[msnscared]

Madabouttigger
27-05-2008, 21:33
So far I have emailed around 20 owners, only 3 have replied, 2 a definate no dates available, one a really nice email asking for more details and will get back to me. So still no villa booked. However, I have had some more information sent to me, so I'll keep looking. Wish me luck. [msnwink]

Diane.

Clare R
27-05-2008, 21:40
I haven't received an enquiry from you

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-05-2008, 22:07
I've just checked and all I can see is one villa specific enquiry from your email address on 21st May 2008. Unless you have used a different email address for the enquiries, this is the only one that has been submitted via our sites from what I can see.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger
So far I have emailed around 20 owners, only 3 have replied, 2 a definate no dates available, one a really nice email asking for more details and will get back to me. So still no villa booked. However, I have had some more information sent to me, so I'll keep looking. Wish me luck. [msnwink]

Diane.
[/quote]

Madabouttigger
27-05-2008, 22:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
I've just checked and all I can see is one villa specific enquiry from your email address on 21st May 2008. Unless you have used a different email address for the enquiries, this is the only one that has been submitted via our sites from what I can see.

Diane.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I emailed all the gulf coast villa owners that have 3 bed villas, I sent them individually and checked the box for the email to go other owners, if the villa wasnt available? Not sure what happened there, I'll go now and email them all again.[msnscared][msnsad][msnscared]

Diane.

Pookie
27-05-2008, 22:41
I have not had an inquiry from you either, I would have replied.

Lynne

Madabouttigger
27-05-2008, 22:44
OK - Ive just sent another 14 emails to the owners of the 3 bed Gulf coast Villas, fingers crossed something comes back this time.

Diane

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
27-05-2008, 22:52
I still only see the one enquiry from 21st May from your email address. I'm not sure what is happening here but could I ask you to email me at info@orlandovillas.com with a note of what you entered into each of the fields on the enquiry form so I can look into it further please.

OK - Ive just sent another 14 emails to the owners of the 3 bed Gulf coast Villas, fingers crossed something comes back this time.

Diane[msnwink]
[/quote]

mollymolly
28-05-2008, 01:16
I also have not had an enquiry. I always respond [msnsmile]

Bernadette

Madabouttigger
28-05-2008, 01:50
I've emailed John the details and he is looking into it for me - hopefully you will be getting my requests through soon.

Mo Green
28-05-2008, 02:10
I have not had an enquiry either and I always reply to specific enquiries.

Mo

Madabouttigger
28-05-2008, 21:12
Ok folks - John has sorted out the "bug" in system that was blocking my emails, Ive just got to send them again. Ho hum, fingers crossed this time.[msnmad]

Madabouttigger
01-06-2008, 17:22
Found what looks to be a perfect Condo on Captiva Island. Just waiting for the reservation forms to come through. Any advice on restaurants and things to do in the area would be appreciated. Thanks.

NB - does any one know if the toll road get on and off the island gets congested?

Diane.

Mo Green
01-06-2008, 19:18
Found what looks to be a perfect Cono on Captiva Island. Just waiting for the reservation forms to come through. Any advice on restaurants and things to do in the area would be appreciated. Thanks.

NB - does any one know if the toll road get on and off the island gets congested?

Diane.
[/quote]

We have not eaten on Captiva Island recently so can not recommend any restaurants.

The toll road does get very busy in the peak season and at peak times. We were on Captiva a year ago in March and it took us over an hour to get from Captiva to the mainland. If you are actually staying on the island you will probably be going in the opposite direction to most of the traffic. Just try to avoid getting off the island as people are leaving the beach in the afternoon.

Mo

Katys Grandad
01-06-2008, 20:40
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mo Green
Found what looks to be a perfect Cono on Captiva Island. Just waiting for the reservation forms to come through. Any advice on restaurants and things to do in the area would be appreciated. Thanks.

Diane.
[/quote]
The toll road does get very busy in the peak season and at peak times. We were on Captiva a year ago in March and it took us over an hour to get from Captiva to the mainland. If you are actually staying on the island you will probably be going in the opposite direction to most of the traffic. Just try to avoid getting off the island as people are leaving the beach in the afternoon.

Mo

[/quote]

If it was March 2007 Maureen then that would be before the new Causeway opened?

It's a lot quicker these days because all the construction has cleared and the main span of the causeway is high enough for sea traffic to pass under so no need for a drawbridge which always held things up. The booths are also much better now.

Reckon on about 35 minutes to the mainland from Captiva at busy times and much shorter from Sanibel.

Tonish
04-06-2008, 00:27
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Madabouttigger Posted - 01 Jun 2008 : 13:22:32
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found what looks to be a perfect Condo on Captiva Island. Just waiting for the reservation forms to come through. Any advice on restaurants and things to do in the area would be appreciated. Thanks.
[/quote]

Restaurants - Bubble Room is enjoyable but a bit overrated. Good bar staff make great martinis and the desserts are huge
Keylime Bistro - good, bit pricey for what it is (although everywhere there is).

Mucky Duck is great, nice to sit outside on the beach in the evening there (provided you've got plenty of insect repellant).

Old Captiva House and Green Flash get excellent write ups but we haven't tried them - we're going to give them a go this summer.

Rent a speedboat for the day and go to Cabbage Key - there's a nice nature walk round the island and the restaurant is worth a visit. You get to leave a dollar bill stuck to the wall.

There's a segway tour of Sanibel which we enjoyed. Depends how active you want to be, but you can rent wave runners and go paragliding from the beach. Paragliding's not my thing (scared of heights), but Mrs T and the boys thought it was great.

If I can think of some of the other stuff we did I'll let you know. It's a wonderful place, very civilised.

Madabouttigger
04-06-2008, 01:07
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Madabouttigger Posted - 01 Jun 2008 : 13:22:32
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/quote]

Restaurants - Bubble Room is enjoyable but a bit overrated. Good bar staff make great martinis and the deserts are huge
Keylime Bistro - good, bit pricey for what it is (although everywhere there is).

Mucky Duck is great, nice to sit outside on the beach in the evening there (provided you've got plenty of insect repellant).

Old Captiva House and Green Flash get excellent write ups but we haven't tried them - we're going to give them a go this summer.

Rent a speedboat for the day and go to Cabbage Key - there's a nice nature walk round the island and the restaurant is worth a visit. You get to leave a dollar bill stuck to the wall.

There's a segway tour of Sanibel which we enjoyed. Depends how active you want to be, but you can rent wave runners and go paragliding from the beach. Paragliding's not my thing (scared of heights), but Mrs T and the boys thought it was great.

If I can think of some of the other stuff we did I'll let you know. It's a wonderful place, very civilised.
[/quote]

Cheers Peter thanks for the response, I was your photos of the island that finally swung our decision.[msnwink]

Diane.