PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Parking - Apply in Advance

solanasunshine
13-05-2008, 17:12
If you use a blue UK disabled parking permit and therefore need a US temporary permit to use whilst you are on holiday in Florida then you can now apply by post in advance of your holiday so that you are set to go when you are there.

This is taken from Simon Veness (author of A Brit's guide to Orlando.)

<span style="color:blue">British visitors CAN now apply, officially and properly, in advance, by mail for the temporary disabled parking permit.

The Osceola CVB have realised it was a confusing situation and, as they are a government body like the local tax office, have liaised directly with their head tax office to authorise written requests, that will then send the necessary permit back by return mail.

It ideally needs to be sent by certified mail (i.e. so that someone signs for it on receipt at the tax office), and it must include a money order for $15 (or credit card details, see below), a copy (both sides) of your UK blue disabled badge, and a copy of your personal details in your passport (the last pages). But, once you have that done, put them all in an envelope

1) Copy of your UK disabled badge (both sides)
2) Copy of your photo ID from your passport
3) Money order for $15 payable to Osceola County Tax Collector

And send it to:

Tag Department
Osceola Tax Collector
2501 E Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway
Kissimmee
Florida 34744
USA

You should allow for at least 4 weeks for the process to be completed and it will be valid for a full 6 months.

The phone number there is 407 742 4000 and fax 407 742 3995.

You can still apply in person, and the office hours are 8am-4.30pm Mon-Fri.

Oh, and here is the confirmation in their official document:

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A TEMPORARY PARKING PERMIT BY A CITIZEN OF ANOTHER COUNTRY:

Administratively, a temporary disabled parking permit may be issued to a citizen of another country who is here in a visitor status. The following must be verified:

• A copy of the out-of-country parking permit. If the permit has two sides, copy both sides.
• Visually see a passport or comparable identification to verify ownership of the out-of country parking permit. A Florida driver license or ID card is not required.

NOTE: One valid temporary parking permit may be issued for up to 6 months. The fee is $15.

Here is some additional info supplied by the Osceola County CVB:

1) The Osceola Tax Collector pays the postage fee for the mailing from the US to the UK. UK applicants do not have to provide an extra fee for postage.
2) They suggest to get the application in 4 weeks prior to the trip. The office has a 1-2 day turnaround on the applications but they said to allow for the extra time just in case.
3) They require a U.S. money order for $15 made to the Osceola County Tax Collector. Applicants can pay by credit card. They ask that applicants provide name on the credit card, credit card number, and expiration date. There is an additional $2 fee charged for applicants using their credit cards.</span id="blue">

Hope this helps everyone. [msnsmile]

blott
13-05-2008, 17:28
It's really easy to get one when you arrive and takes only about ten mins or so of your holiday time at the local Tag & Tax Office. The temporary Florida disabled permits are red and not blue like the 'ordinary' US ones and have an expiry date on them (so you can't use them every time you go to Florida in the future).

It needs to be said, however, that the blue British disabled badge is no longer valid in Florida - this is because Britain isn't a reciprocal agreement country and doesn't acknowledge US ones for US visitors to Britain.

If you park in a Florida disabled bay with a UK blue disabled badge, you can be fined the amount stated on the sign in front of you, which can range from $150 - $450.

Claire
13-05-2008, 17:32
My mother has a UK blue badge and I have applied for the US version for our last 2 visits to Orlando (Nov '07 and April '08). Just follow the instructions outlined above, send off the letter, etc and the tag will arrive in your mail a couple of weeks later. It is a red 'tag' which you hang from the rear view mirror in your car. The second time I applied, the cheque was returned to me as not required - not sure why I did not have to pay, but not complaining! The beauty of these tags is that they are much more visible than the UK blue badge.

CLAIRE

blott
13-05-2008, 17:58
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Claire
The second time I applied, the cheque was returned to me as not required - not sure why I did not have to pay, but not complaining! [/quote]I didn't have to pay for my second one at the Tag & Tax office either - again, not sure why but didn't argue! [msnwink]

LiesaAnna
13-05-2008, 20:36
good job i read this!!!! best get sending mine off!!

LiesaAnna
19-05-2008, 15:05
dont want to appear thick but guess its to late for that[:I] where do i get a US money order from? im trying to send my application off all copies ready but not sure about the money order as i have never had to do one before
any advice greatly received:D thanks

solanasunshine
19-05-2008, 15:19
Liesa, I would imagine that from non US applicants they would mean some sort of International Money Order which you can get from a Bank, but from memory they are quite expensive. You can give your credit card details to them to pay that way instead, (Point 3 at the bottom of the original post.)and they only charge you $2 which will be cheaper.

Hope this helps [msnsmile]

LiesaAnna
19-05-2008, 20:31
thanks, ummm we dont use a credit card....what about debit card?

solanasunshine
19-05-2008, 20:43
I should imagine that you can use that instead of a credit card.

tezz7628
19-05-2008, 22:23
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
It's really easy to get one when you arrive and takes only about ten mins or so of your holiday time at the local Tag & Tax Office.
[/quote]

[msnwink]

<span style="color:blue">(please ignore info below it's for property tax I think)</span id="blue">

tag and tax office

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/property/taxcollectors.html

Honorable Earl K. Wood
Orange County Tax Collector Suntrust Center
200 S. Orange Ave., Ste 1500
Orlando, FL 32801
ekw@octaxcol.com
407-836-2709
407-836-2730 FAX

Honorable Patsy Heffner
Osceola County Tax Collector P.O. Box 422105
2501 E. Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy.
Kissimmee, FL 34744
phef@osceola.org
407-742-4000
407-742-4036 FAX

first one seems to be near church street station and second seems to be near st. cloud

LiesaAnna
19-05-2008, 22:39
nice one Tezz......just wanted to get organised before we go....if only you knew how much time we have spent trying to find whats obvious in front of our eyes!![msnscared]in florida!!!
its a womans thing...being organised.......never did get to the bottom as to whether Tezz was a male or female of the OV family[msnwink]

tezz7628
19-05-2008, 23:47
I think the above information could be wrong I put tag and tax office into google and they came up with above page, but have now gone in through dmv website and obtained this

http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/

2nd chart on list for orange county disability permits

http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/orange.html
closest to you on that seems to be near orlando international airport
on orange blossom trail

2nd chart on list for osceola county disability permits

http://www.flhsmv.gov/offices/osceola.html

<span style="color:red">(see below for address change for poinciana office)</span id="red">

3 options are close-by on this with one poinciana if you want to go that far

the one nr. the lake at st cloud seems to be on both tax collector panels i think the first one I gave is for property

LiesaAnna
20-05-2008, 01:28
thanks Tezz your just to kind.....nice to see you bobbing around the forum again havent seen you for ages.....

berrysmiles
23-05-2008, 11:45
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Claire
My mother has a UK blue badge and I have applied for the US version for our last 2 visits to Orlando (Nov '07 and April '08). Just follow the instructions outlined above, send off the letter, etc and the tag will arrive in your mail a couple of weeks later. It is a red 'tag' which you hang from the rear view mirror in your car. The second time I applied, the cheque was returned to me as not required - not sure why I did not have to pay, but not complaining! The beauty of these tags is that they are much more visible than the UK blue badge.

CLAIRE
[/quote]

Clair, can you get them to send it to your villa or must it be sent to your home in the UK

Judy

Claire
24-05-2008, 12:47
Judy

I have never asked for it to be sent to the villa. Like most people, however, I don't have a mailbox at the villa, so it would be difficult to arrange delivery there. If you cannot arrange it in advance and have it delivered to the UK, it would be best to follow the advise given by Blott and go along to the local Tag & Tax office in person to get the tag.

CLAIRE

berrysmiles
24-05-2008, 14:38
Hi Claire

I have everything ready to post today. We leave here on 27th June, so fingers crossed it will be back by then. I got Ivan's last year from the tag office in Marco Island and it took 2 visits, the second one armed with all the info from here, before they would issue one

Judy

tezz7628
24-05-2008, 14:39
found this information on the osceola tax collectors site today

http://www.osceolataxcollector.org/

change of address for poinciana office

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/Data/tezz7628/2008524103639_tax.JPG

which directs you to this site

http://www.osceolataxcollector.org/news.html

p.s. just sent them an email about changing the address on the other site above ;)

blott
24-05-2008, 16:52
Thanks for that Tezz - that's where I got mine from! [msnwink]

berrysmiles
12-06-2008, 21:38
Quick Update . I sent off the application on Saturday 24th May and we received the tag here in Northern Ireland on Tuesday of this week - 10th June

[clap][clap][clap]

Judy

LiesaAnna
13-06-2008, 00:44
mines already to go, but think i will have to hold off as mine runs out here in the UK 31st july, apparently people worse off then me are getting theirs declined......will probably get it done whilst there if i get it back, have had mine for about 15 years

Lynne S
13-06-2008, 01:34
Liesa, if you do have to pick it up once you are in Florida the office on Pleasant Hill road is not very far from Terra Verde.

And I have every faith in Steve finding it for you [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
13-06-2008, 03:15
more then me then Lynne......:Dhow many attempts Lynne???
mind you we have booked a charter flight through this site..... and the flight leaves at 8am from gatwick so we should get into sanford at a reasonable hour and go straight to that office i think, so will need directions from above.....[laugh]

tezz7628
13-06-2008, 03:26
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
more then me then Lynne......:Dhow many attempts Lynne???
mind you we have booked a charter flight through this site..... and the flight leaves at 8am from gatwick so we should get into sanford at a reasonable hour and go straight to that office i think, so will need directions from above.....[laugh]
[/quote]

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=18060248945407535261,28.771530,-81.241560&saddr=E+Airport+Blvd+%4028.771530,+-81.241560&daddr=28.25661,-81.436501&mra=mi&mrsp=1,0&sz=13&sll=28.263263,-81.385174&sspn=0.06698,0.170975&ie=UTF8&ll=28.350921,-81.286469&spn=0.133849,0.341949&z=12

LiesaAnna
13-06-2008, 11:56
Thanks Tezz [bowwave]

Lynne S
13-06-2008, 13:37
Liesa, the first time I'm sure[msnwink]

On the map that Tezz has posted you come along the 17/92 until you get to the junction with Poinciana Blvd, you can't miss this as there is a new Home Depot here on the right.
Turn right up Poinciana Blvd go over the railway tracks, then you'll pass Green Meadows petting farm, round a bit then TV is on your right [msnsmile2]

LiesaAnna
13-06-2008, 14:18
thanks Lynne xxxxxx