PDA

View Full Version : parking

cymro
09-05-2008, 15:24
Another (seems trivial) question.

Coming over in September and hiring a car from Alamo.

Question is , when i visit Universal studios, will be parking car at their car parks, then most probably after the studios will stay on to eat at universal walk.

What time do the car parks close at night, will I be able to leave my car all day?

blott
09-05-2008, 15:50
It can take some time to empty the huge theme park car parks so they don't close until some time (an hour or more) after the park itself closes.

Nina A
09-05-2008, 15:52
The car parks are open until well after the park closes. No problem with staying all day and evening. Charges $11, preferred parking $16 or valet $18. Free parking after 6pm (sometimes later when special events are on) Great for evening visits to City Walk.

You can take a boat to the Hard Rock Hotel or Portofino Bay Hotel free of charge for a change of pace and quiet meal or drink. Or walk through the stunning grounds past the Hard Rock Hotel to the Portofino Bay Hotel which is spectacular and a faithful recreation of the Italian resort of the same name.

Have a brilliant time [8D]

domster
09-05-2008, 20:26
We have stayed late in City Walk and left the car in the car park, As Nina says they stay open well after the place shuts.

DLB-GOUROCK
10-05-2008, 17:08
Just wondering about location in the Universal parking lot.
If you go during the day you will be directed to park in a bay with all the other visitors.
As the day progresses and people leave the parking lot empties in a random order.

Those who arrive later for City Walk in the evening will be directed to areas close to the pedestrian exit for the park.

If you have been at the park all day and have stayed late there could be a chance that your car is left on its own at a distant location.

Is this a concern for anyone?

I supose it is the same for many of the parks when you arrive it all very busy and lots of people about but when you leave it can be very quiet and lonely. However, Universal parking lot is a multi story type and can have dark areas other parks I have been to are all open and you can see what is going on.

blott
10-05-2008, 19:10
Sorry David, what are you trying to say exactly? That you'd have to walk further to collect your car? Or something else?

DLB-GOUROCK
10-05-2008, 19:24
No, just that when you park it's very busy and lots of people about.
But when you return you could find your car way in the distance with every one else gone home and you walking through a multi story park when it's quiet. Especially if you have stayed from opening time until late.

blott
10-05-2008, 21:09
Oh, I see, you're worried from a security aspect?

No problems, like the rest of the theme park areas, the car parks are all monitored by CCTV and also patrolled by security and are not open to anyone else who hasn't paid to park there.

If you were going to stalk anyone in a car park (unlikely as I've never heard of that in the Orlando area), then I think you'd probably find somewhere that was free, rather than paying for the privilege! [msnwink]

Albert the Frog
11-05-2008, 01:58
i agree with blott- i have never felt at the slightest risk in any of the parks or car parks and we have regularly stayed late at city walk

DLB-GOUROCK
11-05-2008, 02:42
Thanks for the reassurance.

Lynne S
11-05-2008, 03:39
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by DLB-GOUROCK
No, just that when you park it's very busy and lots of people about.
But when you return you could find your car way in the distance with every one else gone home and you walking through a multi story park when it's quiet. Especially if you have stayed from opening time until late.

[/quote]

I'm sure if you wished to stay at any of the theme parks from very early until late, you wouldn't be the only ones[msnwink]

We arrived at Magic Kingdom one morning last week around 9am, we had done most of the rides and shows that we wanted to do by about 1:30pm. We then went back to our villa for lunch and a chill. We went out to a restaurant for our evening meal and then went back to MK to watch the 9pm showing of Wishes. We saw quite a few people that we had noticed first thing in the morning...[msnsmile2] I must say they did look really tired [msnwink]
I'm sure this happens lots of times, so you won't be alone David.

DLB-GOUROCK
11-05-2008, 05:18
Hi Lynne,

I was more concerned about the multi story car park at Universal which I feel can be more lonely later at night when you car is the only one around, a good walk away, you hear your footsteps echoing and the hair rises on the back of your neck …….

Doesn’t your imagination just run away with itself !!!!

blott
11-05-2008, 08:41
Hi Lynne,

I was more concerned about the multi story car park at Universal which I feel can be more lonely later at night when you car is the only one around, a good walk away, you hear your footsteps echoing and the hair rises on the back of your neck …….

Doesn’t your imagination just run away with itself !!!! [/quote]Absolutely nope, because I know for very certain that nothing in the least bit horrible is going to happen to me. [msnwink]

The worst thing that can happen to you in any theme park car park is

a) you can't remember where you left your car (write the location down somewhere safe before you walk away from it because, after a day of fun and excitement, you won't remember it)

or

b) it won't start (just put the bonnet/hood up as all theme park car parks are equipped with attendants with jump leads and will come and find you).

Lynne S
11-05-2008, 13:45
Hi Lynne,

Doesn’t your imagination just run away with itself !!!!

[/quote]

Hi David, I'm sure the exact thing happens at Universal as it did with us last week at Disney.

Thousands of people come and go each day, all at different times of the day and night. If we returned to any park at night, we have usually gone to one of the front car-parks near to the entrance. No park has got so many car parks that they could leave one of them with just one car in;) Even when the 2 parks are closing everyone has to walk through City Walk to get to the car-parks.

I have always felt totally safe in all of the theme park car-parks. We have visited parks at night in December and been an all female group, none of us were in the least bit afraid or concerned.

Come-on David are you a man or a Mickey mouse [msnwink]

DLB-GOUROCK
11-05-2008, 18:25
Just call me squeak [msnsmile2]

No, I know what you are saying an I'm quite comfortable to hold my own.

Walk tall with a confident air.

As an aside I would rather steer clear of multi storie car parks here at home too. More because if I park on the street there is always someone walking past and I feel that the car is safer left under the public eye. But thats us going off on another tangent.

Nina A
14-05-2008, 12:13
Just wondering about location in the Universal parking lot.
If you go during the day you will be directed to park in a bay with all the other visitors.
As the day progresses and people leave the parking lot empties in a random order.

Those who arrive later for City Walk in the evening will be directed to areas close to the pedestrian exit for the park.

If you have been at the park all day and have stayed late there could be a chance that your car is left on its own at a distant location.

Is this a concern for anyone?

I supose it is the same for many of the parks when you arrive it all very busy and lots of people about but when you leave it can be very quiet and lonely. However, Universal parking lot is a multi story type and can have dark areas other parks I have been to are all open and you can see what is going on.
[/quote] David as everyone else says it really isn't a problem. I know what you mean, U.K multi storey car parks can be very creepy but it's not at all like that at Universal. They are better designed, lit and so well organised. We returned late to the car park on our last visit and didn't give it a second thought, apart from wishing multi storeys could be as plesant back home. Universal, Disney etc cant afford to have any problems so their security and cctv is top notch. If you just want to avoid a possible long walk then choose the preferred or valet parking option.

Slightly off the subject but possibly relevant, is something that strikes us everytime we go to Florida. The yob and drinking culture that we get over here is totally absent there. Not entirely sure why but it could be because you can't drink alcohol until age 21 and this is strictly enforced. Also there is a lot more respect for the police. Unlike most U.K town centres, Universal City Walk and Downtown Disney, although full of clubs and bars are great places for the whole family, even late at night.

We witnessed an incident that underlined this cultural difference and made a huge impression. We were walking back from the July 4 fireworks at Kissimmee lakeside, a very 'local' event. There was a huge crowd and some cars were coming through the middle, so the crowd just let them through. There were 4 youths who were in highish spirits but not objectionable but for whatever reason they continued walking in front of one car not letting it through. There was no exchange of words between them and the driver and after a short time they let the car pass. The driver stopped up ahead and spoke to a sheriff. As we approached the sheriff stopped the lads and was giving them a good telling off. To our amazement the lads were visibly shaken and subdued, answering yes sir no sir, no answering back and no attitude. We actually felt quite sorry for them.

Just relax and enjoy your visit [msncool]

Jill
14-05-2008, 17:45
Just caught up with this thread. We have parked in this car park and left late at night and there were still plenty of cars around, our sons were not adults at the time and we felt perfectly safe letting them run on ahead.

DLB-GOUROCK
14-05-2008, 23:07
Cool guys,

We are off on Friday and looking forward to some fun times at Universal and the rest.