PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

Oscar1
04-11-2003, 00:21
I have managed to get a good deal on a digital camera. I have bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-V1 for 585GBP. May seem like alot but included in this price is a case,spare battery, charger and a 256mb memory stick. The main reason for buying the camera was to take some decent pictures of our villa. I remember when the villa was being built we were desperate for construction pictures, but the managment company kept delaying, then one day we received pictures and the house was nearly complete[msncry]
So now with the camera we can take pictures of the villa, the golf course, surrounding attractions, infact of anything we like. I am taking my laptop so i can download my photos to a cd-rw, the I wont have to buy another stick. This will also stop me from deleting pictures that I later dececide were actually not that bad. Only one problem. We only have 22 days left until we go to Florida. The instruction book is the same thickness as 'Brain surgery for beginners'.
I dont usually read the manual, but I think this time I may have to have a peep.[msnscared]

Oscar

MTP
04-11-2003, 04:07
I have just re-read the manual for my Canon S40 and gone through many pages of "Oh, is that what that button does" and "I didn't know that it did that"! I enjoy both photography and computers, and like Canon's cameras, but you can always learn something new. One good piece of advice is to shoot loads of photos, but before you take that critical family photo make sure you know what you are doing!! I was playing around with my camera about 7 months after getting it and on our second holiday with it. I had taken some really precious photos, even protected them and then I was playing around with it one evening and formatted the compact flash card!!![xx(][xx(]:([msncry]. Those photos were all lost and irreplacable.

My other piece of advice (although I am not sure about this for Sony's memory stick) but memory is cheap, so make sure you have plenty.

Oscar1
04-11-2003, 08:31
Oh my god........you lost all your photos[msnmad][msncry]
I bet you were a little annoyed.....[msnscared]
I used to love photography, but with Mini-me now dont really get much time to take pictures of any thing except her.
I shall heed your advice and ensure I know what everything does.
Do you know if memory is cheaper in Florida than the UK.........I was quoted about 100gbp for a 256mb memory stick.
And do you know the best place to go to get it.

Thanks

Oscar

chrisj
04-11-2003, 12:40
For memory try 7dayshop.com, based in Gurnsey and ive found them cheaper than Florida
for memory and lots of other bits

Chris

Oscar1
04-11-2003, 14:44
Thanks Chris will do.
Hey you never know if i figure out how to use the camara. I can send you pictures from our trip[msnsmile]

Oscar

chrisj
04-11-2003, 15:05
Look forward to seeing some

MTP
05-11-2003, 03:36
Would agree about 7dayshop.com. In my experience memory prices for compact flash cards are same USD fo GBP (eg $70 if they cost £70).

I have also been mucking around with trying to create Video CD's to play the photos on our DYD player. I have previously created family movies from the video camera stuff using the video CD and supervideo CD formats and founds the results to be very impressive. Means we can also then watch the home videos by putting a CD into the DVD player, rather than faffing around with connecting the video camera up, etc. Anyway I downloaded a trial version of Ulead's DVD PictureShow 2 and have found it to be very good (if a little simplistic). So for anyone wanting to do that it would be well worth a look (www.ulead.co.uk).

Oh and I was absolutely gutted about losing the photos, especially as I new it was my own stupid fault.

Oscar1
06-11-2003, 01:25
Thanks
I might download that software.
I have been trying out the camera and it is great.
The movie feature is very good. I should be able to make small movies to e-mail, or put on my website for all to see. How technology has moved on. The only thing they need to design is cheap ink for printers or a self filling cartridge.[msnwink]
Thanks again

Oscar

huckleberry house
06-11-2003, 02:09
Hi Oscar
It has been about a year since I last bought a sony memory stick but I paid £40 for 128mb from Us including delivery and I know prices have plummeted since, so £100 for 256 sounds way too much.

Lesley

Oscar1
06-11-2003, 02:13
Hi Lesley
That was from Selfridges. In Dixons it was about 120gbp.
So I might get it from the states, Im sure I will be able to find a good deal.
Thanks for that
Oscar

MTP
06-11-2003, 02:52
The only thing to watch with the video (apart from obvious stuff like file size) is the CODEC. This is the software code that the computer COdes and DECodes the video file with for playing. I had recorded some lovely stuff when mucking around with the camera at my brother's wedding. I put together a photogallery file with my video editing software for my brother and his wife and then tried to import the video clips into it, only to find that the computer didn't have the correct CODEC's. This would probably be able to be sorted if I contacted Canon, and may be a peculiarlity of Canon's gear, but it will really annoy surfers of your web-site if a video tour feature doesn't work.

Just one quick thought, though, for all you villa owner's out there. It would be really easy to offer to send a CD with either a Mpeg or VCD video tour of your villa on it to people that you were sending a brochure to or as a (sizeable) download from your website and it may just clinch that booking.

MTP
06-11-2003, 03:09
Just checked 7dayshop.com - 256Mb memory stick £72.99. Don't you just love online shopping! Closest match on Wlmart's web site was a 128 Mb memory stick for $54.86 (presumably before tax).

Have to agree with your comment from another thread about spending so much time checking in to this forum, it is all to infectious (especially with only 6 weeks on Saturday to go till our next visit[msnsmile2]).

huckleberry house
06-11-2003, 03:43
Hi Oscar

Have a look on ebay.co.uk

http://search.ebay.co.uk/ws/search/SaleSearch?socurrencydisplay=2&salocatedincountry=3&maxrecordsreturned=300&sosortproperty=1&ht=1&satitle=sony+memory+stick&sasaleclass=2&sorecordsperpage=50

Some great deals here on buy it now.

Lesley

chrisj
06-11-2003, 12:51
You shouldnt have to pay tax on 7dayshop, they are an offshore company. If you sign up
onto their site, you get emails when they have really cheap specials. I got 3 64Meg cards
for my Fuji for £16 just before our holiday :D

Easty
13-11-2003, 17:34
Try mx2.com who are also in Channel islands. I bought a 256mb flashcard for Canon camera for £36 about 3 months ago!! A real bargain

In fact here is link to make it easier £39 by the looks of it!
http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_Compact_Flash_Cards_293.html

Good luck

Oscar1
13-11-2003, 21:54
Thanks for the link. But my Camera is the Sony DSC-V1 which takes a memory stick. I have checked on the web site and the memory sticks only go up to 128mb, at 41GBP.
But thanks anyway.
Oscar

Fergie
10-12-2003, 14:51
I hope it works out for you and good luck on reading the instruction booklet. I had one of those that came with my new computer but I figured it out but I do highly suggest that you read the manual.
Good luck and post some pics if you can. :)