PDA

View Full Version : flying chocolate over the Atlantic

ianandsue
03-11-2003, 23:15
I know this is probably a really stupid question but does anyone know what the law is on taking chocolate in to America - I am talking about a large tin of Quality Street!

Lakul
03-11-2003, 23:26
We have taken chocolate over for friends, and as far as I know there is not a problem with taking it over.

fiona
03-11-2003, 23:44
No problem with chocolate, tea and biscuits, no for meat products, fruit - including dried fruit etc.

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
03-11-2003, 23:49
No meat, fish or fruit but chocolate should be ok.

wilfy
03-11-2003, 23:58
Our first visit after closing, 2 of the large 1 kilo bars of cadbury's for our MC's family's. No problems at all either end.

And the smile on their little cherub faces when they unwrapped it. (This is Ma + pa we're talking about here:D:D) I think we've found a friend for life. Albeit they did tell us they rationed it..... 2 evenings later all gone.

Oscar1
04-11-2003, 00:38
Im glad you asked that question, we have just bought 8 large bars of chocolate. We promised so many people we would bring it over.
Last time we took chocolate over, we gave one bar to a friend for his kids but they didnt get it. He ate it himself, and said he couldnt help himself. He said he had one peice and then he blacked out, when he awoke, all the chocolate had been eaten. So his kids had to make do with Hershey bars[V]
This time we will make sur the children get them.

Oscar

chrizzy100
04-11-2003, 00:45
quote:Originally posted by ianandsue

I know this is probably a really stupid question but does anyone know what the law is on taking chocolate in to America - I am talking about a large tin of Quality Street!

My mum was told last year they could not post it to us....but I think its ok now......something to do with mad cow..[msneek]my mother in law carried on posting chocolate to us and it got here ok.:D

ianandsue
04-11-2003, 02:27
Thankyou everyone for your comments - I'm so glad I,m not the only one whos thought about this!!

gromit
30-01-2004, 23:47
I go over to the US a lot with food and basically the rule is no meat, fish, milk or fresh fruit. As long as you declare it to customs (agriculture) on the form they will more than likely say thats fine and wave you through, however if you get stopped at random or by the sniffer dogs and they find something you haven't declared they like to prove a point!

kevinprewett
31-01-2004, 02:14
quote:Originally posted by gromit

I go over to the US a lot with food and basically the rule is no meat, fish, milk or fresh fruit. As long as you declare it to customs (agriculture) on the form they will more than likely say thats fine and wave you through, however if you get stopped at random or by the sniffer dogs and they find something you haven't declared they like to prove a point!

Hi,
yes, never try to outwit customs - those beagles in green jackets can be really embarassing when they sit down next to your bags or trolley!!

Kevin[msnembarrased]

LesleyB
31-01-2004, 03:41
One visit to Florida the dogs went wild around our baggage - we forgot to throw out some banana skins - thought we were going to be arrested, but the dog handler was very sympathetic when we owned up.

The Thorntons chocolates posed no problem!

Lesley

esprit
31-01-2004, 04:15
Walgreen now sell Cadburys and WalMart have After Eight mints ( I treated myself to a box this week) but have never seen Quality Street here,

markfried
02-02-2004, 05:48
i can say, as have others, that chocolate seems to hold no problems. Of course as with Customs there is a chance it is down to the person you get at the counter, but I took 4x 1Kg bars to friends in Memphis (going from London to Chicago (customs) and then onto Orlando and then back to Chicago and onto Memphis) and 3 1/2 years ago I flew with 2 200gram bars of cadburys. I never declared it that time as I didn't fill out the customs form, but I declared it this last time (came back 3 days ago) in the box including chocolate and got asked what I had out of the selection. The man at chicago then wrote 'candy' in big letters on the form.

chrizzy100
02-02-2004, 06:15
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Walgreen now sell Cadburys and WalMart have After Eight mints ( I treated myself to a box this week) but have never seen Quality Street here,

Talking of chocolate.......there's a box in our fridge Julie....my mum give it to me....but I had no room to bring it home....its wrapped up in Christmas paper......take it home with you if you like.........

blott
02-02-2004, 15:19
Julie, now there's an offer you can't refuse...[msnwink]

tinkerbell
02-02-2004, 15:46
I'm afraid Julie that Cadbury's chocloate from Walgreens is nowhere near as good as the real thing! They do sell it in the british food store in Old Town kissimmee, but at a premium of course!

When I was living in Australia, we were sent some xmas tree decorations made from Cadbury's milk chocolate, and wow, it was delicious, and I'd had no idea how different to the aussie version until I tasted our version again!! Nothing compares!!!

neilandkay
02-02-2004, 21:21
If you check the Cadbury's sold in Walgreens / Albertsons etc you will probably find it is made under licence by Herseys. Now how Cadbury's would let Hersheys ruin their chocolate I don't know....

Sometimes you can find imported Cadbury's creme eggs.

The moral, check the label and see where it is manufactured. If it is by Herseys then it is NOT the same!!!

--Kay

chrizzy100
02-02-2004, 21:38
quote:Originally posted by blott

Julie, now there's an offer you can't refuse...[msnwink]

Its my fav too.......and I forgot it was there until we packed and cleaned the fridge.....I was gutted.......[msncry][msncry]

chris c
04-02-2004, 20:29
When we went over for the closing of our villa in November (Virgin Airlines), they gave a list of the things that you could not take into the U.S. one of these was chocolate!
They suggested handing anything on the list to a member of the crew.
I had just bought some Cadbury's miniatures at the Duty Free shop, so I thought I'd risk it, as we had taken chocolate over many times before (it's an addiction of mine!!).

When we arrived at immigration, there was a list of all the things that were not allowed in. Chococolate was NOT on the list. PHEW!! Great sighs of relief. Two weeks of "cold turkey" did not appeal.

Christine

orlandobabe
14-02-2004, 02:39
Our man co asked us to bring some Heinz baked beans over-and in our hurry-we always do things at last gasp-our daughter picked up beans with the little sausages in.

At Sanford airport the customs officer went through all the provisions we had brought and removed them!

No doubt they made a tasty snack later on!

floridadreamvilla.co.uk
14-02-2004, 02:51
Hi Ian and Sue,

Now it would be a crime NOT to take chocolate into the US:D:D:D

Sarah

chrisj
14-02-2004, 03:11
Can I ask about Pop Tarts, our kids love em for a quick breccie and we want to take some
packets with us, also what about packets of cereals ???

blott
14-02-2004, 03:55
You're on a possible import problem with Pop Tarts as they probably contain fruit - there are loads of them on sale in local supermarkets anyway!

Take cereals to Florida? You are kidding? [msnoo] Have you seen how many different types of cereals you can buy over there compared to here? We usually bring them back... [msnwink]

chrisj
14-02-2004, 15:00
Cheers Blott, wont take pop tarts then and might as well buy the cereals on our first day

esprit
14-02-2004, 18:23
You wont believe this. My husband just went back to the UK for a few days as his mother is very ill. On his return I castigated him for fergetting the Tetley teasbags I had ordered. He was convinced he had packed them. Anyway, I just unpacked his Winter woolies ( not needed here) and there was a tiny piece of white paper stuck to the top of the inside of the case saying it had been searched in Philadelphia and contraband removed. I reckon a customs officer was in a serious need of a good cuppa. Why? Because they let through Mr Kiplings Bakewells with glace cherries on ( fruit), paxo sage and ONION stuffing mix, winegums ( gelatine - meat product) and bisto ( well its probably just sodium monoglutamate anyway!!) Have never known anyone get tea confiscated before.

caroline
14-02-2004, 21:07
Julie - Perhaps the over zealous customs officer in Washington has been transferred[msnwink]

blott
14-02-2004, 21:59
Chris, we once brought back 8 packets of Fruit Loops but are now into Cranberry Crunch imports! People who live in USA and can get these whenever they like always fall about laughing when we let it slip... [msnembarrased]

Oh Julie, trust Terry's luggage to find the only Tetley teabag fan in the whole of Philadelphia (or even USA?) security! [msnsad] Now you'll have to spend the next week apologising to him as he obviously did pack them after all! [msnembarrased]

Pikey1999
14-02-2004, 22:47
Start of Tea Wars II ? [msnwink]

chrisj
15-02-2004, 00:27
Blott

The kids just loved fruit loops when we were there

As for tea bags we have taken our own before