PDA

View Full Version : Newspapers & Milk

Nostromo
03-11-2003, 20:34
We will be staying at an Orange Tree villa for 3 weeks. I suppose it is out of question to organise newspaper and/or milk delivered to the house? The paper does not HAVE to be British. Something like the NYT will do. Any chance?

florida4sun
03-11-2003, 20:37
No milk or paper deliveries. You can get english papers at the supermarket which is close by.

quote:Originally posted by Nostromo

We will be staying at an Orange Tree villa for 3 weeks. I suppose it is out of question to organise newspaper and/or milk delivered to the house? The paper does not HAVE to be British. Something like the NYT will do. Any chance?

MTP
06-11-2003, 00:29
We had the Orlando Sentinel delivered to the house on our last visit. They called the villa on our second or third day there as they were offering a reduced cost 4 week trial subscription to the Polk County area to try and increase circulation to the area. The telesales agent started by asking how we would like it delivered for x amount a day (I think it was about half the usual cost in store). We usually buy this paper anyway, so I said yes please. She then said that it was for a four week period and I apologized to her as we would only be there for the next two and a half weeks. I said that we would continue to just buy it in stores. At that she said that she would just have it delivered for free for the duration of the holiday anyway!!

It was lovely just picking it up from the drive every morning, made us feel more like locals than tourists!!

May be worth contacting them just to see if they could arrange for delivery for your holiday time.

ptcruisermom
13-12-2003, 04:22
I just this week arranged to have the Orlando Sentinal delivered. They have a minumum of 4 weeks, but you can cancel at any time andthey will refund your difference. We are only going to be staying 3 weeks. they were going to send a bill to the villa we were staying in but I told them there was no mail delivered there. They said I could just send them a check, which Idid yesterday. They were very nice. It was $16.92 for 4 weeks[msncool]

blott
13-12-2003, 14:24
Like in the UK, milk in Florida comes in similar sized (like our 6 pint) plastic containers and you'll find the use by dates are further ahead than with UK milk. The fridges are huge so you can safely get in enough to last for one or two weeks in one shopping trip and know that it will stay fresh (it does, we've never had milk go off in Florida although we often do in the UK).

You can buy newspapers from those machines which you'll see everywhere - usually blue on a metal stand - where you just need the right coins and open the small door.

esprit
13-12-2003, 17:39
Would agree with that last statsment about the milk. Weird , isnt it? Just bought some yesterday, fresh milk in a big plastic bottle, sell by date Dec 27th!!!!

blott
14-12-2003, 18:54
Just had a thought... in the US, the different types of milk are called different names.

If you want skimmed milk it's called 0% fat, semi-skimmed is 2% and whole milk is called 4%. Like the UK, the tops come in different colours but not all supermarkets have the same colours so you need to read the labels!

chrizzy100
14-12-2003, 19:52
quote:Originally posted by esprit

Would agree with that last statsment about the milk. Weird , isnt it? Just bought some yesterday, fresh milk in a big plastic bottle, sell by date Dec 27th!!!!

Hood milk lasts forever...

katy
06-01-2004, 04:48
We don't seem to have newsagents' shops in the US - all papers handle their own deliveries so you have to contact the paper direct. NYT does deliver nationwide, but not sure if they'd do it for a short time. Orlando Sentinel does carry some international news, & is good for finding events you might otherwise miss, check it for coupons too. Miami Herald's bigger, & probably carries more international news. As for milk, I've never heard of doorstep deliveries over here. The milk really does last for ages - don't ask me how, I dont think I want to know! There are smaller sizes than a gallon, but sometimes a half gallon or even a quart costs more than a gallon! I'm used to it now, can't say I miss waking to the clinking of bottles at 6am & finding your milk an hour later stewing in the sun, with the blue tits having pecked a hole in the top.