PDA

View Full Version : Key West / Florida Keys

Tonish
20-04-2008, 15:27
Considering splitting our holiday in August between Captiva and The Keys. We have never got very far down through the Keys in the past and wondered is Key West a place where you could stay for a week (they have some nice villas for rent) or is it more suitable for a day or two visit?

Bearing in mind 4 kids with us 17, 13, 10, 6.

I read mixed reports - not particularly children friendly; too hot; no good unless you're into diving. On the other hand, if staying for a week, we would take a villa with a private pool so would spend the time between doing nothing at all at the pool and eating out in the evening, with occasional touristy trips in between.

Any thoughts from experienced Florida Keysians?

CERICROWLEY
20-04-2008, 16:07
Peter

We love the keys. My kids are now 15 and 12, but have been down there when they were 13 and 10.

August will be quite hot, but so is Orlando, I found it fine with the kids, there was so much more to keep us occupied, did the usual tourist spots etc, and throughly loved just chilling by the pool as well, although we have not been in August, we did both Christmas and then a last year New Years. I would not go down the Keys New Years Eve again, although if you are a party animal it would be a blast, just not my cup of tea. I love the laid back attitude in the Keys so different to Orlando, even though Floridian is a chill zone itself, the Key West is like 5 steps back more "cool dude"[msnwink]

SteveandJan
20-04-2008, 17:24
We love the keys and the kids always talk about that holiday. We stayed in Key West and Islamorada, which is the middle of the keys. Very quiet and relaxing after Orlando.

MrCake
20-04-2008, 22:26
i haven't been but planning on going next trip i hear it's about 4 hours drive from orlando is that right ?

CERICROWLEY
20-04-2008, 22:39
Steve

It is slightly more than that. From cocoa beach started at 8.00am we got all the way down to key west at 6.30pm we did a pit stop or two along the way. But generally was a non-stop drive.

It may not look overly that long in miles, but as you reach the keys, there are restricted speed limits, as some of the roads are only one lane either side wide, and also some of way is in state reserves.

Tonish
20-04-2008, 22:42
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:MrCake Posted - 20 Apr 2008 : 18:26:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i haven't been but planning on going next trip i hear it's about 4 hours drive from orlando is that right ? [/quote]

'fraid not. It's about 4 hrs to Miami then another 3.5 to 4 hrs to Key West, although a lot of the other Keys are much closer to Miami.

That's the reason we've not made it to Key West yet!

MrCake
21-04-2008, 22:26
ah[msnembarrased] thanks for that Tonish might think again

Katys Grandad
21-04-2008, 23:14
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:MrCake Posted - 20 Apr 2008 : 18:26:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i haven't been but planning on going next trip i hear it's about 4 hours drive from orlando is that right ? [/quote]

'fraid not. It's about 4 hrs to Miami then another 3.5 to 4 hrs to Key West, although a lot of the other Keys are much closer to Miami.

[/quote]

If you're going to Captiva first, you could catch the catamaram from Fort Myers to Key West. Personally I think a full week in Key West might be a long time. Just a personal view, but it won't be much different to Captiva although both are a world away from the Orlando experience (actually I prefer Captiva to both).

You could of course keep your rental on Captiva and take the catamaram to key West for a couple of days to have a look for the future. Your call!!

Tonish
22-04-2008, 00:53
<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Katys Grandad Posted - 21 Apr 2008 : 19:14:43

quote:
Originally posted by Tonish

quote:
MrCake Posted - 20 Apr 2008 : 18:26:35
i haven't been but planning on going next trip i hear it's about 4 hours drive from orlando is that right ?

If you're going to Captiva first, you could catch the catamaram from Fort Myers to Key West. Personally I think a full week in Key West might be a long time. Just a personal view, but it won't be much different to Captiva although both are a world away from the Orlando experience (actually I prefer Captiva to both).

You could of course keep your rental on Captiva and take the catamaram to key West for a couple of days to have a look for the future. Your call!! [/quote]

That's exactly what we decided yesterday. But we'd be in Key West without a car??

Katys Grandad
22-04-2008, 08:13
If you aren't going out of KW to the other keys during the time you're there, having a car is a hindrance.

Karen
22-04-2008, 16:09
There is a trolley bus you can catch to take you around Key west to get your bearings, but most places are easy to walk to

CERICROWLEY
22-04-2008, 19:52
We did quite a bit down in Key West on the two occassions we went, although we have now also found a number of places that look good, but do need a car to drive to as they would be a fair walk. But then I could always have a glass of mojito to keep be going.[8D][party1]

blott
22-04-2008, 20:11
Grab the Conch Train - for a small fare, you can get on and off wherever you like around the town and you get the added bonus of a guide/driver who will tell you all about what you're looking at!

Don't forget to visit the sunset ceremony in Mallory Square at, mmmmm, let me think... sunset! [msnwink]

Tonish
22-04-2008, 21:55
Sounds just the thing, thank y'all. Ferry and conch train it is.

Just booking my villa in Captiva village now and it looks great, roll on the summer!

berni_richards
23-04-2008, 03:11
no car needed in key west I can second that just to get there and back
unless you fly from miami to key west????

MarkJan
23-04-2008, 10:57
Has anyone flown from Orlando to Key West? We ahve a few days from 28 Dec to 1st Jan where our villa is booked and thinking of where to go.

bart
20-04-2010, 18:01
hi

We want to see some of the keys and were wondering whats the best way to do it.
We have our villa in Orlando and were thinking of heading down to see them OR perhaps go to Naples then everglades and some of the keys.
Has anyone any idea of how long from Naples to verglades and then onto the keys

Thanks